growing peppers as perennials

• 8 Replies

catweazle

• Experienced Member
growing peppers as perennials
« on: September 28, 2011, 22:17 »
im wanting to have a go at growing the infamous dorset naga chilli (the worlds hottest chilli) in my greenhouse just for bragging rights realy. but i was wondering if the plant is protected from frost in a heated place can the be grown as perennials in the uk? seeds are expensive for this chilli and i dont want to have to germanate a new plant every year.

many thanks CW

sarajane

Re: growing peppers as perennials
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 23:03 »
If you go to www.chilliking.com you will find advice on how to manage the plant overwinter.

I have to say I once tried but it died but if you have a plant already its worth a go and you never know until you try.  Good Luck

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 23:45 »
have a go by all means, nothing ventured etc....
Personally I have found it a total waste of time and effort, prefer to get new plants growing away early.....
Death OR Cake ???

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 00:21 »
I did it fairly successfully last year (lost 4 out of 9 chilli and pepper plants) and last year's plants are still flowering and fruiting (since March!!) and I'm planning on repotting this year.

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:23 »
good to know it can be done thanks!

lacewing

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:00 »
I have a chilli plant on my kitchen window for the past three years. It flowers and fruits all year round, less fruit during the winter months but still enough for the pot. I feed once a week from March to September and just a light watering during winter. I give the plant a light trim  at the end of summer, just to tidy it up.  It will be intresting to see how long it keeps going.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:50 »
My March-sown chillies and peppers have both produced two crops in the house, and one from those in the greenhouse.

I've considered over-wintering them but frankly it would be nice to have at least a few months per year with empty bedroom windowsills (don't think they would survive a harsh winter in the greenhouse.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:30 »
(don't think they would survive a harsh winter in the greenhouse.)  :)

I had different varieties in the greenhouse which I had planned on moving into the house before winter set in, when the snow in November caught me by surprise and the drop in temperature was just too much for them  :(

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 13:30 »
It does depend to some extent on the variety as well. Last year I tried overwintering 2 chilli and 2 sweet pepper plants. One of each survived and grew away very quickly this spring.

The sweet pepper is the only one of my sweet pepper plants that gave me a crop this year at all, because mine are outside and the weather was so foul this year that they never really got going on fruit. The chilli pepper started cropping faster than the newly sown plants but they did catch up, so for that variety I don't think it was worthwhile (superchilli). However, this year I also tried growing Fatallii chillies, which are much slower growing plants. Even in the cold greenhouse, they've been so slow that they're still quite small plants and haven't even shown a hint of flowering. So I will definitely try overwintering those, so they get a headstart next year and hopefully will finally give me a crop.

xx
Anyone tried growing runner beans as perennials?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 14:08
by JayG
xx
Growing peppers, to nip or not to nip?

Started by Bolthardy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:12
by Kristen
xx
Growing peppers

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 13:18
by Debz
xx
First time growing peppers - HELP

Started by wolfmoon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 20:28
by corndolly

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.