Tree Bark ?

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Tree Bark ?
« on: August 22, 2021, 12:24 »
What is the difference between Tree bark and mini bark chips that you buy in bags from g/centres.  I want to put some down at the back of a flower bed against a fence, and should I put a barrier between it and the fence to prevent the fence rotting.   Thanks,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Tree Bark ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 14:21 »
Mini bark chips are smaller, usually more rounded and look neater.  Bagged chipped bark is larger pieces and gives a rougher look to your mulch.  You could use either and as it is the back of the border where you won’t see it that much, I would go for the cheaper normal chipped bark.

You shouldn’t need to put a barrier between either and the fence, but try not to pile it up against the panels.  Normal bagged chipped bark will drain faster.  Mini bark pieces fit together more so will hold on to dampness if it is very wet weather.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 16:39 »
I have to agree with you New Shoot not to pile the bark near  the fence as this will cause damp problems we put small concrete edging at the bottom of our fence panels and post's with the fence panels slightly raised above the edging

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 16:51 »
Thanks for your replies.  I had a brainwave today.  I have moved 3 fairly large pieces of sandstone and put them in front fence, not right up hard by maybe an inch of so in front.   I shall put the bark up to the stones and that will keep it away from the fence.   Heavy work for me.  I lifted out a very very heavy large container
, so will have to find a few more stones.   Lifted out 2 half sacks of sifted earth and put that down under where the bark is to go.  m Moved a paving stone that I get up to the back on, and this is all done folded double under a buddliea tree with just a 4ft clearance.So if daughter is doing me a burger I shall eat it and enjoy.
Will get the bark tomorrow, I am reckoning about 4 bags.    Don't quite know how I shall move them yet !!
Thanks again,  Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 14:17 »
You can always get a nice young man to put them in your boot, drive home, then wiggle them out one at a time onto a large plank or similar that has some round metal pipings underneath, push the plank forward with your foot until the first back roller is free then move it to the front and repeat until it's where you want it; or you could..... suggestions from others? 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 17:04 »
I would suggest cutting open the bags in the boot of your car and taking the contents out a bucket load at a time.

You may have to hoover the boot carpet, but that is not likely to do you a mischief, whereas lifting things that are too heavy may well do. 

I have moved 3 fairly large pieces of sandstone and put them in front fence, not right up hard by maybe an inch of so in front.   I shall put the bark up to the stones and that will keep it away from the fence.   Heavy work for me.  I lifted out a very very heavy large container
, so will have to find a few more stones.   Lifted out 2 half sacks of sifted earth and put that down under where the bark is to go.  m Moved a paving stone that I get up to the back on, and this is all done folded double under a buddliea tree with just a 4ft clearance.

I wish you lived closer to me so I could come round and help.  Please take care Mrs B.  We do quite like you in just the one piece you know  :)

xx
Bark

Started by lizziemac on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 08:32
by arugula
xx
Bark

Started by lincspoacher on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 14:40
by Mark E Smith
xx
Composting shredded bark

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 17:26
by Goosegirl
xx
Willow bark rooting hormone

Started by WebSiteEvo on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 17:58
by WebSiteEvo

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 42 queries.