Phone advice please

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

Phone advice please
« on: October 13, 2021, 12:25 »
But please use simple words, that I can understand LOL.

What is the difference between an I phone and Android phone,  and what does ie:   40 G mean  ?  Thanks Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Hampshire Hog

Re: Phone advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 13:42 »
Simple bit first
An iPhone is a mobile phone from Apple
An Android phone is one by any other manufacturer
These two types of phones use different so called operating systems.
By 40G I assume you mean 4G it’s just a description of the signal strength you are getting in an area from your carrier eg Vodafone. I find it’s normally 4G but can drop to 3G. I’m no expert though on the exact implications of 4G vs 3G I assume it refers to speed.
Hope this helps
Any IT expert feel free to clarify further!
Cheers HH
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 14:08 »
An iPhone is a mobile phone from Apple , but is more like a small computer, with the many functions it has.
All the youngsters in my family prefer the iphone for the games, Aps and film screening etc.
An Android phone doesn't have as many functions and, in my opinion, is easier to get the hang of - I've tried both and prefer Android. Stig bought me an iphone, lastyear - but when it died (dropped it in the bath  ::)) I went back to Android.
So opinions will differ  :D

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 15:39 »
Are you getting a new phone Mrs b? If so it's best to stick with the ecosystem you're used to. If you have an iphone or other apple devices (do you still have an ipad?) stick with those.  Do you want to do something specific with it or are you just being forced into the upgrade as everything wants a smart phone.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 16:16 »
Are you getting a new phone Mrs b? If so it's best to stick with the ecosystem you're used to. If you have an iphone or other apple devices (do you still have an ipad?) stick with those.  Do you want to do something specific with it or are you just being forced into the upgrade as everything wants a smart phone.
I am replacing my very original Samsung flip top, which I never use.  It is Pay as you go.  I cannot hear on it.
My ipad is doing well now.  I think I just let it run completely flat.  Don't use that much either.
The reason for a possible upgrade is because, my House/contents Insurance is due for renewal.  Because of my two water leak claims, the policy has gone up £235.  I expected that  BUT  what I didn't expect it that any future water leaks, the excess is now £2500.   !!!!!.    However they can provide me with a Leak Bot which works in conjunction with my Iphone or Android.  I can test for leaks as often as I like and my excess will go down to £1000 /claim.
After my blood pressure had returned to normal, reading all the details those two claims cost over £6,000 each, so even if I paid £2500 excess is it still cheaper than over £6 K.
I thought I would look around but, I do not want to commit myself to another monthly outgoing (saving it for Heating Bills).    I was looking at a site called Affordable Mobiles,  but it seems as though they want to tie me in for 24 months.  So probably on the back-burner and fingers crossed.     Thanks everybody for your help.    Mrs Bouquet

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 19:07 »
 :ohmy: That's a shocking excess ! I'm guessing that the app they want you to install will work on internet access so you may not actually need a mobile phone contract you can just connect the phone to your wifi (I have an old iphone 6 I use for Mother Lards banking apps without a sim). You may even find that the app will run on your ipad.  :)

If you actually want a new phone the monthly tie in is the best way to get one, despite it being morally offensive. I couldn't bring myself to do it a few months ago and bought a second hand iphone 8 from ebay for £200 and swapped the sim over.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 22:09 »
Hubby bought my iPhone outright for me & I don’t have a contract, I’m with gif gaff,pay £6 a month, they’re just putting the data up to 1 mb from 500mb & unlimited minutes & texts. I haven’t got an up to date phone,we both opted for a 5s I think it was. Links up with my iPad fine.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 05:35 »
Can 'Homeserve' help, Mrs B?

For better or worse, they do provide a service which is more convenient than shopping around yourself, and while I got fed up with them getting up to nearly a pound a day a few years back, and cancelled that agreement!

We then waited a few months and went back on a cheap rate/offer and now have about a tenner a month to pay, and an excess of £30.00, which seems OK, as a plumber will charge £40.00 just to turn up!

xx
Apps - help - new phone - help

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2022, 14:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Phone oddity.

Started by Welsh Merf on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2021, 11:47
by Welsh Merf
xx
mobile phone coverage

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2018, 05:39
by LILLILEAF
xx
Phone Line Fault

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 17:22
by grinling

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 43 queries.