Well I've gone & done it.

• 10 Replies

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
Well I've gone & done it.
« on: August 13, 2013, 14:40 »

I was thinking about building a fruit press, thanks for your writeup BobE by the way, never got back to you on that.

Well I've gone and bought one of Ebay, I can't see me having the time to build one, so collected it last Sunday along with 3x52lts glass carboys.

"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

paulsol

Re: Well I've gone & done it.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 17:36 »
...looks pretty good....i made a press with an old pressure cooker...drilled holes in the bottom...made a thick ply disc and used a G GRAMP to squeeze...it worked,just about....
i made some cider once with 120lb of apples,but i made the mistake of only using Bramley's...it was a bit acidic...i put it in the loft for 3 years..rediscovered it and was perfect dry cider!
i could have done with your press for that!

BobE

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 18:00 »
Excellent press CaptZ, what used to be in those carbouys? 
Brilliant buy.

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 19:37 »
The story is...an Italian couple came to the uk  years ago,  they got hold of this press and 10x 52lts carboys. They got their grapes from an Italian shop in Loughborough (I think) then they would press the grapes like they did back home, making Italian Red wine....500 lts at a time (once a year)...store it the carboys until they bottled the wine..that then would see them through until the next year.

The husband passed away, his son said he was 80 plus, so the children decided to sell all of the gear as they would not be doing it the same. So that brings it up to the present day,  we've been given about 100 yds of a grapevine up on the allotment,  a small orchard of 6 apple trees, 1 pear. So this is going to be a steep learning curve, but we'll get there.

BobE

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 19:40 »
In France they put all the crushed grape waste back in amongst the plants.  Over time the plants are supposed to improve.

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 19:45 »

Didn't know that Bob....but I now know where all the pressings are going back onto our allotment.

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 19:48 »
Saw it on TV, one of the chefs type programs.  French vinyards are old though, so I dunno how long the effect will take.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 19:56 »
The story is...an Italian couple came to the uk  years ago,  they got hold of this press and 10x 52lts carboys. They got their grapes from an Italian shop in Loughborough (I think) then they would press the grapes like they did back home, making Italian Red wine....500 lts at a time (once a year)...store it the carboys until they bottled the wine..that then would see them through until the next year.
The husband passed away, his son said he was 80 plus, so the children decided to sell all of the gear as they would not be doing it the same. So that brings it up to the present day,  we've been given about 100 yds of a grapevine up on the allotment,  a small orchard of 6 apple trees, 1 pear. So this is going to be a steep learning curve, but we'll get there.

Wow, useful kit and with a history too!  Brilliant news Capt, do let us know how it goes (and as you know, piccies are always appreciated).  :)

Saw it on TV, one of the chefs type programs.  French vinyards are old though, so I dunno how long the effect will take.

Probably not too long since they're already mulched?  Gives a wonderful feeling of timelessness though doesn't it?  :) 

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

BobE

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 19:59 »
When you see the huge, twice my height, barrels, wooden taps, been sat there for five years.  Wine is timeless.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 20:03 »
When you see the huge, twice my height, barrels, wooden taps, been sat there for five years.  Wine is timeless.
Have you seen that film with Russell Crowe ('A Good Year', I believe it was called)?  Very good film.  :)

BobE

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 20:12 »
I will look out for it.  :D

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 28 queries.