Best growing season for years?

• 4 Replies

maxie

• Experienced Member
Best growing season for years?
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:04 »
My stuff on my allotment is growing best for a few years,i honestly thought french beans were a thing of the past,my sweetcorns never ripened for two years.My salad stuff has been fantastic,peas,beetroot,carrots,broad beans,cabbage etc  love it,id forgotten how much stuff liked a bit of heat,what do you think?

AnneB

Re: Best growing season for years?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:08 »
I agree completely.  I harvested a courgette yesterday, a yellow one.  It's the first one I have managed to produce since 2009.  Intervening years the plants have been got by slugs or never managed to fruit.  Last year I planted out a lovely Boston squash plant only to find next morning there was no trace of it at all and that happened twice.  This year I have one that seems to be growing at the rate of a foot a day in all directions! Here is yesterday's lettuce.  It is just fantastic all round.

Actually, I have just checked my records and memories play tricks.  It was only last year I didn't get courgettes, 2011 produced over 4kg of the things.  2012 was a very bad year!
image.jpg
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:19 by AnneB »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18 »
I agree last year was dire, but the few before that were ok here weatherwise  ;)

This year the cold spring made many crops late and caused problems with rotations and follow-on crops, because the first crops were still in the ground when the second ones should have been planted   :(

Pumkins and squash went in later than usual, so I hope they have enough time to catch-up and mature.
They're loving this weather, though...............long may it continue  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:22 »
I agree last year was dire, but the few before that were ok here weatherwise  ;)

This year the cold spring made many crops late and caused problems with rotations and follow-on crops, because the first crops were still in the ground when the second ones should have been planted   :(

Pumkins and squash went in later than usual, so I hope they have enough time to catch-up and mature.
They're loving this weather, though...............long may it continue  :D
My squash are steaming ahead compared to last year, so I have high hopes for a decent crop this year (fingers crossed!  ::)).  I was pottering on the deck earlier a got a whiff of a glorious fragrance, which my beak finally tracked down to a newly opened Uchiki Kuri flower.  Beautiful!  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Ema

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35 »
Everything's growig nicely here too! Really noticeing the difference with the toms in my back garden last year they were slow and in October the remaining fruits started to split with all the rain from a heavy down poor

xx
Growing last years potatoes

Started by mctoon on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 12, 2017, 22:03
by snow white
xx
New growing season

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:04
by rowlandwells
xx
Growing sweetcorn in the same spot 2 years running

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2022, 15:08
by mumofstig
thumbup
Start of the new growing season

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 18:24
by Christo

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 40 queries.