Mycoplasma - Q?

• 100 Replies

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
Re: Mycoplasma - Q?
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2009, 11:37 »
Had myco once, culled the lot, only way really.
Went to an auction the other week and counted 30 birds showing myco symptoms...nice present to take back home with you.
Defra needs to take this more seriously, it;s a problem that is getting bigger and bigger.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2009, 12:59 »
We understand that completely Debbie  :D

If you transfere the thought to humans then vaccination and any intervention by the medical profession which means people live on to reproduce children are also responsible for weakening of the human gene pool and working against natural selection.

Both Worzel and I and many of our living friends and relatives would have died  before passing on their dodgey genes to offspring.  :ohmy:

I don't think many would say medical science is a bad thing though :D
  Most of the vaccines you can get are actually very cheap, i get the infectious brochitus vaccine for £1.00 the Newcastle disease for £2.00 and Mareks for £10.00, its the mycoplasma ones that are expensive and the cocciodosis. But i hatch around 500 chicks a month so i do it for the wellfare of the babes! 

Croad, where do you get those vaccines so cheap?  I got similar ones last year for one of my Babcock flocks and they cost me over £30
  Hi, i go to a wholesaler, i get a prescription from my vet which i can use up to four times and i go direct to the drugs company basically. Speak to your vet and see what they say.!

Thanks Croad, I'll ask!!!

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2009, 13:44 »
From reading the last 6pages and the research i have done on this illness and visits to the vets and phone calls to the same. the best thing to do with the chickens is to cull them all since you cant sell them cant mix other birds with them and you cant really do much with them they just look unhealth. and sound like the have been working down a coal mine all there lifes.
if you have chickens you have rats

croad langshan

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2009, 17:23 »
I agree to a certain extent but there is very little defra can do about it, its transmitted by wild birds in most cases and as i have said before there are two types of it, only one vaccine licenced for one type of mycoplasma in the UK and there are two types, I think culling is a good idea but if not possible then treat when sick. It has been around for a very long time but because we are seeing so many people keeping chickens then im afraid there will be more outbreaks of one type or another. The one eyed cold is what it used to be called fifty years ago.   Its nothing new and will always be around.  i had to cull 120 rare breed poultry last year to get rid of it, disinfected the ground and hen houses and reploughed and reseaded again. re stocked 1 month afterwards and it was back within a month, i now vaccinate and have to import one of the vaccines to deal with it. the vaccine does not last for ever though!!!! But touch wood i have not had much of a problem since. I have to keep all the stock on antibiotics all the time to be one hundred % sure. Paranoid me??? ???just slightly!   

Had myco once, culled the lot, only way really.
Went to an auction the other week and counted 30 birds showing myco symptoms...nice present to take back home with you.
Defra needs to take this more seriously, it;s a problem that is getting bigger and bigger.

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2009, 18:30 »
just one thing i cant seem to get a straight answer for and it is CAN YOU EAT THE EGG FROM A HEN THAT HAS MG OR ILT. oh also any ideas on how to cull 16 chickens to make them pass away peacefuly and keep my eyes from filling up.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2009, 18:47 »
I see no reason not to as neither infection can be passed to humans.

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2009, 18:51 »
yep i heard that myself that its safe to eat the eggs but also heard different so much different info on one subject that you dont know what info to go by.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2009, 19:16 »
If neither organisms are infectious to humans how could there be a problem drumcrow ?

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2009, 19:24 »
why you asking me for sally iam just tell you what i read thats all.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2009, 19:48 »
What did it say ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2009, 19:55 »
I had a hen that had myco sadly no longer with me (she got run over by a lorry  :ohmy:) but we still ate her eggs and none of the other birds we had at the time have shown any sign of it, so will still eat their eggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
mycoplasma.

Started by barley on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2013, 21:47
by barley
xx
Mycoplasma

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 08:15
by joyfull
xx
MYCOPLASMA

Started by The Oxtish on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 14:12
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mycoplasma?

Started by D on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 08:47
by joyfull

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 35 queries.