Raspberry canes

• 4 Replies

Sean

Raspberry canes
« on: October 12, 2006, 20:32 »
I have just taken an allotment and am starting to tidy it up. One of the things that I have inherited is a row of raspberry canes. Unfortunately being new to this game I havent a clue which canes are the new ones which presumably get fruit next year and which have already born fruit. Is there any simple way of telling? Also is there such a thing as suckers (as you get on roses) on raspberries that should be removed?

Many thanks
Sean

noshed

Raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 00:09 »
I had the same problem. I just cut the lot down to the ground and mulched them over the winter. I dug up loads because they were all over the place and got them into line. (More or less)
When they grew up in the spring, some actually fruited, so I knew they were summer fruiting ones and at the end of the summer I cut out the ones which fruited and tied the new ones in for next year.
You may find some fruit in the autumn, so then you just cut the whole lot back again.
They seem to be fairly trouble free and supply important treats for the serious allotmenteer.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Raspberry canes
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 01:41 »
The more common summer-flruiting raspberries should not be entirely cut to the ground but the fruited canes removed like Sean stated.

How to tell which canes are which? By now, the canes that have fruited will start to look old and tatty, have a number of branches, and the stem usually takes on a brownish hue. The new shoots to fruit next year will be strong and healthy with large green leaves and whitish or pale-green stems.

All growth from raspberries are suckers in that each shoot grows direct from the rootstock which can spread. Remove any extra-thin shoots and any thatgrow out of line to keep order. As general vigour declines over the yeas, they should be dug up in late autumn and re-planted after the area has been thoroughly dug over and manure added.

Sean

Raspberry canes
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 06:55 »
Many thanks
Sean

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Raspberry canes
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 12:54 »
I also inherited some canes alongside a fence, probably actually bird dropped seed.

I use a simple method of sorting them out - if the canes are a bright green and leafy, tie them, if there dark green or woody cut them down. Seems to work ok for me

Martin
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

xx
RaspBerry Canes

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2016, 19:27
by lfcevans
xx
new raspberry canes

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 18:23
by cooperman
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 11:59
by brianc
xx
raspberry canes

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 23:06
by galen

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 35 queries.