Eggbound?

• 3 Replies

jennym

Eggbound?
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:53 »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, sorry I'll do an intro shortly. Discovered the forum on a google search re chicken ailments.

Very sadly found one our Light Sussex hens dead in hen house this morning, looks like she's been on the perch and then just fallen off dead. Had a look at her, she's in good shape, but her back end is slightly strained out and red, not out out but bigger than normal, maybe golf ball sized, no sign of an egg. They were all bright enough last night, no sign of anyone looking distressed or repeatedly trying to lay etc. She'd have been about 3years old.

We feed them wheat and layers pellets, they range around garden and fields. They also hoover up any sunflower seeds that the wild birds drop out the hanging feeders. I also split 3 slices of wholemeal bread between the 7 hens and 3 muscovy ducks, this is a morning ritual.

They've also got ready access to water and grit, although they do seem to like pecking the walls of the house as well, not sure if its the render or insects they're after.

I know that sometimes these things do happen but just wondering if anyone can suggest anything else I should be giving them or doing differently?

Kind regards

Jenny
5 light sussex, 2 ex bats, 1 bronze maran hens and 3 mad muscovy ducks.

Casey76

Re: Eggbound?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 13:19 »
Hi Jenny, sorry your first post is a sad one :(

Do your hens have oyster shell separately to grit?  They have different functions (grit to grind the food in teh gizzard, adn oystershell as soluble calcium to form good egg shells).

Personally I wouldn't give bread to hens or ducks, but if you do, it shold be well soaked with water to prevent any swelling in the stomach.

I agree that it may be "just one of those things" and unfortunately chickens sometimes do die for no apparent reason.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 15:30 »
Chickens maintain best health when wheat is no more than 20% of their diet. Wheat also contributes to a slight paleness in yolk colour but doesn't affect nutritional value at all. Because bread contains wheat, it should be fed only occasionally to keep the wheat amount in check. And as Casey says, grit is very important for the chickens.

One thing I've notice with sunflower seeds here is that we've lost a few of our racing pigeons suddenly after feeding them some sunflower seeds. There was no visible reason for the deaths. We called the seed supplier and were told that the grains were sprayed and should be fed only to wild birds   :wacko:   rather than any livestock or poultry. I wonder if you might have the same problem with the sunflower seeds.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 14:00 »
Is she pure breed or a hybrid Light Sussex? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Eggbound?

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 09:31
by Prod
xx
Eggbound???

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 14:59
by poultrygeist
xx
eggbound??????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 13:17
by kimT
xx
Eggbound?

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 13:05
by thechicken

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 35 queries.