Mower - not a clue

• 5 Replies

Paul Plots

Mower - not a clue
« on: March 05, 2020, 11:44 »
18 month old "new" petrol mower slow to start then snuffled to a stop.
Last year's petrol?.. could it be as simple as trying to empty the tank and try again with fresh?

Oil is fine.. I checked.

Advice please (I apologise for what is probably a daft question but petrol engines - something I'm hopeless with)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Growster...

Re: Mower - not a clue
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 11:59 »
I think you're right about old petrol Paul. Chuck what's in the tank (sob), and fill with new!

It may be worthwhile using a higher octane for a first fill, as it will clean out the gunk from last year. (I was advised to do this all the time with our car, as we only do short journeys)! Otherwise there's a product called Wynns, which is an additive.

(When you've got it going and have finished, you could pop over here and do ours as well if you like..;0)

jezza

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 12:22 »
Hello This is how I was taught how to service mower engines clean carburettor float bowl ,check spark plug clean or replace ,check air filter depending on type clean or replace  replace petrol be careful using a high octane fuel I have seen a ride on mower with the back of the crank case blown out it had had aviation fuel in it it didn't take off , if engine continues to die take scowling off and see if there's a pipe that runs across from the exhaust to the carb this can have a crack in it  it might also be worth getting the carb sonic cleaned   jezza

jdwmk

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 10:21 »
Hi,
I had a similar issue last year with my mower.
Turns out the throttle cable had stretched so was not pulling the throttle out enough and the engine stalled. Had done a complete strip down of the engine - all clean, hadn't left fuel in it, so it was fresh fuel.
Replaced the cable, all working fine again.
May be worth checking.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 13:02 »
99% of all petrol mower problems with starting and running are due to issues with carburettor/fuel. Replacing old with new fuel should be your first option. If that fails? Then cleaning the carb is the next option. Sticky float, debris in jets and fuel bowl require to be checked out. Split diaphragm, especially with mowers whereby the carb is attached to the top of the fuel tank. What is the engine make of your mower?   

jezza

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 16:56 »
Hello quite a few of the modern engines don't  have a throttle cable especially if they have ready start fitted just a primer button and a O.P C lever   jezza

xx
some advice on a new mower

Started by bandoboy on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 13:46
by bandoboy
clip
Mechanical law mower

Started by Anton on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 18:25
by Anton
clip
My 'new' push mower

Started by vikingraider on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 28, 2024, 12:32
by vikingraider
xx
Recommend me a mower

Started by si-mate on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 08:26
by si-mate

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.