Strange adverts on here.

• 57 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Strange adverts on here.
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2024, 09:11 »
I don't know why I want stone effigies of Tweedledum and Tweedledee, not to mention bathroom sealant, but I wouldn't mind a coir mat with a picture of a cat on it nor a new torch that actually works without having to shake it hard.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JacsH

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2024, 10:56 »
a) someone mentioned an advert for a Styrofoam toilet seat. These are bog standard on conveniences in Swedish laybys in the far north, and very much appreciated too when the temperatures are well below zero. b) In respect to other adverts - currently I have a load asking me to fly to exotic places for holidays (no related Google searches for that), black tight shiny leatherette trousers (I only wear skirts) and some skinny tops that I might have got into 60 odd years ago should Mama have allowed it! At least they're in English. Google decided I needed to improve my French a while ago and produced everything in that. Happy New Year all and good gardening. Looking forward to a new batch of ups and downs of producing our own food.

Growster...

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2024, 18:39 »
That's a firm called Temu I think, Jacs - I've just seen the ad yet again, but I still rather like the silk 'bits' on the ad shown before - as long as it isn't showing the blokes...

rowlandwells

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2024, 14:32 »
all these lovely adverts are making me feel young again it really brightens up the site keep um coming Auntie

Goosegirl

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2024, 09:03 »
Apart from the now becoming boring thigh boots, today's got what I assume is a stone water feature pond base which I wouldn't buy in a year of Sundays, a weather vane (ok, got me there as I bought one of a cat a month ago), and a GOK. This acronym comes from years ago from a pathologist who, when taking out bits of tissue from the latest post-mortem, couldn't ID them so he basically said "God only knows."  :mad:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2024, 14:08 »
That's a firm called Temu I think, Jacs - I've just seen the ad yet again, but I still rather like the silk 'bits' on the ad shown before - as long as it isn't showing the blokes...

It is Temu Mr G and I must admit to having a sneaky peak at their site today.  Enticed by a 30 percent discount if I got the app, I have made an order.  It is only around £20 worth, but if it is all as good as it looks, I have some bargains … yes I know that is a big IF and I will let you know how I rate what arrives.

Sorry to say my shopping was rather tame.  No silky bits or other dodgy items, but some solar lights for the garden, lit branches for the house (I’m missing the seasonal lights on the mantelpiece  :blush:), some kitchen stuff and some biodegradable planting bags.  The last ones are for filling with your own compost and making your own little starter pots for seedlings.  All sounds great so fingers crossed  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2024, 14:31 »
I quite like this one.
IMG_1354.jpeg

wighty

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2024, 16:37 »
I think it was Martin Lewis or somebody like him that warned against buying stuff from Temu as it doesn't conform to our safety laws, sorry to put a downer on it.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2024, 20:03 »
I did some research before ordering and most people said it was OK, but you might want to be wary of more expensive items like tech stuff.  I wouldn’t be looking to buy anything like that tbh or use a card to pay directly.  They take Pay Pal and Apple Pay, so that isn’t a problem.

Everything I ordered would have come from China anyway, just without the interim step of someone else unpacking it and passing it off as their own  :)

I have bought a few things from China before via EBay and the lighting stuff is usually pretty good.  The led lights I use on my plant and terrarium shelves come from there, plus a couple of clip on led lights I have around elsewhere. I’ve seen the exact same thing on UK sites for around 5 times the price  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 20:06 by New shoot »

Goosegirl

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2024, 09:01 »
I saw that key ring and went on the site but my intuition decided against it. Would love to get two of them so my bestest friend and I could use them as earrings!  :lol: :lol: :lol: Alone we're bad enough, but when we get together - look out! I remember we went into Sainsbergs many years ago, she said something by the bread counter, I mis-heard her and replied as per, she said what are you on? I said it looks like a tiled floor, cue a moment's silence, then all hell broke loose. Never has the bread counter been so busy.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 09:10 by Goosegirl »

Goosegirl

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2024, 09:15 »
Today I have a cat suspended in some sort of harness and what looks like a suede leather men's truss. This year's festive presents methinks!  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2024, 09:07 »
Sensory toys and equipment today.  :blush:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2024, 21:34 »
Enticed by a 30 percent discount … I have made an order.  It is only around £20 worth, but if it is all as good as it looks, I have some bargains … yes I know that is a big IF and I will let you know how I rate what arrives.

Well it came today and my order is actually alright.  It is much the same as Amazon and EBay so you have to be careful about what you are ordering.  There is a lot of tat on all these online sites.

Battery operated lit branches - £4.18 for 2 - they are exactly the same as I have seen on sale over here for around £10 each and the cheapest I can find them is £5 each on EBay.  That would be shipping from China, but you can bet anything sold here would originate there  :lol:

Solar lights - £8.25 for 2 - I can only find them on EBay but they would be £11.  Garden centre here for something similar - at least £15. 

Planting bags to make your own ‘plant in the pot’ Jiffy pellets or pretend peat pots (but minus the awful compost they seem to make these things out of these days) - £2.51 for 300

Then some kitchen gear which looks very similar to things I have seen in The Range or B&M, but considerably cheaper.  Nothing exciting, but useful stuff.

I paid £23.19 for the lot, so pleased enough with my haul.  I can’t speak to the quality of some of the items that have been amusing folk on here of course  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2024, 16:38 »
Aunty had an advert for ladies naughty nether garments today. Ridiculous… they would keep no one warm.  I’ll have you know that Aunty has proper warm bloomers  :ohmy:

IMG_1361.jpeg

Growster...

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2024, 06:45 »
You could fit several telephone 'directoires' in those Aunty..;0)

xx
Where do these strange adverts come from?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 28, 2017, 13:37
by Goosegirl
xx
seen any adverts on the TV lately

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2021, 11:56
by Goosegirl
xx
Adverts

Started by mdjlucan on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2023, 14:25
by mumofstig
xx
Here come the adverts...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2023, 17:01
by Growster...

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 54 queries.