When are cucumbers ready to pick?

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

When are cucumbers ready to pick?
« on: July 04, 2019, 15:03 »
Never grown these before but I have one at the bottom that's about 7"-8" long. How do you know when it's ready to pick?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

Re: When are cucumbers ready to pick?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 15:10 »
The right length would depend on what cucumber you are growing.  If it's supposed to be like the ones we usually buy in the shops, then it probably needs to grow a bit more.  If you are growing a "mini" variety, then 6 or 7 inches should be fine.  I only grow the shorter ones because there's only two of us, and it means that none of the cucumber is wasted.  I usually cut them just before they are fully "filled out". Almost like a balloon that has a little air let out of it - not looking fit to burst, with tight, shiny skin, and not totally smooth.  I find they are very tender at this stage, but can get a bit of a tough skin if left on too long.  If they are as prolific as they usually are you can try them at different stages and choose the one you prefer.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 15:43 »
These F1 cukes are called Passandra and I got them from D.T.Brown which says "this all-female variety produces a heavy crop of 6in-long mini-cues which are big on flavour and crunch". I feel some sort of salad is imminent with some newly-dug pots and French beans.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 17:41 »
These F1 cukes are called Passandra and I got them from D.T.Brown which says "this all-female variety produces a heavy crop of 6in-long mini-cues which are big on flavour and crunch". I feel some sort of salad is imminent with some newly-dug pots and French beans.

Definitely pick it now as if you leave it on it will inhibit the formation of more.

xx
How do i know when leeks are ready to pick?

Started by CazAmelia on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 14:15
by hamstergbert
xx
Pod size, ready to pick?

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 08:54
by BobE
xx
How do i know rhubarb is ready to pick ?

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 18:43
by Sharon
xx
When are sweetcorn ready to pick?

Started by Catherine on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:48
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 42 queries.