cordon or bush plum toms?

• 18 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
cordon or bush plum toms?
« on: June 19, 2010, 14:51 »
This year in my small polytunnel I've grown Incas a bush plum tomato. The trouble is they have gone crazy, lolling about all over the place and incredibly difficult to support, there are canes everywhere :ohmy:

Whereas the Purple Ukraine are behaving themselves as cordons usually do  :)

The only bush toms that I'd grown before were Red Alert and these were smaller and easily controllable. I think I'll only grow cordons in future unless anyone can recommend a well behaved bush plum.
Which ones do you grow?

penance

Re: cordon or bush plum toms?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 15:52 »
I'm growing Inca aswell this year but outside.
Plenty of fruit appearing on them but the plants are fairly well controlled at the moment.

I guess they haven't gone mad like yours as they are outside and cooler.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 16:32 »
San Marzano, but it needs a long growing season. It is reputedly the best flavoured of the plums.

BenefitofHindsight

• My Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 18:04 »
Unless you go for the smaller 'hanging basket type' bush varieties, they do tend to be quite thuggish in my experience, and generally require some degree of support. 

But I think it's worth a try as you can get an amazing yield from bush tomatoes IF you can keep them disease free for long enough.  I've tried a different variety each year and struggled to find one which will either ripen fully by the end of the season or survive without being hit by blight.  Roma's been the most successful one for me to date. 

Trying Principe Borghese this year - but not too hopefully that I'll get that true Italian sun-dried effect directly off the vine given our weather!
BoH
if only I knew yesterday what I know today...

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 20:04 »
Romas are reasonably behaved provided you pinch out suckers as you would for indeterminates. They usually crop very well if weather behaves as well.

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 20:13 »
Romas are reasonably behaved provided you pinch out suckers as you would for indeterminates. They usually crop very well if weather behaves as well.

Ooh you pinch out romas?? i was wondering .... *quickly runs off*

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 20:19 »
Even though romas are a bush variety, I do pinch out suckers. If I don't, they're everywhere like triffids and I can't get at the fruit.

andy135

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 20:25 »
I'm going onto my plot in the morning to prepare the ground for 3 x F1 Inca's and a couple of courgettes. It's the first time growing a bush variety for me. Be nice to compare the results with my greenhouse toms for flavour.  :)

penance

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 22:37 »
I've grown San Marzano for the past 4 years and had mediocre results but love them for pasata.
Only discovered this year that they are a bush, had been treating as cordon previously ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 22:57 »
a bush !!..............according to Seeds of Italy (Francchi Italian Seeds  ;) ) they are indeterminate (cordon) so that's how I usually grow them.
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/26 It's only San Marzano nano (nano means dwarf)which is a bush.
The Incas seeds came with one of John's books, that's why I'm trying them this year instead of SM

penance

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 12:11 »
Im sure i read somewhere in the dark depths of winter that SM was a bush, but yep it is cordon.
I am easily confused  :wacko:

I have 5 in the GH border all currently being treated as bush type, they are doing well and have plenty of fruit setting. I may leave some as bush and trim the others, see what results i get.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 15:27 »
SMs are grown here as bush types as well. We don't do cordons over here.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 15:31 »
so do you just let all varieties do what they fancy Trillium? Doesn't that make some of them a bit unrully........I'm thinking of the ones that grow tall, if you allowed side shoots to grow as well wouldn't they just fall over with the weight :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 15:39 »
We do pinch out side shoots, sometimes, but all types are usually staked and people simply choose whether they want tall growing ones or short ones. Some folk can't be bothered staking bush types and you'll often see Romas and SMs sprawled all over the ground - remember that we don't get the rainfall the UK does so this isn't much of a problem for us. Those wanting lots of fruit will simply add extra stakes to side shoots and allow lots of space between plants. I've yet to see a trained cordon here, not in veg nor fruit. One thing we all do is snap off all lower branches for better air circulation and to discourage mice which love toms. (they can't hide in foliage)

penance

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 16:45 »
Quick update, carried on treating the san marzano as a bush and had a much better crop than previous years.

xx
Rosella bush or cordon

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 12:53
by Annad83
xx
Differentiating cordon and bush tomato varieties.

Started by Bevy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2021, 18:06
by Bevy
xx
Cordon or bush tomatoes? help with mystery plants and named var. please?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 17:15
by BabbyAnn
xx
Latah & other bush toms ID pics

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 07:18
by New shoot

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 37 queries.