Is she eggbound?

• 13 Replies

yolkie

Is she eggbound?
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:47 »
Hi all,
I bought 2 hens at POL last August (a Mendlesham Amber and a Suffolk Blacktail) as a newbie to this.  They started laying daily from 16th September '08 and 31st December 08 respectively.  Both lay regularly by 6.30am (when I get up). However, yesterday my Suffolk Blacktail was subdued all day and her rear-end was at a slight angle. She eventually laid an egg at 6pm. The egg was a little soiled and appeared slightly larger around the circumference than usual. This morning she is in her nest-box attempting to lay, though has not managed to do this, nor has she come down to the run (it's 9.47am, so she's been trying for at least 3 hours now).  She has even made noises as if she has laid, but she is clearly struggling.

Am I being overly worried at her change in laying pattern and her apparent subdued nature, or should I follow the eggbound advice regarding bathing her. Is there such a thing as being semi-eggbound, given that she did lay eventually without any assistance?

All comments welcome, as i'm a little worried :unsure:

Vember

Re: Is she eggbound?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:11 »
Hi Yolkie

I think i'd try a little oil in her vent to begin with see if that helps her pop it out :)

If that doesn't help then yes try the bath.

Let us know how you get on :)

Sarah :D

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:16 »
I also wonder if the fact she has been laying so prolifically has affected har calcium levels therefore making it harder for her to push the egg out. Calcium is needed for egg shell manufacture and well as the peristaltic movement.
Check she is only having good quality layers pellets for a couple of weeks, added a teaspoon of codliver oil and mix in with a teaspoon of poultry spice twice a week. No corn or treats at all.
I would pop her in tepid water and leave her for half an hour to help relax her muscles, this will also help confirming whether her laying is getting difficult for her.
Do they access to ad lib oyster shell? :)

yolkie

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:35 »
Well I've oiled her vent and will wait a while to see if she lays. I've added cod liver oil to their water too. I'm going to buy some poultry spice and oystershell over the web now (any suggestions on where to buy, other than 'flea-bay'?).

Keeping my fingers crossed for her.

yolkie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 14:49 »
I bathed her as suggested after having no luck with oiling her vent. I'm now very worried that things have rapidly worsened as she is now standing, hiding in the corner of the coop Her eyes keep closing. This is not how she usually behaves and I'm concerned something is very wrong.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 15:03 »
Can you feel anything egg shaped underneath her? 

Gently feel from legs back towards her vent.

yolkie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 15:17 »
Yes, there is an egg shape when I feel her. I'm also concerned that she is still rather damp from the bath, despite towelling her off as best as I can. I've put her in the nesting box and placed a towel and hot water bottle in there. She's perching and 'preening' her feathers at the moment.

Vember

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 15:47 »
The best option really would be to get her to a vet who would be able to give her a calcium injection, which should help her muscles relax then the egg should pop out. But it's Bank Holiday  :(
Do you have any calcium tablets in the house at all?

If you do then quarter one then half one of the quarters and give it to her, that's what I did for my goose (although I gave her a whole quarter). :)

Sarah :)

yolkie

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 16:04 »
Thanks Sarah.  Typical for it to happen on the Bank Holiday I know! I'll pop out to the Co-Op and see if they have any calcium tablets as I don't have any, though she's not really eating anything.

I also thing she's a little shocked as I rarely handle my chicks, let alone carrying them to my bath!!

I'll let you know how Henrietta gets on.

raeburg

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 16:36 »
Indigestion tablets are calcium carbonate based but have a good look in the multi vitamins.  Rater than fleabay, a good reputable firm to deal with for poultry supplies is http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk  I've bought stuff a few times from them and they've always been very reasonable an fast delivery.

shiatsusu

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 18:07 »
Just caught up with this thread- any news yolkie? Hope she's ok.

yolkie

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 19:12 »
She's moving about and eating, which is an improvement from earlier (it's very unlike her to be subdued or off her food).  I've sent off for poultry spice and oystershell from the website suggested. Gonna get some more cod liver oil tomorrow as I've been chopping up the capsules and adding to their water today (not very practical!!). I will take her to the vet if she stays the same or worsens.

Both hens have been so healthy and laid so well in the past, it was upsetting to see her in obvious discomfort. Got my fingers and toes crossed for her and will keep you informed.

Thanks for your help today everyone, it's appreciated more than you can imagine.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 20:04 by yolkie »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 23:01 »
I no expert but as your girlie didnt lay till 6 last night, chances are she would of missed laying today! she may well lay again tomorrow morning as usual. my blubelle will spend an hour or so in the nest box on her day off from laying even announcing an egg only for me to find nothing  :lol: she then lays early next morning again as usual (think she just in the habit of going for a sit down every day!  :lol:)
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yolkie

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:01 »
Just to update you and thank you for all your help. After what seems an eternity, Henrietta finally laid again today  :D :D :D

Following my messages last week, she seemed to return to her normal self (just without the laying!). She stopped returning to the nest box to try and lay, though I did have concerns that her vent kept 'pulsing or pushing' (for want of better words), though she had returned to eating well and was sprightly as ever. I followed all the advice here, so my hens now have oystershell, poultry spice, cod liver oil and even calcium tablets (as well as tlc by the bucketful!)- can they OD on calcium? Lol!

So it appears that she took a week off! I wonder if she was a little off-colour or perhaps calcium deficient? This was the first time I've had something go wrong since last August when I started this hobby, so was worried sick.

Anyway, it appears that normal service is resumed and I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and concerns.

xx
Eggbound?

Started by jennym on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 14:00
by Sassy
xx
Eggbound?

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 13:05
by thechicken
xx
Eggbound?

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 09:31
by Prod
xx
Eggbound???

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 14:59
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 39 queries.