Mouli graters...

• 2 Replies

Growster...

Mouli graters...
« on: September 16, 2019, 19:41 »
Does anyone still have one of these?

My dad bought one back in the sixties, then went the whole hog and got a version which looked like a modern-day drone, which took up most of the kitchen table!

I bought one from a shop it T.Wells, but although the clip broke, it still does a great grate (?)! Subsequent purchases on Ebay came up with something similar, but they don't seem to grate the mustard...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Mouli graters...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 20:27 »
Has your one got different sized graters for different things?

I use one of these when I make passata, https://www.kitchencraft.co.uk/occasions/themes/in-season-spring/master-class-heavy-duty-rotary-food-mill-puree-maker.htm
it's much tougher than the plastic mill that I had from Seeds of Italy. That one didn't last long at all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 20:27 by mumofstig »

Growster...

Re: Mouli graters...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 07:05 »
The three-legged one was the 'drone' style, and the metal one is similar to the kit we bought on Ebay! I can't find the plastic one anywhere, but we got it in that fabulous cookery shop in Monson Rd, T.Wells, some years ago!

They're both great for parmesan although Mrs Growster prefers the knuckle-shredder type still!

I bought a mandolin with multi-blades recently, and while it's well made, it makes such a mess, we use these bits of kit instead! It's possibly because I attack the blades with a bunch of bananas instead of a slow-hand...

Like your passata machine, Mum! While we often reduce blitzed toms and freeze them, it never seems the same as the real thing you make. Puree, while cheap, can get a bit overpowering if the same bunches of bananas try to get the absolute last tiny drop out of the tube with the help of a hammer, a vice and a pair of scissors to cut open the top for the final milligram...
vintage-mouli-vegetable-shredder-and-grater-ERY38G.jpg
Mouli metal.jpg
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:05 by Growster... »

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 42 queries.