GOT MY COOP!!....now what?

• 14 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:05 »
Hi folks!

Well...finally done it. I was thinking of making my own coop but after pricing up the wood etc I figured I could get one for not much more than the price of the materials! I actually banged a load of stuff from the garage on e-bay and basically swapped it for a new coop (thereby ignoring the actual price of the coop!!) So...now what?

Here's a list of things I think I need to buy

Feeder
Drinker
Food
Grit
Straw
Hay (for nest box)

What 'health' items should I get? It's a new coop so I don't envisage red mite too soon? but I'd like to get a chuck first aid kit and have it at hand...any tips?
I've also heard about cider vinegar? but what's it for and how does you use it?

Right....now...here's the big one

I have decided on these chucks

Bantam Buff Orpington
Bantam White Pekin
Bantam Speckledlady (think thats what it's called? any speckled Bantam, good with kids would be good so open to suggestions)
but...where can I get them from? Does anyone know where I could get them - I'm from Chesterfield, Derbyshire so local would be best!

Thanks in advance, I'll post up pics once the ladies are here!!

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:11 »
Hello Mick Wood in tarn. I'm down the road from you. The chook place is next door to you so you won't have far to go to check out the stock  :D They have everything you could possibly need for your darlings. She won't sell you hay though as hens don't use it cos they get their feet tangled in it. You need straw.  I only have 3 chooks so not much straw used. I got a small straw bale in April from Wilko and still got loads left. I put Aubiose under that as it absorbs moisture, eg wee  :D   The chook place sells of that for about £8 -£10.  Little Morton Farm on Little Morton Lane (the turn off at the Gate pub, towards Pilsley)

Check out the website as they aren't always open  www.littlemortonfarm.co.uk

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:19 »
Thanks for that! yeah, i've been up to Little morton farm and the lady there was VERY helpful! got some lovely eggs from them  :D

I can get my stuff from them...all except the chooks. They sell chooks but not Bantams and not the ones I want - hence the plea for advice on any sellers of the breeds I want.

BTW...can you get speckled silkies? or Blue silkies?

Cheers

Mick

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:23 »
Everyone round there has banties. Have you visited the local lotties as I bet someone there will know where to get them from. My father in law kept them and I recall he used to get his from someone in Holmewood. You're in the right neck of the woods but it's just a case of asking about.  There's Regency Poultry at Sutton Spring Wood  :D  They have a web site

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Re: GOT MY COOP!!....now what?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:42 »
Quote from: "mickwood"

Hay (for nest box)

chuck first aid kit and have it at hand...any tips?

I have decided on these chucks

Bantam Buff Orpington
Bantam White Pekin
Bantam Speckledlady (think thats what it's called? any speckled Bantam, good with kids would be good so open to suggestions)
!!

hi mick. please dont get hay, its not good for chooks and can give them a compacted crop.

you will need some oyster shell as well as grit, otherwise lots of soft eggy's.

things i always have to hand are:  vaseline,purple spray and wound powder.

red mite and wormer. most use flubenvet. gteat stuff.

for kiddies, it looks like youve done your homework and picked some friendly breeds

asking for suggestions on breeds on here is asking for confusion. we all have our very favourites.

not me tho....no preference whatsoever  :roll:

Jellyhead

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:52 »
:shock:  :shock:FIBBER :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 14:38 »
Hay...got it - lots of people have said that's a no no! So Straw it is!  'Compacted Crop'? not sure what's meant by that but enough people say no to hay so that's good enough for me! :D

Oyster shells...am I right in thinking that's for calcium? If so, am I also right in thinking eggshells (dried and crushed - I assume to a powder?) can be a good alternative? Would that be put in a seperate bowl or just mix it in with the grit?

Thanks folks...hopefully those ladies could be moved in within the week!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 14:55 »
Quote from: "mickwood"
Hay...got it - lots of people have said that's a no no! So Straw it is!  'Compacted Crop'? not sure what's meant by that but enough people say no to hay so that's good enough for me! :D

Oyster shells...am I right in thinking that's for calcium? If so, am I also right in thinking eggshells (dried and crushed - I assume to a powder?) can be a good alternative? Would that be put in a seperate bowl or just mix it in with the grit?

Thanks folks...hopefully those ladies could be moved in within the week!!

Hi Mickwood

A compacted or impacted crop is when the hen scoffs too much long stringy food such as long grass or bits of tasty string and it gets tangled and can't pass through. This creates a partial blockage and stops the hen eating enough and can lead to the contents of the crop fermenting which is known as sour crop. This can lead to poisoning and death.

Bang on with the oyster shell. You can use eggshells but we tried it for a week and was so much effort it was easier to order a big bag from the local pet shop or oyster grit, which is shell and poultry grit mixed. Though you can buy it separate. It's only a few quid for 20kg which will last you a few years I should think. If it's all put in a bowl under cover they can help themselves when they need it :)

Rob  8)

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 15:05 »
OK...I'm being thick here aren't I? What 'crop'?  :?

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 19:35 »
Hi there

The crop is like a pouch where their food sits during the day to soften, at the end of a day you can see the crop bulging on their chest as it will be full of the days feed.  Once softened the food passes from the crop into the gizzard where it is digested further (think this is about right, sorry no expert).  You need to ensure your hens have access to grit which is used in the gizzard to grind up the food, if they free range they will probably find their own.  Long grass can block the crop stopping the food passing through, called compacted crop.  I always give my girls a visual check of their crops in the morning to check they are not still full.
Hope that helps!

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 19:44 »
oops sorry - also meant to say about apple cider vinegar that you mentioned.  You can add this as a supplement to their drinking water which I understand helps with digestion (?) and has other health benefits.  You can pick it up at horse supplier/country stores.  I use this one week out of four but  you don't have to use it.  I know that my father in law swigs it when he stays with us and he looks pretty sprightly so it must do something good!!!!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 22:13 »
Thanks for that! I feel educated  :D

Keep all advice coming!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 22:24 »
We have never given our girls egg shells in any way, as Brian was always told it's a bit like cannibalism!!!  And was told when he was younger it could encourage the chooks to eat their own eggs.

I know some people do it, but we never have!

I hope you get all the chickens you want!  You'll love them!!!!

FCG

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 22:30 »
Good luck with the banties. I'm looking to get some of them as chicks next year, let us know how you get on. Apparently they don't destroy your garden as quick as full sized chickens, is that why you are getting them?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I currently have a clove of garlic in my water, should i switch to ACV or poultry spice?

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 22:33 »
garlic in water? ACV or poultry spice? eh? wha???...A...C...V...APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!! GOT IT!  :lol:  Poultry spice and garlic are alternative for the same thing I assume?

Yeah, getting Bantams because I have a smaller garden so think smaller birds make more sense?

xx
Got my coop - what next?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 11:50
by Craig69
xx
Which coop?

Started by Mulberry1990 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 10:42
by Vecten
xx
who to buy your coop from

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 19:03
by Bogof
xx
Where to put a coop/run

Started by red on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 12:25
by Lastcast

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 39 queries.