New strawberry bed

• 5 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
New strawberry bed
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:13 »
Hi, yesterday I built a strawberry bed by first lining the bottom with weed control fabric and then putting 4 '' boards around to make a rectangle. I then filled it to the top with rotted manure. Is this deep enough or shall I remove the weed control fabric to make it deeper?How shallow rooted are strawberries ?I put the weed control fabric down to stop the runners going everwhere. Was I right doing this?  Also, can I plant the strawberries through the fabric to protect the fruit?   :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: New strawberry bed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:25 »
I'd take it up and use it on top, to plant through. :)

Strawberry runners are on the top, rather than from the roots, so they're easy to keep under control, specially on  the fabric  :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:38 »
I agree with Mum. Strawberry roots go a lot deeper than 4". Add extra soil to make a small mound. Place the fabric over the soil and plant through. Fabric keeps fruit off the soil and inhibits slug access.

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 13:00 »
Of course the runners are on the top :) I dont know what I was thinking off. Thank you for your replies  :)

Dullnote

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 14:17 »
Hi first post,  as this is the first time I have read something that I have tried. I am starting out in the grow your own game after building my house I am setting up the garden, start of last year put strawberries in a raised bed, started with these as I love strawberries, put fabric on top and planted through, thinking this
  would control the weeds.

Weeds were controlled but slugs, had more berries than me, don't  think fabric will help reduce the slugs.

Throughout the rest of year set up the rest of  the  garden did not plant much but ready for this year as soon as the snow lifts

Dull note

Totty

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 19:53 »
You don't mention the size of bed you have but I think I would remove the fabric from under the manure and dig the area underneath to a spades depth, incorporating the manure. This will naturally raise the soil a little higher. As mentioned before, create mounds where you wish to plant, then cover with fabric. Could try sprinkling lots of crushed eggshell under the fabric, and using some organic slug pellets around plants when fruiting too.

Totty

xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et
xx
new strawberry bed

Started by richardoram on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 17:16
by RichardA
xx
strawberry

Started by moomoos42 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 10:34
by ex-cavator
question
Strawberry bed

Started by alanb on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 00:04
by Trillium

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 29 queries.