Brokali

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

Brokali
« on: February 18, 2020, 15:46 »
looking through the seed catalogue on a wet dull day I keep looking at a variety called broccoli a cross between a broccoli and Chinese kale

it says its for salads and stir-fries matures in 60-80 days not to sure about growing this so I'm going to ask if anyone on site has grew this variety  and  how you rate it for growing and eating I'm tempted to grow it  :unsure:

Title edited for future search purposes now we know how to spell it!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:08 by JayG »

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Brocali
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:31 »
Morning, slightly confused, a cross between broccoli and kale called broccoli? Can you post a link to it?

lettice

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:53 »
Do you mean Broccollini ?
That is a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale.
From what I have seen it is similar to Purple Sprouting Broccoli in the way it forms.

Read that it prefers a more colder climate, as a warmer one makes it flower early.
It is a quick 60 day seed to table crop.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 09:06 »
It's Brokali
Some of the sellers show it getting a bigger head, but mine never did - mine was like this
https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1758H_kale_brokali_atlantis_f1_hybrid

I grew it once and the stems are nice and tender, but on my 'top of the hill so tends to dry out quickly' plot it was quick to go over, so you need to keep an eye on it to pick it when it's ready.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 09:13 »
Hi folks what I'm talking about is Brokali sorry for any confusion with me confusing you with my incorrect spelling so its Brokali and its in kings catalogue a variety called Atlantis f1 and it looks like the same thing in DT Browns catalogue called inspiration

so apology again for my mistake brain now in gear  :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 10:47 »
I grew it last year and I got some smaller stems like the tender stem broccoli you can buy.  It is not hugely productive though, so I have ditched it.  I also tried the sprouting cauliflower cross  - that was useless.

If you want tender stem veg as a sub, stuff like Kailaan is more reliable, especially if you grow it under cover.  I have pots of it in the unheated greenhouse over autumn and winter and use it as a cut and come again crop.  You often see such crops described as flowering cabbage or kale.  The original varieties are better than the hybrid crosses with our outdoor brassicas in my view.

rowlandwells

Re: Brokali
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 16:37 »
I'm going to take your advise on this topic  New Shoot and forget about even growing it many thank all

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 40 queries.