E-books on sale

• 57 Replies

WeavingGryphon

E-books on sale
« on: November 30, 2019, 15:13 »
Thought I'd start a thread for me to tell anyone who reads e-books what is on sale. I focus on food, fabric and gardening (pssst Buy John and Val's books).

Today it's the history of making fabric and how it made society. I quoted the blurb below

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Thread-Fabric-Changed-History-ebook/dp/B07C7FBYMN?_bbid=13598080&tag=bookbubemail-21

** A RADIO 4 BOOK OF THE WEEK **

'Fascinating . . . The history of the world through the eye of a needle . . . I recommend this book to anyone' THE SPECTATOR
'A charming, absorbing and history that takes us on a journey from the silk roads to sportswear, from ruffs to spacesuits . . . I devoured this quietly feminist book' SUNDAY TIMES
'Joyful and beautiful' NATURE
'Will make you rethink your relationship with fabric' ELLE DECORATION

All textiles begin with a twist. From colourful 30,000-year old threads found on the floor of a Georgian cave to what the linen wrappings of Tutankhamun's mummy actually meant; from the Silk Roads to the woollen sails that helped the Vikings reach America 700 years before Columbus; from the lace ruffs that infuriated the puritans to the Indian calicoes and chintzes that powered the Industrial Revolution, our continuing reinvention of cloth tells fascinating stories of human ingenuity.

When we talk of lives hanging by a thread, being interwoven, or part of the social fabric, we are part of a tradition that stretches back many thousands of years. Fabric has allowed us to achieve extraordinary things and survive in unlikely places, and this book shows you how -- and why.
With a cast that includes Chinese empresses, Richard the Lionheart and Bing Crosby, Kassia St Clair takes us on the run with escaped slaves, climbing the slopes of Everest and moonwalking with astronauts. Running like a bright line through history, The Golden Thread offers an unforgettable adventure through our past, present and future.

WeavingGryphon

Re: E-books on sale
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 16:38 »
This is on the Cyber Monday deals so you have until the 2nd December to get them. Don't hold me responsible for how much you like them.

30 Years at Ballymaloe: A celebration of the world-renowned cookery school with over 100 new recipes (Irish Cookery) by Darina Allen. 99p down from £9.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/30-Years-Ballymaloe-celebration-world-renowned-ebook/dp/B07D6QWC76/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=darina+allen&qid=1575217408&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-10

When Ballymaloe's doors opened to students in 1983 there were 15 courses available. Now there are over 100, reflected in the recipes collected here, including curing meat, making gluten-free meals and sushi as well as learning forgotten skills like producing butter and cheese and beekeeping. The book chronicles how the school has been at the forefront of cooking and food trends since its inception, from Darina's championing of the Slow Food movement and her highlighting the importance of using local, seasonal and fresh produce to installing a wood-burning oven and expanding its gardens so students can learn the importance of eating less meat and more veg and preserving heirloom varieties of produce. A fascinating insight into Ballymaloe, this is also a history of food over the past thirty years, from a time when Darina couldn't get anything other than pre-packaged, grated Parmesan cheese to one where a local producer makes his own mozzarella.

Meadowland: the private life of an English field
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meadowland-private-life-English-field-ebook/dp/B00HS2NMKS/ref=sr_1_4?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1575217693&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-4

HE PERFECT Christmas GIFT FOR NATURE LOVERS AND READERS

'BRITAIN'S FINEST LIVING NATURE WRITER' - THE TIMES

WINNER OF THE THWAITES WAINWRIGHT PRIZE 2015

What really goes on in the long grass?

Meadowland gives an unique and intimate account of an English meadow’s life from January to December, together with its biography. In exquisite prose, John Lewis-Stempel records the passage of the seasons from cowslips in spring to the hay-cutting of summer and grazing in autumn, and includes the biographies of the animals that inhabit the grass and the soil beneath: the badger clan, the fox family, the rabbit warren,the skylark brood and the curlew pair, among others. Their births, lives, and deaths are stories that thread through the book from first page to last.

For people who like fishing
HOOKED: Adventures in Angling and Eating

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOOKED-Tales-Shore-Mark-Hix-ebook/dp/B07D6RDZHD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hOOKED%3A+Adventures+in+Angling+and+Eating&qid=1575218911&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-1

Hooked delves into the exciting fishing adventures of celebrated chef, restaurateur and food writer Mark Hix, opening with the story of his first catch, age 8, being cooked for supper by his grandmother - the catalyst for what has become his passion.

You will be regaled with tales of extraordinary fishing expeditions at home and afar, from the banks of the Dumfriesshire coast to Tuscany's Porto Ercole, with each trip ending with a feast - be it the catch of the day (if all went to plan), or something found and foraged if the need arises (always have a back-up plan). Hooked features both exotic and humble dishes such as Hot stone salmon, Barracuda & pineapple ceviche, Trout kedgeree and Mahi mahi sashimi.

Weaved into the narrative are the infectious, and unexpected, joys of fishing and what it does for you. Hint: it's not necessarily about the fish.

Featured locations:
England, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Florida, The Bahamas, South Africa, Japan, Australia, New Zealand

Finally 99p down from £9.99
Higgidy: The Cookbook: 100 recipes for pies and more

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Higgidy-Cookbook-recipes-pies-more-ebook/dp/B07CRHFDJB/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=higgidy&qid=1575218963&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-2

Higgidy is known for its scrumptious pies and tarts. In this updated edition of their debut cookbook, co-founder and chief pie maker Camilla Stephens ventures beyond pastry with new recipes for healthy and delicious frittatas and more. Also included of course are mouth-watering Higgidy classics such as Chicken Pot Pie, the Best Quiche Lorraine and Salted Pecan Fudge Pie.

From chapters on Simple Suppers and Crafty Quiches to Party Pies and Sweet Treats, all your cooking needs are covered, so you can enjoy a Simple Fish Pie for an after-work supper, Lemony Asparagus & Ricotta Tart for a summer picnic, Little Hot Dog Rolls and Mini Chorizo and Chilli Tartlets for a party and a Chocolate Snowflake Tart for a wintry treat.

With Camilla's expert guidance on foolproof pastry techniques added in, this is a wonderful source of heartwarming recipes for family and friends.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 16:49 by WeavingGryphon »

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 16:48 »
Found another down to £1.99

Our Planet: The official companion to the ground-breaking Netflix original Attenborough series with a special foreword by David Attenborough

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Planet-Alastair-Fothergill-ebook/dp/B07KBQ6N53/ref=sr_1_18?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1575218525&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-18

‘The future of all life on this earth depends on our willingness to take action now’ - David Attenborough

What we do in the next twenty years will determine the future of not just the natural world but humanity itself.

With a foreword by Sir David Attenborough, breathtakingly beautiful still photography, specially commissioned maps and graphics, and compelling text expanding on the remarkable TV stories and giving the reader a depth of information that is impossible on screen, this companion book presents a whole new view of the place we call home.

Featuring some of the world's rarest creatures and previously unseen parts of the Earth—from deep oceans to remote forests to ice caps—Our Planet takes nature-lovers deep into the science of our natural world.

Revealing the most amazing sights on Earth in unprecedented ways, alongside stories of the ways humans are affecting the world’s ecosystems—from the wildebeest migrations in Africa to the penguin colonies of Antarctica—this book captures in one concise narrative a fundamental message:

If we don't act now to protect and preserve our planet, the beauty we're lucky enough to witness on these pages will have disappeared . . .

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 13:11 »
Another Darina Allen Ballymaloe Cookery Course: Revised Edition. Down from £23.99- 99p

I have the hard copy of this and it is FANTASTIC. Not just cooking, has gardening tips. Really excited to get this on e-book as well. It's a massive heavy book 640 pages long which can be really heavy. Unlike many cook books where you get a big book they have one recipe per page, lots of white space and then a huge picture of the dish on the facing page. Her cook books have 10 recipes and variations on a page and suggestions on seasonality. Some of her books give growing advice as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballymaloe-Cookery-Course-Darina-Allen-ebook/dp/B07HM9855G/ref=sr_1_7?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1575982390&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-7
Darina Allen has won many awards such as the World Gourmand Cookbook Award 2018, the Andre Simon Food Book Award, the Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Irish Culinary Sector by Euro-Toques, the UK Guild of Food Writers Lifetime Achievement Award and the 2018 Guaranteed Irish Food Hero Award.

'At last, a truly user-friendly cookery manual...Lovely recipes and plenty of help for the new cook.' Observer Food Monthly

'It's a modern day Mrs Beeton.' Independent on Sunday

Ballymaloe is one of the world's best cookery schools and Darina Allen, its co-founder and main teacher, is in a league of her own. Every student who has gone through her school has begged her to write down her recipes and thoughts, tips and shortcuts, and here they are in this definitive teaching book, which has everything to inform and inspire you to become adventurous in the kitchen. Ballymaloe Cookery Course explains 1,175 recipes, 370 variations and more than 100 basic skills, from making pastry to the art of carving, from preserving lemons to making delicious home-made pasta, from culturing creamy yogurt to butterflying a leg of lamb: the simple instructions given by one of the world's great cookery teachers will inspire you to prepare and enjoy the art of fresh produce and fine food.

The Ritz London: The Cookbook, 99p - hard cover new is £19.80. It's an interesting read, tried a couple of recipes and they worked, my lot enjoyed them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ritz-London-Cookbook-John-Williams-ebook/dp/B07CL1PCMS/ref=sr_1_14?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1575982390&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-14
AS SEEN ON TV

As featured on ITV's 'Inside the Ritz' series

'When you look at the dishes in this book, the photographs - it's beyond beautiful. You wouldn't need to cook a thing. You could just flick through these pages - it is a proper feast for the eyes.' - Graham Norton

'The dining room has long attracted old-world grandees and now enjoys a new stream of gastronauts eager to try Williams' "Menu Surprise" for the first time ... Extraordinary standards.' - British GQ

'[John William's] distinctive classical British dishes match their beautiful surrounding.' - Telegraph

'These establishments have long and illustrious histories, but the cooking at both has never been better than it is today.' - Rebecca Burr, Editor of the Michelin Guide

' John's remarkable career is an example to anyone who wants to become the very best in the culinary world.' - Andrew Oxley, Head of Hotel & Hospitality Services at The AA

The Ritz: The Quintessential Cookbook is the first book to celebrate recipes of the dishes served today, at lunch and at dinner. The book features 100 delicious recipes, such as Roast scallops bergamot & avocado, Saddle of lamb belle époque and Grand Marnier Soufflé, and is divided into the four seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter.

The recipes reflect the glorious opulence and celebratory ambience of The Ritz; seasonal dishes of fish, shellfish, meat, poultry and game. Desserts include pastries, mousses, ice creams and spectacular, perfectly-risen soufflés. There are recipes that are simple and others for the more ambitious cook, plus helpful tips to guide you at home.

Along the way, John Williams shares his culinary philosophy and expertise. For any cook who has wondered how they do it at The Ritz, this book will provide the answers. There will be plenty of entertaining tales about the hotel and unique glimpses of London's finest kitchen beneath ground.

Fortnum and Mason £2.99
I do not have this since I got their conserves book, I thought it's be full of recipes but it was mostly them talking about how wonderful they thought they were and classy their décor was (they've gilded their white beehives that sit on the roof, how fancy pants are they?). It got put back. You can get a sample and judge you yourselves if it's any good. It's a Sunday Times best seller so someone likes it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cook-Book-Fortnum-Mason-ebook/dp/B01DT37C1Y/ref=sr_1_13?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1575982390&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-13

Sunday Times Bestseller

It’s a national icon, a British institution, the finest grocer of them all. Fortnum & Mason is a store that has fuelled the tide of British history, fed the appetites of kings and queens, maharajahs and czars, emperors, dukes and divas alike.

Fortnum & Mason is a constantly evolving, hugely successful modern enterprise, one that respects its magnificent history while looking forward into the 21st century. The first Fortnum & Mason’s cook book does the same, appealing to the modern reader and cook, whilst never forgetting the past.

A contemporary, accessible recipe book that combines superb recipes and expert advice on ingredients, The Cook Book: Fortnum & Mason shines a light on the history of the best British cuisine, with delicious, contemporary Modern British dishes.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook: The number one best-seller now revised and expanded with new recipes Kindle Edition. Down to 99p. I have it, lots of good, interesting and tasty cakes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hummingbird-Bakery-Cookbook-best-seller-expanded-ebook/dp/B072R1X6BK/ref=sr_1_11?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1575982390&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-11

The number one bestseller (more than 830,000 copies sold) now updated with new recipes.

From their first shop in Notting Hill's Portobello Road, The Hummingbird Bakery introduced London to the delights of American-style baking. The simple yet spectacular recipes for indulgent cupcakes, muffins, pies, cheesecakes, brownies, cakes and cookies, in this, their first and bestselling cookbook, ensured that the home cook could create some Hummingbird magic in their own kitchens too.

Now Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers have created a new edition of the book, fine-tuning their classic recipes and introducing new bakes such as:

Mile-high Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake

Sticky Fig and Pistachio Cupcakes

Hot Cross Bun Cupcakes

Chocolate Cola Cake

The Louise Parker Method: Lean for Life down to 99p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Louise-Parker-Method-Lean-Life-ebook/dp/B01BKSIFKC/ref=sr_1_10?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1575982390&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-10

Louise Parker, AKA the figure magician, has worked her magic on actors, athletes, pop stars, politicians and princesses and believes absolutely anyone can have a sensational body.'
Glamour

'Louise Parker is one of the very few weight-loss experts worth the title. A genius method, an unbelievable client list and years of experience.'
Good Housekeeping

'Clever, kind and committed to getting you the best body possible. Louise Parker really does think of everything.'
Tatler

'Quite simply the most intelligent weight-loss programme out there.'
Independent

It is not a diet - it is an inspiring, easy-to-follow programme for life, consisting of two phases:
TRANSFORM - taking the direct route to your best body
LIFESTYLE - protecting your results for life

The method is the best-kept secret of A-list celebrities, royals, global CEOs, entrepreneurs and London society - the quickest, most do-able approach of total body and lifestyle transformation. It contains over 80 effortless recipes to help you 'Eat Beautifully' and avoid being 'Organically Overweight'. Many of the recipes call for fewer than 8 ingredients and take just 8 minutes to prepare.

For the first time, Louise shares her unique four-pronged approach to lasting success that has made her method the mecca for worldwide clients demanding the most intelligent, focused and practical solution to permanent weight loss and habit change. The book details four simple pillars that promise you can drop two dress sizes in six weeks without a chia seed in sight.

Think Successfully - positivity, keeping inspiring company and making time for simple pleasures every single day
Live Well - de-cluttering your surroundings, a Digital Detox after 9pm every night, sleeping 7-8 hours a night and taking 20 minutes a day to 'brain nap'
Eat Beautifully - eating 3 meals and 2 snacks daily from any of the 80 delicious recipes in the book
Exercise Intelligently - achievable goals of walk a minimum of 10,000 steps, exercise for 30 minutes, following Louise's workouts or other exercises you enjoy

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 10:45 »
I will add now I've had a look at the 30 years at Ballymahoe I didn't realise what the nature of the book was-a biography of the school with some recipes. I wouldn't say don't buy it, but now I've had a look at it it's off my OMG IT'S ON SALE GET IT, GET IT, GOT IT, MY LIFE IS BETTER list. I'm glad I have it so I now know it wasn't worth the full price. If your on a budget DEFINITELY buy the other book Ballymaloe Cookery Course: Revised Edition. Down from £23.99- 99p, I have it in hard copy and it is on my essentials cook book list. It has "1,175 recipes, 370 variations and more than 100 basic skills". 99p for 1'175 recipes is good. Most high end recipe books have 100 odd recipes so your getting a huge amount of bang for your 99p. The 30 years now isn't in the same league, it's for die hard fans.

Link to what is on my must have cook books list. Top 10 of around 300 books.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballymaloe-Cookery-Course-Darina-Allen-ebook/dp/B07HM9855G/ref=sr_1_7?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1575982390&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-7

Sirocco: Fabulous Flavours from the East: From the Sunday Times no.1 bestselling author of Feasts, Persiana and Bazaar by Sabrina Ghayour. Have this, it's interesting and I've cooked a few recipes, they were nice and it was an interesting book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sirocco-Fabulous-Flavours-Sabrina-Ghayour-ebook/dp/B016IOF9JS/ref=sr_1_12?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1576060625&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-12
THE NO.1 SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

Shortlisted for the Book of the Year - Food & Travel Reader Awards

From the author of Persiana - the golden girl of Middle Eastern cookery - Sirocco will bring tastes of the East to Western-style dishes in a collection of 100 delicious and accessible recipes. With an emphasis on simple ingredients and strong flavours, Ghayour will bring her modern inspirational touch to a variety of dishes ranging from classics and comfort food to spectacular salads and sweet treats.

Sabrina's highly anticipated follow-up, FEASTS, is out now!

**Special Bonus Chapter** Download an exclusive 'Little Bites' bonus chapter for FREE by searching 'Feasts: Little Bites' and get 10 extra recipes, exclusive to Amazon.

Praise for Persiana:
'Loving Persiana' - Nigella Lawson
'An instant classic' - Observer Food Monthly
'The most exciting debut cookbook of the year' - Sunday Telegraph Stella
'A fantastic treasure trove of good food' - Raymond Blanc
'Sumptuous, thrilling, learned and downright brilliant' - Mail on Sunday
'The most appetizing book - I want to eat every page of it' - Pierre Koffmann
'Sabrina cooks the kind of food I love to eat' - Bruno Loubet
'Brilliant for the novice, the timepoor and even the seasoned cook' - Guardian
'Will have you salivating with Pavlovian gusto on page after page' - Independent
'This book will delight fans of Ottolenghi-style food' - Waitrose Kitchen
'Easy to decipher, packed with lots of flavour and... surprisingly easy to pull off' - Huffington Post
'A gorgeously produced ode to richly spiced, exotic food from the Middle East and beyond' - A Little Bird
'The latest doyenne of Persian food' - Metro

The Way We Eat Now: Strategies for Eating in a World of Change by Bee Wilson, to £1.49
About changing eating habits and diet. Just got it as it sounds interesting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-We-Eat-Now-ebook/dp/B07DQ7YQSD/ref=sr_1_2?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1576060625&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-2

We never snacked like this and we never binged like this. We never had so many superfoods, or so many chips. We were never quite so confused about food, and what it actually is.

This is a book about the good, the terrible and the avocado toast. A riveting exploration of the hidden forces behind what we eat, The Way We Eat Now explains how modern food, in all its complexity, has transformed our lives and our world. To re-establish eating as something that gives us both joy and health, we need to find out where we are right now, how we got here and what it is that we share.

Award-winning food writer Bee Wilson explores everything from meal replacements such as Huel, the disappearing lunch hour, the rise of veganism, the lack of time to cook and prepare food and the rapid increase in food delivery services. And Bee provides her own doable strategies for how we might navigate the many options available to us to have a balanced, happier relationship with the food we eat.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 10:52 by WeavingGryphon »

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 20:34 »
Today's daily deal is

BISH BASH BOSH!: The Sunday Times bestseller, packed with all your vegan Christmas recipes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J62CCDG/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c2_x_0_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=2HTY6W0AH0QN4VYTHSG4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f919c5f8-edf0-4006-8e4e-0da74f867846&pf_rd_i=5400977031

Includes all your vegan Christmas recipes!

‘The Vegan Jamie Olivers’ The Times
Over 140 brand new, unmissable plant-based recipes.

Do you want a quick weeknight supper that gets more veg into your diet? A show-stopping vegan summer barbecue? A fun, fresh meal plan to set you up with plant-based packed lunches? Whatever you’re after, BISH BASH BOSH! has the perfect recipe.

Henry and Ian have created a food revolution through the world’s biggest plant-based platform. Their first cookbook was the highest-selling vegan cookbook ever, and with over 2 million followers across all their fast-growing channels, BOSH! are on a mission to show the world just how versatile cooking with veg can be.

In BISH BASH BOSH! you’ll discover a whole world of quick eats, weeknight suppers, showstopping feasts, and incredible sweet treats – all using the power of plants. From a hearty, classic lasagne to an indulgent mini banoffee meringue, and from quick quesadillas to an incredible curry house jalfrezi, these are simple, savvy recipes that you’ll turn to time and again.

Whether you are a committed vegan, trying plant-based food for the first time, or simply just want to try a meal a week without meat, this book has all the know-how and inspiration you need.

BISH BASH BOSH!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 11:21 »
Hairy Bikers today only on daily deal 99p.

he Hairy Bikers' British Classics: Over 100 recipes celebrating timeless cooking and the nation’s favourite dishes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DNDL48G/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c2_x_3_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=9K0ZBDNSN3EEC6DKW1T2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f919c5f8-edf0-4006-8e4e-0da74f867846&pf_rd_i=5400977031
In this brand-new collection of the finest classic recipes, Si King and Dave Myers, AKA the Hairy Bikers, celebrate the riches and delights of great home cooking. Always triple-tested, always full of flavour, Si and Dave's recipes are everything we love about great food.

From savoury classics such as the perfect prawn cocktail, homely homity pie, rich Lancashire hotpot and herb-stuffed shoulder of lamb, to sweet crowd-pleasing puds like jam roly poly and deep-filled lemon meringue pie, there are recipe favourites on every page.

With chapters on soups and salads, family suppers, classic comfort food, Sunday dinners, BBQ and picnics, tea time and puddings - this collection caters for all. It also has a fantastic Christmas section on classic festive feasts with all-new Biker twists.

So, be inspired to cook the very best of the Bikers in this new collection of their favourite recipes and ever-popular modern British classics.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 13:29 »
Daily deal down to 99p.

Jamie Oliver's Christmas Cookbook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IX1T06W/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c2_x_1_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=8P5WQZ7T9C9G20A3PENP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f919c5f8-edf0-4006-8e4e-0da74f867846&pf_rd_i=5400977031

Jamie Oliver has got Christmas covered with the ULTIMATE festive cookbook that you will come back to year after year.

With classic recipes for every part of Christmas dinner, veggie alternatives, clever ways to use up all of those leftovers, top tips for cooking meat perfectly, and even recipes for edible gifts and Christmas cocktails - he really has thought of everything!

Recipes include:

SMART STARTERS like BEEF CARPACCIO or ROASTED APPLE & SQUASH SOUP

MAIN DISHES such as ROAST TURKEY, JERK HAM, SALT CRUST SALMON, BAKED SQUASH or NUT ROAST

ALL THE ACCOMPANIMENTS from THE BEST ROAST POTATOES to CRANBERRY SAUCE

GENIUS WAYS TO USE UP LEFTOVERS including TURKEY RISOTTO, BUBBLE & SQUEAK or WINTER RAGU

DELICIOUS DESSERTS like BANOFFEE ALASKA, CHOCOLATE POTS or WINTER BOMBE

IDEAS FOR HOMEMADE GIFTS such as FUDGE, BISCOTTI, FLORENTINES or PEAR PICKLE

It's a comprehensive guide to every stage of Christmas cooking!

'OUR FAVOURITE. It is a 400-page-plus volume featuring recipes that will become your go-tos for the festive period and beyond' Independent

'EXCELLENT' Evening Standard

DAILY MAIL BOOKS OF THE YEAR

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 17:07 »
MISSED THIS. There are 2 cooking books on sale today to 99p. I have this one and use some of the recipes (waffle one mostly).

Rick Stein's Long Weekends

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K9DTB9I/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c2_x_3_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=JCD6MS49FRNBRAVFYDCK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f919c5f8-edf0-4006-8e4e-0da74f867846&pf_rd_i=5400977031
To accompany the major BBC Two series, Rick Stein’s Long Weekends is a mouthwatering collection of over 100 recipes from ten European cities. Rick’s recipes are designed to cater for all your weekend meals. For a quick Friday night supper Icelandic breaded lamb chops will do the trick, and Huevos a la Flamenca makes a tasty Saturday brunch. Viennese Tafelspitz is perfect for Sunday lunch, and of course no weekend would be complete without Portuguese custard tarts or Berliner Doughnuts for an afternoon treat.

Accompanied by beautiful photography of the food and locations, and complemented by his personal memories and travel tips for each city, Rick will inspire you to re-create the magic of a long weekend in your own home.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 16:57 »
The first book of a Game of Thrones is down to 99p today. The books in the series are usually about the £4.99 -  £6.99 range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004GJXQ20/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c2_x_0_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=SNG7YTC5JFDSD9B042H6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f919c5f8-edf0-4006-8e4e-0da74f867846&pf_rd_i=5400977031

Blurb, if anyone needs or wants it.

HBO’s hit series A GAME OF THRONES is based on George R. R. Martin’s internationally bestselling series A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, the greatest fantasy epic of the modern age. A GAME OF THRONES is the first volume in the series.

Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.

The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 13:03 »
To comment on the above post, A Game of Thrones is up to £2.99.

12 Days of Christmas deals, there's some cook books and this one which I highly recommend as very interesting and very funny.

99p And Then You're Dead: A Scientific Exploration of the World's Most Interesting Ways to Die by Paul Doherty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Then-Youre-Dead-Exploration-Interesting-ebook/dp/B0747KS5KK/ref=sr_1_423?qid=1577356687&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-423

"Entertaining - if harrowing." - New York Times Book Review

What would happen if you took a swim outside a deep-sea submarine wearing only Speedos? How long could you last if you stood on the surface of the sun? How far could you actually get in digging a hole to China?

And Then You're Dead offers serious answers to these horribly interesting questions. Paul Doherty and Cody Cassidy explore the real science behind these and other fantastical scenarios, offering insights into physics, astronomy, anatomy and more along the way. Illustrated with straightforward technical art and leavened by small doses of dry humour, And Then You're Dead is both scientifically informative and gruesomely entertaining.

Kaukasis The Cookbook: The culinary journey through Georgia, Azerbaijan & beyond

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaukasis-Cookbook-culinary-journey-Azerbaijan-ebook/dp/B01N9X6J6M/ref=sr_1_410?qid=1577356669&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-410

"A sensitive, personal journey expressed through the beauty of food - just wonderful" - Jamie Oliver

"Olia Hercules is a storyteller-foodwriter, and a wholly original voice in the kitchen - there's not a recipe of hers I don't want to cook immediately" - Nigella Lawson

"You might not think you would be interested in a book celebrating the food and flavours of the Caucasus...but you would be wrong. Olia Hercules is a great storyteller who will take you on a journey through the region without you ever having to leave the sofa" - Sunday Time Ireland

"This is an incredible book - as I began to leaf through I started to smile, and I didn't stop" - Diana Henry

"Each recipe has a story, making this a fascinating read as well as a stunning cookbook" - BBC Good Food

"If the cooking of the Caucasian region isn't yet on your radar, it soon will be. (...) These gorgeous, flavour-packed recipes will give you a taste of what you've been missing" - delicious. magazine

From the winner of the Observer's Rising Star Award and Fortnum & Mason Debut Food Book Award 2016 comes a celebration of the food and flavours of the Caucasus - bridging Europe and Asia and incorporating Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Iran, Russia and Turkey. Olia Hercules introduces us to more than 100 recipes for vibrant, earthy, unexpected dishes from across the region such as Plum fruit leather, Chestnut plov with pumpkin crust, Quince stuffed with lamb & carmalised shallots, Vine leaf dolma, Village breakfast, Khachapouri, Armenian "cognac" profiteroles and Red basil sherbet.

Gino's Veg Italia!: 100 quick and easy vegetarian recipes By Gino D'Acampo down to 99p
I own this and it's interesting and the recipes I cooker were good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ginos-Veg-Italia-vegetarian-recipes-ebook/dp/B00PW5V340/ref=sr_1_9?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1577364676&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-9

Healthy Italian recipes from Britain's favourite Italian chef.

In his first meat-free cookbook, Gino D'Acampo brings together his favourite dishes. The Italian diet is one of the healthiest in the world. Based on simple fresh vegetables and crisp salads, and flavoured with herbs, oils and chilli, Italian food offers endless healthy recipes.

From simple pasta and gnocchi, pizzas and breads, antipasti and salads, gratins and bakes, the possibilities are endless. And because the recipes use the freshest vegetables and salads, you can enjoy delicious Italian food without piling on the pounds.

Gordon Ramsay Ultimate Fit Food: Mouth-watering recipes to fuel you for life down to 99p.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gordon-Ramsay-Ultimate-Food-Mouth-watering-ebook/dp/B073BQJWRF/ref=sr_1_10?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1577364676&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-10

'These are my go-to recipes when I want to eat well at home. My great hope is that they will inspire you to get cooking to improve your own health whatever your personal goal.'
GORDON RAMSAY

The dream combination - a Michelin-starred superchef who is also a committed athlete. Gordon knows how important it is to eat well, whether you're training for a triathlon or just leading a busy active life. And just because it's healthy food you don't have to compromise on taste and flavour.

The book is divided into three sections, each one offering breakfasts, lunches, suppers, sides and snacks with different health-boosting benefits. The Healthy section consists of nourishing recipes for general wellbeing; the Lean recipes encourage healthy weight loss; and the Fit section features pre- and post-workout dishes to build strength and energise.

This is the ultimate collection of recipes that you'll enjoy cooking and eating, and will leave you in great shape whatever your fitness goals.

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking Fress (Yiddish): 'to eat copiously and without restraint'
I have this one, it's very interesting if you like to know the science behind why things aren't quite right in the cooking department. £2.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salt-Fat-Acid-Heat-Mastering-ebook/dp/B01MQCCXPW/ref=sr_1_6?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1577364676&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-6

Now a Netflix series

WINNER OF THE FORTNUM & MASON BEST DEBUT FOOD BOOK 2018

Sunday Times Food Book of the Year and New York Times bestseller

While cooking at Chez Panisse at the start of her career, Samin Nosrat noticed that amid the chaos of the kitchen there were four key principles that her fellow chefs would always fall back on to make their food better: Salt, Fat, Acid and Heat.

By mastering these four variables, Samin found the confidence to trust her instincts in the kitchen and cook delicious meals with any ingredients. And with her simple but revolutionary method, she has taught masterclasses to give both professionals and amateurs the skills to cook instinctively.

Whether you want to balance your vinaigrette, perfectly caramelise your roasted vegetables or braise meltingly tender stews, Samin's canon of 100 essential recipes and their dozens of variations will teach you how.

Oklava: Recipes from a Turkish–Cypriot kitchen
Down to 99p. Tried the falafal recipe, taste as you salt, but I think our salt is super salty. The pomegranate glazed lamb went down very well in the past and I'll probably adapt it to some leftovers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oklava-Recipes-Turkish-Cypriot-Selin-Kiazim-ebook/dp/B01LY8BW1I/ref=sr_1_14?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1577364676&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-14

Fantastic Turkish-Cypriot food' - Yotam Ottolenghi
'Welcome to the extremely tasty world of modern Turkish-Cypriot food - what a stunning and beautiful book' - Peter Gordon
'This woman can blooming cook' - Grace Dent, Evening Standard
'Keep an eye out for Selin Kiazim, because she is going places, in every conceivable way' - Giles Coren, The Times
'Swoon' - Time Out London

With influences from the Mediterranean, Southern Europe and the Middle East, Turkish-Cypriot food offers incredible flavour combinations unique to its region. Oklava: The Cookbook celebrates the culinary delights of this area in a way no cookbook has done before.

Oklava translates simply as 'rolling pin'. For Selin Kiazim, this word conjures up memories of her Turkish-Cypriot grandmother: a rolling pin was never far from her hands, which meant a delicious treat was imminent. The same can be said for this book. These sensational recipes will take you on a journey from home-cooked meals and summers spent in North Cyprus to an exciting interpretation of modern Turkish-Cypriot cooking in London.

Bring the Oklava experience into your home with Turkish delights such as Pistachio-crusted Banana & Tahini French Toast with Orange Blossom Syrup & Smoked Streaky Bacon; Grilled Quails with Palm Sugar, Sumac & Oregano Glaze; Courgette, Feta & Mint Fritters; Crispy Pomegranate-Glazed Lamb Breast with Yoghurt; Chilli-Roast Cauliflower; and Chocolate, Prune & Cardamom Delice.

The Savvy Cook Izy Hossack 99p
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Savvy-Cook-Izy-Hossack-ebook/dp/B01N2QK9LK/ref=sr_1_15?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1577364676&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-15

'The new Nigella' - The Times

'My aim is maximum flavour for minimum effort, without breaking the bank' - Izy Hossack

For those cooking for themselves for the first time, or for anyone who wants the weekly budget to go a bit further without sacrificing flavour, cooking sensation Izy Hossack has all the answers.

With features that include menu plans, clever alternatives to meat and giving last-night's leftovers a makeover, The Savvy Cook is full of more than 160 nourishing and totally delicious vegetarian recipes that will be kind to your body, wallet and free-time. It's not about health fads, 'antioxidants' or obscure ingredients. Just honest, nourishing and delicious cooking that will make you glow inside and out!

Recipes include Berry Oat Smoothie Boxes, Ricotta Gnocchi with Pesto & Courgettes, Lazy Potato Hash and Lemon Blueberry Drizzle Cake. Each recipe also contains a key, making it easy to spot the vegan, dairy- and gluten-free options. From healthy breakfasts to warming suppers, delicious sweet treats to snacks for sharing, Izy shares her favourite recipes that will make cooking easy for the new cook operating on a tight budget and busy schedule.

Fress: Bold, Fresh Flavours from a Jewish Kitchen 99p Emma Spitzer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fress-Fresh-Flavours-Jewish-Kitchen-ebook/dp/B01M7NJ8V2/ref=sr_1_16?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1577364676&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-16

Fress (Yiddish): 'to eat copiously and without restraint'

'Fress, the knockout debut cookbook from Emma Spitzer, a 2015 finalist on Britain's 'Masterchef' show, seamlessly blends Ashkenazic and Sephardic culinary heritage ...
Spitzer is a Brighton-born travel business entrepeneur who now caters and teaches cooking classes ... her voice is that of a home cook privileged to be a part of the new food world order, acknowledging her Russian roots, her mother-in-law's Israeli feasts, British celebrity chef John Torode and cookbook author Claudia Roden.
There's a touch of Yotam Ottolenghi in the book's images - vegetables that look lush and savoury on the plate. Props to the styling team, who make even beef-stuffed artichokes look handsome.'
The Washington Post

Emma Spitzer's style of cooking is unfussy and uncomplicated, extracting the maximum flavour from the humblest of ingredients without spending hours in the kitchen. For Fress, her melting pot of inspiration embraces Poland and Russia, Jewish recipes learned from her mother, travels in Israel, Egypt, Jordan and North Africa, as well as Algerian recipes shared by her mother-in-law. Big on flavour and spice, Fress is full of happy, sociable food to feed the soul.

modify to add a link to the 12 Deals of Christmas so you can look if you fancy it. You can click a subject along the side, hone and garden, food etc.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c2_x_c2cl?node=8517542031&search-alias=digital-text&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=P0C5X420D3GW634HF0EG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=9edccdab-901f-41e0-8ded-2b80491d7154&pf_rd_i=3017941031

Also thank you MumofStig for liking some posts, I was wondering was I posting away to myself and no one was looking.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 13:06 by WeavingGryphon »

Mr Dog

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 21:47 »
<snip>
Also thank you MumofStig for liking some posts, I was wondering was I posting away to myself and no one was looking.

They are definitely looking......and costing them money, thank you  ;)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 23:45 »
PRIME: The Beef Cookbook by Richard H. Turner for 99p

I have this one, one of the recipes stipulates cook more onions, people never have enough onions, slather it in onions. The Husband loved the Burmese curry recipe and it gave his steak a flavour boost as I aimed and managed to get a crust rather than aiming for pink in the middle. But I suppose me actually trying to cook a steak also helped.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRIME-Cookbook-Richard-H-Turner-ebook/dp/B01JM9PRSO/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=prime+beef&qid=1577749170&s=digital-text&smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&sr=1-1

Following the bestselling Hog comes Prime. This fantastic book is an ode to all things beef from the ultimate authority in meat cookery.

Beef is the star of many people's all-time favourite meals - from steak or a cheeseburger to roast beef with all the trimmings. In Prime, beef expert Richard H. Turner will impart his recipes for these timeless classics, as well as sharing new ways in which to enjoy this fantastic ingredient in all it's forms. Covering every cut, every style of preparation and with recipes from the world over - not to mention features on bovine breeds, butchering, buying your meat and more, Prime is everything you'd want in a beef cookbook.

Some of the mouth-watering recipes include:
- Burmese beef curry
- New York veal parmigiana
- Salt beef
- Smoked brisket
- Bone marrow dumplings
- Chilean empanadas
- Carbonnade flamande... plus many, many more!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 00:14 »
Today's Big Deal: 6 Nonfiction Kindle Books on sale

How to Eat Better: How to Shop, Store & Cook to Make Any Food a Superfood 99p
James Wong's excellent book down to 99p. Compiles a lot of research to tell what you to do to keep things better-cook broccoli with mustard so the nutrients aren't lost during cooking. What varieties contains more nutrients etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M22FPMO/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c2_x_1_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=23Z0Q16C2560X9CQAPX7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1d81f617-acd6-43b8-b6ed-95e9c9286b4e&pf_rd_i=5400977031

James Wong brings some welcome sanity to the world of healthy eating...its genius is his advice on how to get more nutrition from fruit and veg. It's fascinating, and better than cutting out food groups or paying for so-called superfoods' - delicious. magazine

SELECT a Braeburn apple over a Fuji and get almost double the antioxidants from a fruit that tastes just as sweet.

STORE strawberries on the counter, instead of in the fridge, and in just four days they will quadruple their heart-healthy compounds.

COOK broccoli with a teaspoon of mustard and send its levels of cancer-fighting potential skyrocketing ten-fold.

Between the rush to keep up with the latest miracle ingredient, anxiety about E-numbers and demonization of gluten/dairy/sugar (or the next foodie villain du jour) many of us are left in a virtual panic in the supermarket aisle. Tabloid headlines, 'free-from' labels and judgemental Instagram hashtags hardly help matters - so what should we be buying?

How to Eat Better strips away the fad diets, superfood fixations and Instagram hashtags to give you a straight-talking scientist's guide to making everyday foods far healthier (and tastier) simply by changing the way you select, store and cook them. No diets, no obscure ingredients, no damn spiralizer, just real food made better, based on the latest scientific evidence from around the world. With over 80 foolproof recipes to put the theory into practice, James Wong shows you how to make any food a superfood, every time you cook.

Link to all, got one cooking/growing book and the other things are about business/compassion/Court One in the Old Bailey 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c2_x_c2cl?node=4725112031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=4SJBQYVKXK2GPBPZX539&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1d81f617-acd6-43b8-b6ed-95e9c9286b4e&pf_rd_i=5400977031

xx
RHS books

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2023, 12:14
by Goosegirl
xx
Books....

Started by sunnywillow on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2020, 19:17
by Growing Weather
xx
Quiz Books

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2020, 22:42
by jezza
xx
Read any good books lately ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2020, 21:36
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 54 queries.