Can it be too warm to plant out and leave for 24 hours?

• 6 Replies

jsgreen89

I now have a few seedlings that I intend to plant out, namely courgettes, lettuce and some leeks. If I get them planted and watered in tonight, is it ok to leave them till Sunday (I'll be away visting the folks for Saturday), or am I right in thinking that what with the warm weather I should be on hand to give everything a good watering quite regularly once things are planted in?

Thanks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Can it be too warm to plant out and leave for 24 hours?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 15:55 »
I'd leave planting till sunday.......they are ok once they have rooted deeply but for first few days they tend to sulk ::)

Babstreefern

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 15:56 »
Personally, I would leave them until Sunday and in the meantime, water them and then leave them in the shade outside
Babs

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 17:50 »
Have you hardened them off yet - i.e. spent a week or so putting them outside during the day and bringing them in at night?  If not, you'd be advised to do that before planting them outside.

I don't know whereabouts in the country you are (you can edit your profile so we can advise better), but next week it's due to turn cold again with northerly winds.

It might actually be a good idea if frost is a risk in your location, to leave planting out till the start of June.  Certainly here in N Yorks a frost is a risk until about the second week of June.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 17:54 »
My goodness. In the space of a few days we've gone from questions about it being too cold to questions about it being too warm.  :D

Sometimes, especially as I'm running out at midnight with fleece tunnels in my jammies, I think I must be crazy, but its a good crazy....right?   :wacko:

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 19:47 »
I don't think you need to worry about hardening them off as its pretty warm.  If you leave any seedlins in a greenhouse, they will die from the heat, and in these temperatures, you really need to have them watered everyday, hence leaving them in the shade outside.  There is no frost to worry about.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 07:05 »
You're right that it's very warm this weekend Babstreefern, but we have northerly winds forecast for next week - which in this part of the country will potentially bring frost and in any event will be a real shock to the plant if it's not been accustomed to the cooler temps. 

xx
how long can you leave sweetcorn on the plant?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 16:29
by RJR_38
angry
5 Hours

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 22:03
by Madame Cholet
xx
A lovely couple of hours...

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 07:41
by wozza
xx
a couple of hours on the plot today.

Started by fish on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 20:11
by fish

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 41 queries.