How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?

• 5 Replies

johnfh

• Experienced Member
How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?
« on: April 12, 2011, 22:05 »
After having taken a good crop from these plants for a year I see they are still going strong and looking healthy.  With the new ones for 2011 just germinating do I take out last year's lot to make room?  How long does this ecellent plant continue to flourish and does it deterioarte with age?  Your experiences and advice welcome.
John

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 23:17 »
Ideally you'd keep picking the established ones for as long as you can but they are a biennual so will start running to seed sooner or later this year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 23:51 »
I agree they are a wonderful crop! Just harvested another pile but they ARE producing the thick centre stalks that are flowers.
I thought I'd leave them in and keep cutting to see what happens but I shall sow some more ready.

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:24 »
I agree they are a wonderful crop! Just harvested another pile but they ARE producing the thick centre stalks that are flowers.
I thought I'd leave them in and keep cutting to see what happens but I shall sow some more ready.

Mine are about 5 months old planted from seed and are producing the yellow flower now. It's my first time growing them and I planted too close together. I have eaten some baby leaves and they taste nothing like store bought spinach.... nice but not nutty.

Robster

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33 »
Mine from last year are still going strong and I have had two cuts this year.  I anticipate them coming out in a month or so to make way for brassica plants going in.  My sowing this year is in the cold frame and about 2 inches tall.  So I won't have too long without this useful crop.  So I reckon you can get at least 12 months harvest, but I have not pushed it to its maximum

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:45 »
Mine is still growing and cropping well from a later sowing last year.  Yesterday I planted two fresh rows of perpetual spinach, regular spinach and red (rhubarb) chard.

xx
'Perpetual' Spinach

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 22:25
by Jackypam
xx
Perpetual Spinach

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 09:12
by Kristen
xx
perpetual spinach

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 13:34
by Ice
xx
Perpetual spinach

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 18:29
by barbarella

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 40 queries.