Has the BBC lost the plot?

• 20 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Has the BBC lost the plot?
« on: April 10, 2021, 12:38 »
I don't watch much BBC TV but I do listen to the radio a lot. Having the normal broadcasting interrupted with the announcement of the loss of the Duke of Edinburgh was right and schedule changes only right and proper but they just seemed to recycle the same news and prepared obituaries over and over and over on Radio 4.
But why take over every network to run the same feed? Seems over the top to me.
Then today Radio 4 Extra is running the same as Radio 4 - which has returned to normal programming. Has someone forgotten to flip a switch?
The main BBC programming on TV was the same, I believe.
Perhaps the powers that be of the BBC have finally gone down lockdown crazy? Or have those chaps gone home home for the weekend and nobody has the authority to switch back?
I'm pretty sure the Prince would feel much the same and is probably making some unprintable comments from the other side about idiots.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Has the BBC lost the plot?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 13:11 »
Didn't we get the same wall to wall (or ear to ear) coverage when Diana died - it just seems like normal service for these occasions to me  ::)
I'm not saying I like it, though ..

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 13:18 »
Agree - totally OTT to be broadcasting exactly the same news on at least 3 BBC channels simultaneously.

After about an hour I'd seen every available item at least once, most of them prepared in advance no doubt.

The Duke died - which isn't exactly still 'breaking news' after it was originally announced.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jezza

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 13:33 »
Hello it's not only the BBC  ITV are the same it's not necessary they could have made the announcement then had a minutes silence then continued with normal programming,the Royal family need to be left alone to grieve as any one else who has lost a loved one needs to, then show a programme about the Dukes life in a fee weeks time     jezza

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 13:52 »
Didn't we get the same wall to wall (or ear to ear) coverage when Diana died - it just seems like normal service for these occasions to me  ::)
I'm not saying I like it, though ..
My main recollection of that is they took the Archers omnibus off  :ohmy: followed by general hysterics for weeks.
It is sad and important news that the Duke has passed on but the lack of proportion in the BBC is ridiculous. A few days or so - as Jezza says -  would seem the right time to run the features and obits - once things have sunk in.

wighty

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 17:04 »
Took one look at the schedule for this morning and decided to go to work, Saturdays are supposed to be my day off but I really didn't fancy watching, again, what I watched last night.  ITV was as bad as the BBC.  Heard the guns going off in Portsmouth on our way home.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 17:06 »
Has the BBC lost the plot - Yes!  Although I don’t think they have had much of a grasp on it anyway for a few years now  ::)

It is very sad for the family and no-one can deny he worked for decades at his charity work and royal duties.  Way beyond what most of us would consider a reasonable retirement age as well.  A true example of grit, determination and devotion to duty.

He spoke his mind, made a few gaffs at times and was not everyone’s cup of tea.  If I shuffle off having just that list of crimes to my name, I would be happy with that. Personally I can’t stand the current system of telling us what popular opinion is and then repeating it endlessly until we agree.  It starts with trial by the woke on social media and leaks through to what should be the proper news, but that is a another story ...

He was a grand old age and led a full and active life until almost the end.  I reckon he will be turning the air blue there on the other side.  No state funeral, don’t buy flowers - donate to charity and let’s get on with it.  Sounds like he made his feelings pretty clear and would have no truck with all this endless rehashing.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 21:07 »
I think some of the wall to wall coverage is because they just don’t have any other programmes to air, plus I think even the media are sick of Covid.
Plus of course as others have said the media just want to whip it all up until everyone is bereft. It was tragic when Diana got killed but the media made it what it was ...an outpouring of unnecessary hype etc.  I for one won’t be doing that, yes it’s sad for his immediate family, but at that age it was always going to be sooner rather than later.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 22:35 »
I agree with all the above, very OTT.  But I watched the 41 gun salute today and found it absolutely amazing.  All around the country at castles and military barracks, on military ships and in Gibraltar, 41 salutes at 1 minute intervals on the minute from 12 noon BST... all perfectly synchronised. 

It was so atmospheric and poignant.  His highness would have been impressed.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 07:09 »
I think some of the BBC channels use the same bandwidth (or whatever), so it all went out as one lot!

The BBC have had long enough to get this right, but I wonder why they just had a static camera at each gun? They chuck 'reporters' all over the place when there's a heatwave or a 'storm' or similar, but I would have liked to know much more than seeing and hearing a big bang from our fabulous forces! For instance, each location is of major importance, and has a history which is generally not known! Where was all this? The Duke would have known!

To have a couple of autocue-readers stuck in a studio just isn't good enough!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 15:14 »
After a few hours I could not take anymore.  I settled in the evening with a few things I had recorded.
I am not heartless,  I feel for the Queen and the family, but also for everybody who loses somebody.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 16:52 »
After reading what he went through as a child and his early life it made me more angry when I thought of h and m whinging and bemoaning their lot with life. How so many things were unfair and no one asked how she felt. Please. His was a hard life , he was an outsider and he got on with it. Not blamed everyone else and lived a self centred life.  >:(

GraciesGran

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 17:29 »
Just to rub salt into the wound apparently the BBC are now arranging grief counseling for their staff.  Not how I want my money spent!!

His death is tragic for his family and I sincerely hope they are allowed to mourn in peace.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 18:00 »
I was expressing similar feelings this morning during church zoom coffee, and one of the people in my 'breakout room' was a retired radio BBC producer.

He said that this sort of scheduling is governed strictly by protocol, and the BBC is in a bit of a no-win situation because some of the fervent monarchist media would have its guts for garters if it didn't do what it did, i.e. if it showed disrespect by carrying on regardless.

But yes, I wanted a refuge from the incessant programming - not even Classic FM was that refuge, with it reminding us between every single track (every 7 minutes or so) for 5 hours straight, at which point I finally gave up and switched off.

Apparently the BBC has set up a pro forma complaint on its website for those who are unhappy about the scheduling!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

xx
Think AndyRVTR has lost the plot!!!

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2021, 09:34
by AndyRVTR
xx
What's lost app.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2024, 09:13
by Goosegirl
xx
Lost my thread

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2018, 10:24
by mrs bouquet
xx
Lost Delboy episode...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2018, 17:01
by Growster...

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 55 queries.