Chicks and adults..

• 8 Replies

fd01

Chicks and adults..
« on: June 09, 2012, 21:22 »
I've got my chicks and adults all in together. What do people do with regards feeding? Adults are on Layers pellets, the chicks are now weaned onto growers pellets. I know they can't really eat layers pellets due to the protein? but i don't know what to do to make them eat the correct pellet?!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicks and adults..
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 22:41 »
when I have chicks I keep them in their own run for a couple of hours in the morning so they just get to fill up on their own food, then let them roam with the big girls until mid afternoon when they go back to their own run. Remember the big girls shouldn't eat the chick feed if it has anti coccidiosis treatment in it otherwise you will have to throw their eggs away.
Staffies are softer than you think.

fd01

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 22:59 »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'll try knocking up another run tomorrow, they're too big for the hutch now unfortunately. Not sure if it has any treatment in it (i haven't supplemented it).

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 23:01 »
if the feed says ACS on it then it is medicated and egg laying hens should not eat it.

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:33 »
I run my youngsters with my big girls, I make sure all my feed is free of any meds and do a mix of layers & growers pellets with mixed corn wild bird feed and a little chick crumb. Larger amounts of pellets IE: 2 cups layers, 2cups growers, 1cup chick crumb, mixed corn and wild bird feed.
I put this in all of my feeders and find my chicks do really well on it and two of my older girls who were laying eggs that either had no shell or poor shell, and had been for approx 6 months,  are now laying normal eggs!  ::)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:43 »
I'd keep them separate too. I always use the feed with ACS as a precaution for the youngsters and wouldn't want my layers to get at it..

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:12 »
I am never sure what to do for best. Have layers in large feeder. Then as Georgie is only 6 weeks chick crumb separately but Bess and Minnie (who is laying again) can get to it too (and Georgie can get to layers)  because seems mean to put Georgie all on her own she loves freeranging with others. At the moment Mo and her four 2 week old chicks are separate within the chicken area on chick crumb. Need to get growers now for Georgie too. Little bit of mixed corn in afternoons for all. They all seem well although Bess not laying much.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25 »
simple solution is to buy all non-medicated chick feed so any eggs laid could be eaten  :)

fd01

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 13:52 »
Hi everyone thanks for the replies, i checked the packaging on the pellets, no medication is added. I even went to my supplier to ask a few questions whilst buying another bag. He confirmed it's not medicated.

They get three mug fulls of growers, a mug of layers, half a mug of corn and sometimes they get supplemend with some chopped veg. They normally eat about 75% of this due to free-ranging all day from 7/8am till 6-7pm and eating whatever creepy crawlies they can find.

Cheers guys.

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 39 queries.