New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Finally something to get working on

• 10 Replies

RecoveringAndy

Finally something to get working on
« on: October 12, 2021, 20:28 »
After 6 years on the waiting list I was offered an allotment on Friday. Elation turned into real disappointment pretty quick though. The plot was incredibly overgrown. Thick brambles, wild shrubs and trees. No gates or fences. Completely unworkable. Looks like it's been that way for 10 years.

Phoned the council and the lady handling allotments was super accomodating. Told me there wasn't much they could do but gave me the details of 6 more plots to look at on the site.

5 of them were even worse. Completely inaccessible, growth above my head. They'll all need heavy Machinery and many many skips worth of waste removing. I can't imagine anyone taking them as they are and the council don't seem keen on getting involved so I think they'll be that way for some time.

Anyway, the final plot showed a bit of potential. One third overgrown with weeds and nettles, a bit of rubble but nothing I wouldn't expect from a plot that's been vacant. The other two thirds at the back are going to need some petrol power to clear out but I think that can be done in slower time. 6 months rent free to take that into account.

Suspicious corrugated panel to deal with but the plot is super accessible and I can get my van right up to it (not all have access for vehicles).  Water tap on the perimeter and a 5G mast about 30m away means I might turn a bit of WFH to WFA next summer!

Currently lacking a gate and a physical boundary between the neighbouring plot which will also have new tenants soon I believe but otherwise I'm quite optimistic.

Plan is to get the first third ready to at least something in the ground during spring. I'll post some photos tomorrow so you can all tell me what a terrible mistake I've made in accepting the plot!

RecoveringAndy

Re: Finally something to get working on
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18 »
Photos below. Ariel view shows scale of plot and the difference between the condition of it.
IMG_20211013_095618.jpg
IMG20211013093354.jpg
IMG20211013093437.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 21:17 »
A bit of work that is for sure, but I don’t think you have made a mistake in accepting that plot.  Just take it slowly and steadily as you plan to and I am sure you will get there.

Welcome aboard by the way  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 21:18 »
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new lotty.  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 09:02 »
welcome Andy and no you haven't any made mistakes getting an allotment plot new shoot is absolutely rite little and often is he name of the game and when you do get the plot back to normal and start growing something you won't regret it

i look back at what it took me to get our plots back to an allotment instead of a jungle of weeds and its paid of over the years with plenty of good veg

its a pity the joy of having an allotment has gone down hill over the years but it seams there could be a light at the end of the tunnel because more and more people are looking for allotments here but unfortunately like you say people look at the overgrown plots and decide not to take it on I think the effort to bring these plots back to growing fresh veg is both challenging but rewarding at the end of the day anyway having said all that I wish you luck in getting your new plot back to something to will be proud of and I'm sure you will let us know how you get on

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 10:32 »
You’ll be as tough as Popeye when you’ve got that under control.  Love to see more pictures as you go on.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 11:29 »
Welcome to the site! Good bit of work ahead of you there, but when you're finally harvesting your own grub from the plot it'll be well worth it!

RecoveringAndy

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 20:45 »
Day 1.

Four hours made a massive change. Beneath the nettles and weeds, there was quite a few bits of carpet, degraded plastic sheeting.   In some areas the weeds had become one with the carpet, in others it lifted reasonably clean.

Foundations for what looks like it was a greenhouse (by the amount of glass around) make a nice bit of definition for a bed.

Plan to go back tomorrow and clear the rubbish and rubble from the next section before covering everything. 

No intention of putting anything in the ground until spring as I've got a small section of garden to put my garlic and stuff in over winter. That should give the worms a bit of time to help out.

Got a bit deeper into the brambles covering the other half of the plot and there are a couple more small trees to identify.
IMG20211016145041-min.jpg
IMG20211016145053-min.jpg

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 22:23 »
Great job! There is a diary section here on the forums, you could start one of those to update the progress on the plot, we love photos by the way :)

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 07:14 »
Fabulous project!

Oddly enough, much of the joy of such a job is the actual graft to get it into a reasonable condition!

I find it odd that after being on a waiting list for so long, and then being offered several plots in such a state, someone on your council needs to be a little more diligent! This has happened here on occasions, and put people off, but anyway, you've won out now, so welcome!

Longshanks

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 14:18 »
Can you post pics of the really bad ones sometime?

xx
Finally, I have a garden!

Started by mebanana on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2016, 20:06
by mebanana

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 47 queries.