Tomato feed. What is it good for and what not?

• 18 Replies

neatntidy

Re: Tomato feed. What is it good for and what not?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 13:22 »
Great to see so many people turning their back on tomrite and converting to comfrey and nettle tea. I brew concentrate in old home brew flasks that can be sealed and have a small tap on. I make my tea bags by stuffing their leafs into old tights (the wife's not mine) so the tap doesn't block up. Works a treats and free.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 12:31 »
I have one large comfrey plant and regularly hack off leaves and put in large water butt along side.
I keep the butt full of water and just dip my watering can in to feed the flowering plants about once a week. it's always diluted never left to develop into a thick brew!
Very little trouble, then empty out the old leaves and put in trench under crops the following year.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 12:57 »

Call me dubious but why would commercial growers and farmers spend a fortune on artificial fertilizers when all they have to do is throw a few comfrey leaves into a tank of water and have the most wonderful fertilizer that beats all commercial stuff hands down and for free as well, strange?
STOP, and smell the roses!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 13:19 »
Call me dubious but why would commercial growers and farmers spend a fortune on artificial fertilizers when all they have to do is throw a few comfrey leaves into a tank of water and have the most wonderful fertilizer that beats all commercial stuff hands down and for free as well, strange?

Probably not cost effective to grow (acreage), harvest and process.  Artificial chemicals are the product of chemical factories and starter materials are either Oil or Minerals that are mined.  Both non renewable ... Much easier for a farmer to buy a product, with guaranteed consistency from one batch to another.  Amateur gardeners put way too much fertiliser on their products compared to farmers where every extra smidgeon of fertiliser costs them money, reduces profit and makes them uncompetitive in the open market, and as such amateur gardeners are not too bothered if one batch of Comfrey is more / less "rich" than the last.

Something like that perhaps?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 13:20 by Kristen »

xx
Good feed for Redcurrants

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 18:55
by Trillium
xx
Good idea to feed strawbs?

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 20:15
by Trillium
xx
Tomato feed

Started by Stephen Walker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2019, 20:49
by adri
xx
tomato feed

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 09:37
by woodburner

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 29 queries.