Dead branches on a japanese acer

• 12 Replies

Beckie

« on: May 08, 2008, 22:13 »

Hi

In my garden I have a japanese acer that the new branches are dying off it is in well drained soil. Does anyone have any idea of what has casued this and what i can do to try and save the acer? :flower:
Beckie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 22:58 »
Has it been exposed to wind blasts (especially cold ones) - how exposed is it?  This will certainly affect foliage, perhaps also structure(?), but I don't have any other ideas at this time of night *yawn*
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 23:15 »
It does depend on how old it is..if you've just got it it may need time to settle in.

Though my japanese acer (flamingo)is pretty hardy some do suffer with the frost and especially wind.  Also some sun burn may have happened though that is unlikely owing that we've only had a few days of hot weather.
Give it a good pruning (though be careful to check not into the dead wood) and check for any pests.
Also acers like ericacheous soil, and benefit from potting into a larger pot once every three years (at least mine does) though careful with the root ball.  If its in the ground, dig some erecacheous soil around it.
I hope its ok, I love my acer too so id be upset if something happened to it.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:09 »
When I bought my cutleaf Jap. acer, the owner told me that they're very susceptible to drying out from winds and that winter protection with burlap helps a lot. So I did. Wrapped burlap twice around the whole small tree, ran twine around it to keep it from flapping about, and earthed up the bottom. When I unwrapped it this spring, it was thriving. And they do need regular moisture.

weeeed

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 20:45 »
Ok, you are talking about my all time fave. I love my acers. However in the last couple of years I have noticed when I looked very closely  these bugs on the trunk etc. They suck the sap out. I just rubbed my hands up and down until I got rid of them. I then puffed a powder antibiotic on and have had no problem since. Hope this helps. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

lincspoacher

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 22:43 »
Acers, and in particular japanese varieties, are stunningly sensitive to sun, wind, rain, cold, Ph, nutrient levels, the colour of your jumper and who won the cricket. Very very easy to upset.

If you just got it, you might have to experiment with location.

I had an a gorgeous acer that  grew happily in my garden for 4 years - until the roots touched the limestone 5 feet down, it shriveled and was very poorly, and even though repotted into a large tub, it died.  Acers hate lime. i have to plant them by digging a BIG hole, lining it with plastic, with a drain hole , and then backfilling with Irish Moss peat.

Are all the branches dying back or just new ones? What does the foliage do?  Is it dying back first, or is the branch dying off first and the leaves as a result? If the leaves have a silvery sheen it COULD conceivably be Silver Leaf Fungus, but its rare in an acer.

im more inclined to think location on this one.

Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 22:54 »
We've had scale insects too on ours, and had to remove by hand. Will try puffing something on it too. Thanks for that.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 23:17 »
**Acers, and in particular japanese varieties, are stunningly sensitive to sun, wind, rain, cold, Ph, nutrient levels, the colour of your jumper and who won the cricket. Very very easy to upset. ** (quote not working for me :-( )

lmao thats funny and so true!
Ive been lucky with my flamingo, but my ever red been a pain with winds especially
it was in a pot when I met mr peapod and he left it alone, it was virtually on deaths door when I got it
anyway, after a lot of hassle Ive finally found it a happy place :-)

I wouldnt mind, but the well behaved one is 6ft and the naughty boy is about 2 if that!!
I wish I had room for more, they are beautiful, when I see the japanese gardens on TV I want a private walled garden all of my own just for me and them   :D

Bombers

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 21:22 »
Did someone mention acers?
[/IMG]
This is my pride and joy. Acer Japonica Aureum. :D
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 21:46 »
Thats a Stunner!!

and gorgeous underplanting too sremob :-)

Is that an ever red in the background?

Bombers

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 22:03 »
Yes it is.. I also have Acer Palmatum, but lost my bamboo, :cry: behind the azalea.. any idea's for a replacement? :roll:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 22:14 »
ah im a big softie for bamboo too, got 8ft black bamboo next to ever red acer in a raised bed, gorgeous looking and easy to look after
Id just replace the bamboo :-)

Bombers

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 22:55 »
Quote from: "peapod"
ah im a big softie for bamboo too, got 8ft black bamboo next to ever red acer in a raised bed, gorgeous looking and easy to look after
Id just replace the bamboo :-)

Yes I too would love a black bamboo, but don't want anything too tall there.. shading my summer rasbs n, strawbs.... :) maybee just fill it with some bedding stuff for now, and look for longer term in the autumn.

xx
acer looking very dead

Started by Sleepingpopman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 13:01
by JayG
xx
acer

Started by davidmw on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 23:01
by chrissie B
xx
Acer

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 10:29
by sunshineband
xx
Moving a Acer??

Started by Parsnip on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 21:32
by Parsnip

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.