grease bands on fruit tress

• 12 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
grease bands on fruit tress
« on: April 10, 2009, 18:08 »
I put grease bands on my apple & pear to deter coddling moth over the winter.  When can it be taken off?

Trillium

Re: grease bands on fruit tress
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 18:17 »
I'd leave it on a while yet as there are other critters anxious to climb fruit trees now that they're growing again. If the band is getting tight or needs replacing, do so.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 19:59 »

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 20:04 »
I just tied a broad strip of black plastic around the trunk & slapped a load of grease on, the same  stuff as I use to grease the hinges on my car doors - needs must as the devil drives and all that.  I figured one grease is a s good as another.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 20:10 »
I just tied a broad strip of black plastic around the trunk & slapped a load of grease on, the same  stuff as I use to grease the hinges on my car doors - needs must as the devil drives and all that.  I figured one grease is a s good as another.

Won't the bugs just crawl between the plastic and the trunk ?? let us know the results please  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 20:30 »
After washing masses of greenfly and aphid out of the plum tree with soapy water i wondered how many would climb back  up the tree trunk. I wound some 2"wide sellotape around the trunk for 9" sticky side out.
Two days later it was completely smothered in the things so it proved they do climb back up.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 21:58 »
Two days later it was completely smothered in the things so it proved they do climb back up.

It could have been new arrivals just flown in

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 22:20 »
I tied the plastic on pretty tight top and bottom so it's bound to have deterred some of them right? TBH I was just in a hurry so grabbed whatever came to hand.  If it works cool, if it doesn't, I won't be in a sweat about it, there's always next season.  I used to work in commercial orchards and have to say they were never bothered with there but I guess there were enough trees to cope with the damage.  My trees have been neglected for a good long while so any attention must be a plus for them  :)  Don't think I would bother washing aphids off them, & definitely wouldn't bother spraying them with pesticides, it seems a hell of a lot of work, it must be easier to procure some ladybirds.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 22:24 »
Grow stinging nettles. Ladybirds love the dried stems to overwinter.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 23:02 »

It could have been new arrivals just flown in

The sticky band was only 18" off the ground and all the branches and leaves were at least 36" higher than the band which was about 100sq " in area and covered in greenfly, we`re talking thousands, the clear tape was now green. I reckon they were walking back not flying in as the leaves were fairly clean after. :)

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 07:25 »
  "Grow stinging nettles. Ladybirds love the dried stems to overwinter."

I expect I'm in a minority but stinging nettles are in my top 5 best plants of all time & I do have some on the plot that I will be leaving intact, not as many as I did have though.  I didn't realise that ladybirds overwintered on the stems though, I shall have to leave a few knocking around after taking the seed heads off, I know not all the neighbours feel the same way towards nettles  ::)

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 08:20 »
I tied the plastic on pretty tight top and bottom so it's bound to have deterred some of them right? TBH I was just in a hurry so grabbed whatever came to hand.  If it works cool, if it doesn't, I won't be in a sweat about it, there's always next season.  I used to work in commercial orchards and have to say they were never bothered with there but I guess there were enough trees to cope with the damage.  My trees have been neglected for a good long while so any attention must be a plus for them  :)  Don't think I would bother washing aphids off them, & definitely wouldn't bother spraying them with pesticides, it seems a hell of a lot of work, it must be easier to procure some ladybirds.
The trouble with aphid/greenfly on plum trees is they don`t just tap into the leaves they attack the unripe fruit which makes it vunerable to brown rot. The ladybirds were about but not enough and i`m far too tightfisted to buy reinforcements  at 50p* each.  :D

Ps *Now 60p +p&p Might farm ladybirds on the tree and buy plums  :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:35 by 8doubles »

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:30 »
I've just noticed some newly arrived greenfly on my new pear tree - now, I know i saw a ladybird at the weekend, if only I can find her again I'll be shoving her on the tree to do her stuff. Think I'll plant some marigolds round the bottom of the tree later on too.

xx
Grease bands

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2015, 17:30
by BumbleJo
xx
Grease or glue bands?

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 11:56
by BabbyAnn
xx
sticky bands for fruit trees

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 17:49
by polly nator
clip
Unusual frost damage of hardy-fruit flowers and likely outcomes for fruit?

Started by Joe Hicks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2020, 20:36
by DIY GRANDAD

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 34 queries.