onions unravelling

• 2 Replies

keeper

• Trevorl
onions unravelling
« on: August 01, 2014, 19:26 »
I have just lifted my onions for drying and although I am pleased with the result on turning them up three have split underneath and are bulging out , there is no sign of rot and as I say I am happy on the whole .
Is this to do with the weather we have had round here which has been hot & humid interspersed with periods of heavy rain, or can anyone else throw a light on this for me.
I have grown Sturon, Ailsa Graig and a dozen reds of an unknown type as my neighbour passed them over in return for something else, I forget what.
The reds were fine but the " unravelled " ones, as I call them, are 2 Ailsa's and 1 Sturon .

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: onions unravelling
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 19:46 »
In many veggies, splitting is often caused by irregular watering.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

keeper

• Trevorl
Re: onions unravelling
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 21:24 »
In many veggies, splitting is often caused by irregular watering.
I see you live close to me and are aware of the weather conditions we have had over the last few months. I planted the onions from setts and watered when I first planted and since then have found that we have had sufficient rain to make it unnecessary or maybe not. As this is only 3 in about 60 I am not too concerned but your reply has made me aware that in another year I would have to be aware of this happening on a larger scale,

Thanks Trevor

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 37 queries.