should i water tomatoes, pepers and cucumbers from the bottom?

• 12 Replies

3759allen

a couple of days ago i checked on my plants that are sitting on the window sill getting the morning sun, but they all seemed to be looking very sad for themselves. they looked very dry even after regular watering, little and often.

i watered them straight away and most of the water seemed to come straight out of the bottom of the pot. i then put them in plastic trays and left them for a day soaking in water. i also sprinkled some blood fish and bone on the soil to get watered in as someone on here suggested to give them some goodness.

they seem all perked up now, and growing on nicely.

anyway. should i water them from the bottom, and for how long? i was thinking a day in water and a couple out?

why does the compost not seem to want to absorb the water? is it because it's the cheaper stuff or should i have added anything to the compost.

thanks all.

Ivor Backache

The important thing is that you water them on a regular basis. Otherwise you could have blossom end rot and burst fruit. I don't think it matters which way you do it. In summer with five trusses you should be watering every other day. I  use to stand the pots in a tray and fill the tray and feed from the top, I found I could get better crops growing on the allotment and I put that down to a constant supply of water. I still grow a few plants in pots indoors to get the early crop.
With regards to the compost, there is a continual process of reducing peat which in my view means a poorer product. Perhaps you could water from the top until it drains through.

crh75

If compost dries out completely it is very difficult to re-wet it.  If this is the case soak it in the sink for a few hours.  Always water regularly before it dries out completely.

Usually I prefer to water from the bottom as this helps prevent getting mould on the top.  In the case of cucumbers this is most important - wet stems easily rot.

compostqueen

I always water from the bottom even if it means standing the pot in a tray of water  :)  Some of the peat-free composts do tend to dry out which is why some companies are now adding John Innes base which is heavier and more moisture retentive  :)

Springlands

In future you could add water retention granules to your compost - but do not do what I did the first time - there were so many granules in the compost that when they soaked up the water the compost spilled out of the pots.  ::)

Totty

I don't water little and often, whenever the pots are feeling a little light I sit them in a large sink and put enough water in to go up a third of the way up the pot. The top of the compost should start to glisten after a few mins, sometimes I'll give em a mist spray. This relates only to the toms and peppers though for me. I always add some fine vermiculite to Levingtons m2 or a good quality multi purpose, which will make the compost airy which the plants love and it helps hold the water and nutrients so they dry out slower, and the nutrients don't get washed out with watering.
With cucumbers I use the same compost but with grit added, this helps water drain quickly away from the stem, reducing the chances of it rotting. Again these are watered from below until the top glistens. If you let your compost dry out so much that it shrinks a little and won't take on water, you are better off potting on with fresh compost and not letting it dry out again.

Totty

3759allen

thankyou for all the help, it's very much appreciated.

after hearing what everyone has said i think i will carry on giving them a soak from the bottom.

how long should i leave the plants soaking for? and often should i soak them? i don't want to leave them too wet and produce rot, but don't want to let them get too dry again and loosing them all.

thanks again.

crh75

That'll depends on how hot it is and how big the pots are!
When the poys feel light or feel dry when you put your finger in tells you it is time to water.   It only takes a few minutes to soak up the water, again feel the growing medium to tell if it is moist.

Steveharford

I have bought a moisture meter which has a couple of probes and a needle dial with a scale on it. It instantly gives a reading. I just have to determine what reading is the optimum. Still working on that.
Now this gadget also does ph and for some reason it is also a light meter. All for about a fiver on eBay. No batteries required either.

Ivor Backache

after hearing what everyone has said i think i will carry on giving them a soak from the bottom.
At the moment you have them 'sitting on the window sill', but they won't be there much longer. Do you intend to keep them in pots? If so you should be using about 12" pots and you will need water containers to match.
How long? As stated depends on the size of pot and container. You will need to check them each day and water as necessary. They won't rot because they use a lot of water. Its not just transpiration, they have to fill up at least 20 tomatoes :tongue2:

3759allen

Re: should i water tomatoes, pepers and cucumbers from the bottom?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 18:41 »
At the moment you have them 'sitting on the window sill', but they won't be there much longer. Do you intend to keep them in pots? If so you should be using about 12" pots and you will need water containers to match.
How long? As stated depends on the size of pot and container. You will need to check them each day and water as necessary. They won't rot because they use a lot of water. Its not just transpiration, they have to fill up at least 20 tomatoes :tongue2:

at the moment they're in small pots. i'm waiting for temperatures to increase and stabilize a bit before putting them in the poly tunnel. i don't want to lose them after all this tlc.

i'm hoping that i won't have re pot, as i'm planning to plant straight into the ground/ compost in the tunnel. 

Totty

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 18:55 »
You will need to repot them before they go out for sure. If they are in small pots that have dried out you need to pot them on ASAP. Turn the pot upside down and gently pull the rootball and compost out. It should come out in one, and show you that the roots need more space, more nutrients and more water than your depleted pots can give them.

Totty

3759allen

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 21:48 »
thanks for the advice. i was surprised how much root they've grown.

bigger pots arranged, i will get on with it as soon as i get them.

the soaking from the bottom every 2 -3 days seems to be doing the trick now.

thanks for all the advice people.

xx
Crimson crush tomatoes very bushy at the bottom

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2022, 17:42
by AnneB
xx
Tomatoes and cucumbers

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 09:21
by Kristen
xx
Tomatoes and cucumbers

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2016, 21:52
by Elaine G
xx
Growpots for tomatoes/cucumbers

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 14:18
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 30 queries.