Red Spider Mite

• 5 Replies

meriad

Red Spider Mite
« on: September 04, 2018, 10:12 »
First time I've had this so didn't recognise the symptoms early enough but my cucumbers now have red spider mite and the one plant has more or less died.  Is it too late to save the other one that is still showing some (not much) signs of life (or do you think it's late enough in the season that it's not worth trying to salvage and therefore better to just chop it all down and bin it (esp as I'm away next week).

If worth saving then what is the best was?  I gather spraying them and keeping the area humid may work? - I'd rather not use chemicals if at all possible

If not worth saving can I put it in the compost bin?  it's the council collected garden waste bin so has a lid and is far away from the greenhouse

Thank you !

Lardman

Re: Red Spider Mite
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 17:43 »
Are you sure it's RSM ? Cukes are fussy plants and can look unhealthy for all manner of reasons.

If it is RSM you're fighting a losing battle, it's a matter of time. I wouldn't waste your money on chemicals anything any that has any real impact on them isn't available to buy.  You can coach the plants along to some degree misting them with mild soapy water to increase the humidity if there are fruit you want to ripen.

If it was me, this late in the season off to the compost bin with the badly infested plant and keep a close eye on the other, first signs of trouble off to the compost heap.

Make sure you clean and disinfect the GH properly next spring.

meriad

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 16:15 »
Thanks Lardman.  To be honest, no I'm not 100% sure it is RSM, but having done some research and looking at various images of cucumbers affected by RSM I'm fairly certain it is.  I should have taken some photos.

But either way, I got home last night and had another look and I've removed the one plant; it was past saving.  Just hope the other one can recover a bit as it does have a few cucumbers still trying to grow.

What would you recommend as best disinfectant for the greenhouse when the time comes - good old Jeyes Fluid?   Or (just having looked) a sulphur candle?   

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 16:42 »
Clean everything with soapy water first to make sure the large debris is gone. I like jeyes, I liked it even more before they messed with it. I splosh a glug into a 5ltr pressure spray and soak everything making sure to get everywhere including inbetween the glass. I'm sure you're supposed to wear gloves, a mask and eye protection.

I bought a sulphur candle a few years back it's in the shed somewhere  :nowink:  ::)

meriad

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 17:09 »
I bought a sulphur candle a few years back it's in the shed somewhere
Do they work do you think?     

And clever idea re the Jeyes in a sprayer; I hadn't thought of that - doh!    ::)  I'd have been out there with bucket and sponge and probably cursing the whole way through

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 19:47 »
Do they work do you think?     

I imagine so and it certainly won't hurt to use one. Just make sure you've emptied the GH fully first. I'm too cheap to buy anymore and the tin doesn't cover the size of GH I have.

And clever idea re the Jeyes in a sprayer; I hadn't thought of that - doh!    ::)  I'd have been out there with bucket and sponge and probably cursing the whole way through

Not my idea stolen from somewhere else ;)  but be sensible about where you wave the sprayer joking aside it's not a good idea to inhale it.

angry
Spider mite

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 19:40
by Lardman
xx
Red spider mite on cucumbers

Started by Lottie Digger on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post October 13, 2017, 11:18
by Lottie Digger
sad
Red Spider Mite in my greenhouse?

Started by MichelleC on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 20:24
by mumofstig
xx
Red spider mites!

Started by gchadfield on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 16:31
by gchadfield

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.