Blueberries

• 5 Replies

Terry

Blueberries
« on: May 21, 2010, 21:52 »
hi felling sad have a very good fruit cage with raspberries,gooseberries, blueberries and blackcurrants in there, the blueberries are loesing all there levees and fruit can you help,hope the photos work  Sorry Sorry I should have said its the blackcurrants we are having problems with .                                                                                                                                                   :(

(edited to fix the photos)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:01 by Yorkie »

Christine

Re: blueberry's
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 21:57 »
Blueberries like the same sort of soil as heather. I suspect that you didn't plant them in ericaeous compost like you are supposed to do. Or you took no steps to make sure that they had acid soil round their roots.  :(

I fear that you may have lost your blueberries. Next time you plant them make sure you dig in plenty of the same sort of compost that you would use for heathers.

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
Re: blueberry's
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 22:07 »
I have 2 plants in the front garden which I feed twice during the season and in the autumn and spring with a liquid ( I am now going spell this wrong) erricadious feed.  They do not seem to grow very big but do produce fruit, despite my children claiming there were not berries when asked to harveted them.  They seem to really need the acid conditions and I did plant initially with acid compost but that is 4 years ago so I think the feed helps keep them going.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

SG6

Re: Blueberries
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 22:59 »
The soil is wrong.
They need an acid soil and they also need to be wet/damp all the time.
Only answer I can think of it to get some large pots, fill with ericaceous compost, put the blueberries in and water with Rain water.

Tap water will have calcium in and will eventually kill them. Do not use tap water.

Best and simplest information I have ever read is: They like to be in an acid bog.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 23:00 »
Looks like the blackcurrants are a bit too dry and would shed their leaves to conserve moisture. They could be in a real hotspot area causing this so try deep watering with some sort of fertilizer in it and see what happens in a few weeks.

Terry

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 08:34 »
thanks for the help and advice sorry for the mistake and thank you yorkie for editing the photos.

xx
Blueberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 15:38
by sclarke624
xx
Blueberries!

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 08:04
by Wildeone
xx
Blueberries

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 01:23
by pepsi100
xx
Blueberries

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2017, 10:29
by Bing

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 38 queries.