worming?

• 5 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
worming?
« on: September 14, 2008, 12:21 »
I flubenvetted my girls about a month ago, now i have brought 2 new girls home should i do them all again?
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bodger

worming?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:26 »
I wouldn't. The poor beggars will be shell shocked. That goes for your existing birds who still wont have ' recovered from your previous worming attempts and the new ones who havent even had time to settle in before they are slipped a dose of what is essentially a poison.

I've said it before, if the wheels not broken why fix it ? If your new birds are looking healthy, which they certainly should if you've just bought them, then I'd let them row in and fit into your existing worming regime.

Incidentally how often do you worm your birds ?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
worming?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:59 »
I was just gonna do it twice a year ! spring and autumn is this ok?

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
worming?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 13:34 »
Don't worm them yet as you have only just wormed your other girls.
I worm my girls approx every 3/4 months I also Ivermec my girls in the winter as there is egg with drawal with it so best to do it when no eggs are being laid.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
worming?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 14:09 »
I agree with Bodger, I'd not worm them, just let everyone settle in.

I would always consider the particular situation before give any medication to any animal.  It is recommended to worm hens every 6 months but that is a very sweeping generalisation and recommended by the manufactureres [IMO] for two reasons 1. They can't then be blamed for not recomending frequent enough treatment in the worst of environments. 2. They sell more product.  

I've not wormed mine for over a year.  They are at very low risk of worms  :!:

This is what I've said in the worming topic in the Information section.

The risk to chickens of contracting worms is very variable. A small worm burden is natural for all birds and will usually not cause a problem. If you just have a few hens in a run or in your garden the risk is quite small and wild birds is normally the only way they will get them, you may choose to worm these hens less frequently. If the land you have your birds on has been used for hens for a long time the risks are higher. The greatest risk is to large flocks of free range birds, you may choose to worm these more frequently.

ReaderRabbit

worming?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 22:53 »
My girls are around 23 weeks and have not yet come into lay.  I've had them for 5 weeks and have just ordered some flubenvet.  Is it worth worming them yet?

They are in a run in the garden but allowed out to free range for between 3 and 6 hours a day (more at weekends), but obviously this will reduce as the nights draw in.

Cheers

RR

xx
Worming

Started by jamima on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 08:00
by carolbriar
xx
Worming

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 09:13
by Carshay
xx
Worming - help!

Started by silkiechick on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 19:22
by symonep
xx
Worming

Started by mpv1961 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 10:02
by joyfull

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 32 queries.