Coir compressed blocks

• 5 Replies

MillieClare

Coir compressed blocks
« on: December 14, 2023, 12:42 »
Has anyone had any experience of using compressed coir. Is it worth using?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Coir compressed blocks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 19:56 »
Yes and yes.  I have had good results using it 50/50 with the peat free multi purpose, which is all I can seem to get locally.  On its own, it is not so good in my experience.  It dries out too quickly and doesn’t hold onto nutrients for long.  The multi purpose alone is too wet and claggy, so between the both of them, they make a decent mix.

I would buy small blocks as well.  I got 2 giant ones from a big on-line retailer and it is impossible to break bits off without getting it everywhere.  I thought I was being clever, but a multi pack of small blocks (which I nearly bought) would have been so much better  ::)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 16:16 »
Could you use the small coir block in the bottom of planters, or would it not hold when watering ?  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 16:38 »
I think it could be quite an expensive experiment. I suspect it could easily dry out, or fall through holes in the pot.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 21:16 »
Could you use the small coir block in the bottom of planters, or would it not hold when watering ?  Mrs Bouquet

It will expand if put in dry and would push the compost up and out of the top.  If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the Swell gel type products, there are a variety of things you can use and the internet is full of ideas, but a lot of them won’t rot away, so that is something to consider if you want to empty the compost out onto a flower bed.

I have seen broken up Oasis flower arranging foam or cut up pieces of an old coir hanging basket liner used to good effect.  They don’t rot but are fairly easy to sieve out of old compost.

It also helps a lot if you mulch the top of the container.  1 bag of small decorative bark chips would do a lot of pots.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 13:04 »
why didn't I think of that - I have got all the coir liners from baskets.  I could re-use those.  Thanks,  Mrs B

xx
Coco peat replacement blocks

Started by richyrich7 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 22:34
by rainbow1

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 41 queries.