Is It Too DarK??

• 9 Replies

AndyRVTR

Is It Too DarK??
« on: January 26, 2009, 14:15 »
So... after getting my chucks on Saturday, it was time to hit reality this morning and i was off back to work.
I got to the lottie this morning (as late as I dare) at 7.05 and it was still dark, I didnt feel confident letting them out, so they are in the shed for another day, now I dont know what the best thing to is to do?
Should I let them out in the dark, or try to get someone else to open up after its light?

3frenchhens

Is It Too DarK??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 14:37 »
I wake my girls up at 6.30am every morning.  I have to as I leave the house for work at 7.30am and I have to feed them and clean them out before I leave.  Some of them do seem a little sleepy and grumpy when they first come out of the coop but they are fine, they do get used to it.  I have one now who wont let me sleep in until it gets light at the weekend, she starts calling me at 6.15-6.30 even though its still dark.  Don't worry about them, they adapt very quickly to your routine.

Tinkers

• www.the-admin-angels.co.uk
Is It Too DarK??
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 14:44 »
Ours come out when they are ready, they won't come out in the dark anyhow, just start venturing out as it gets light - I'm sure its ok as long as the door is open for them.

Unless I have misunderstood and the shed has to be closed while you aren't there :?:

Roughlee Handled

Is It Too DarK??
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 14:47 »
I have an auto pop hole opener.  I do not trust it totaly so check that it has opened. (I have found it frozen solid twice this year and the string broke one other time.)  But mine would be out and about at 06:30 in the morning they could hardly see but they knew where the feeder was.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

theclampitts

too dark?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 14:50 »
We let our chickens out one day before it was fully light and they were attacked by a fox, we think.  We lost three to the "fox" and three escaped and had to be rounded up in the neighbourhood.  We came to the conclusion that we should wait until it was broad daylight until it was safe to let them out.  We have not had fox problems in the evening tho.

Roughlee Handled

Is It Too DarK??
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 14:57 »
Welcome theclampitts
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I take it that your chickens are not behind any fence.  Our foxes are daylight foxes and on the 18th he/worked out how to jump our eletric fence in broad daylight. It killed 5 I now have only 1 left.  (building a proper run).  Chickens will go out when they feel comfortable.   As long as your area is secure against foxes you should be able to let them roam at what ever time they want. One thing to be aware of is there night vision is worse than ours.

poultrygeist

Is It Too DarK??
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 16:41 »
My alarm has had to get a bit earlier this past week. I'm now at 7.25am.

Rob 8)

Roughlee Handled

Is It Too DarK??
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 16:42 »
I am off to work at that time.  
That is weekend time.  
06:15 rise for me.

karlooben

Is It Too DarK??
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 16:59 »
mine are let out at 6 am after i have done the horses and dogs ,. i start work at  around 6,30 { well go in to read paper and coffee  nooooooo animals thats my 30 min break daily  :lol: } then i start work at 7.

i dont have a probelm leting them out at that time an they are so used to it  and i take a torch with me to check the main fencing each morning as well.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

AndyRVTR

Re: Is It Too DarK??
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:56 »
Well... this morning I  left the hatch open for the girls to go out and play in the pen... I just hope they will be OK by the time I get back tonight  :(

xx
Will they lay in the dark

Started by orfy on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 14:31
by Miller
xx
Why do my chickens come out in the dark?

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 12:09
by hillfooter
xx
dark comb

Started by terrijane on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 14:22
by joyfull
xx
Dark Crown

Started by astrowitchee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 03:01
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.