Petrol strimmer advice

• 21 Replies

Benandbill

Petrol strimmer advice
« on: July 25, 2012, 23:17 »
I really need a strimmer too, but I want a petrol one.  Everyone tells me petrol's the way to go and having read:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=94045.0

the above, 2 hours charging for 20 - 25 minutes work sounds like a bit of a nuisance.  Alright maybe if you have a garden with grass, adjoining your house, but when you have to go to your allotment it would e a nuisance having to go home to 'charge up' again if you under estimated how much you need to do - don't you agree?  Tescos seems to e the cheapst - ut not necessarily the best as is a low CC...

Does anyone know how much CC is best ifor a pretty overgrown (waist high grass and weeds) allotment?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:59 by argyllie »

grendel

Re: Petrol strimmer advice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:45 »
I believe the one I have is a 28cc one and that does quite a good job, depends though if you want to cut back thicker stuff go for a bit more power and a brush cutting attachment.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:14 »
I bought a Ryobi 30cc factory return off e-bay for £60. It has a 12v battery for starting and came with 2 strimming heads. I have since bought the rotovator attachment which is great for getting a fine tilth, but you must rough dig first. I also have the chainsaw attachment which is good for small to medium branches. Both attachments were £30 each from e-bay .

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:43 »
Benandbill,
I've recommended the Budget brand "Mitox" numerous times in the past, so for you, I'll do the same again!
We sell this brand because we know that the spares back-up from the importer is very good.
The models range from the basic bent shaft model at about £119 up to a 36cc machine that wouldn't be out of place on a farm for around £239. The most popular machine is the 261L which is a straight shafted small brush cutter which you may fit a small blade to (for those more demanding long grasses). This model will cost £169. Next up is this 331L(slightly bigger cc) at £189. There are 9 models in the range at present. If you go on the mitox website, they will give you the address of your nearest stocking dealer.
If you wanted to spend a little more money for a more well-known brand, then you could look at Stihl equipment. You certainly won't buy any better, but quality does come at a cost. :)
I hope this helps, and sorry for not replying sooner, but I have been a little busy in the shop due to the wet/warm weather.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:56 »
hi i brought one of these a few weeks back, it works fantasic you can hold it half revs for the light stuff or on full for the heavy stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACTECMAX-PETROL-GRASS-BRUSH-CUTTER-STRIMMER-TRIMMER-43CC-/400262223386?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item5d317cd61a
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Benandbill

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 13:35 »
Thanks everyone this is all very helpful stuff, what sort of prihces do you think I should expect to pay for quality?

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 14:55 »
Subjective thing quality.
One mans meat, and all that.
You won't get much worth room in your shed under £100. As mentioned in my post above, have a look at Mitox, you'll get something that you can do two jobs with for around £169.
It's difficult to recommend too much on the Internet when not dealing face to face with someone. I certainly wouldn't buy anything petrol from Tesco or one of the large multiple DIY stores. I'd want to deal face to face with someone who will have a reasonable understanding of how the product works, and what to do when it doesn't. I'd also want to buy the thing in a ready-to-use condition rather than having to assemble it myself from a bad translation from the original Chinese.

"You pays yer money, yer makes yer choice"
Incidentally, try for something with a minimum of 25cc's

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:01 »
Well Dantheman, I plumped for the one you sent me the link to, looked like to good value to turn down.  It arrived on Tuesday and on opening the boxes I thought omg what have I done, it's in about a zillion pieces...  I'm going to have to find someone to give me a hand putting it together as the instructions aren't that great, but that's step one sorted anyway and I reckon it will be worth it in the end.  Did it take you long to assemble yours?  :unsure:

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 08:36 »
hi ya,

It took me about 5 minutes to work out what went where then about 10-15 minutes to put together so no not long.

since using it a few times up on my plot quite a few of the other new plot holders have approched me to ask if i would do strim their plot too so the way i see it, within a year it should of paid for it's self which is even more value for money.

Good luck with yours make sure you wear the right protective equipment and clothes when using it, i found that getting a pair of overals to wear when using it helps the washing machine out a little.  ;)

Have fun.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 08:39 »
just check out the link again the price has shot right up and they are being sold from the uk, did you get yours from the neitherlands? at the original price that was on the link?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 09:37 »
just check out the link again the price has shot right up and they are being sold from the uk, did you get yours from the neitherlands? at the original price that was on the link?

The link says 179.00 GBP sold from UK, the item has probably been restocked and relisted since you posted the link, so it will not show the old details.

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41 »
I've recommended the Budget brand "Mitox" numerous times in the past, so for you, I'll do the same again!
We sell this brand because we know that the spares back-up from the importer is very good.
The models range from the basic bent shaft model at about £119 up to a 36cc machine that wouldn't be out of place on a farm for around £239. The most popular machine is the 261L which is a straight shafted small brush cutter which you may fit a small blade to (for those more demanding long grasses). This model will cost £169.

You won't get much worth room in your shed under £100. As mentioned in my post above, have a look at Mitox, you'll get something that you can do two jobs with for around £169.

Gwiz, I've just located our local Mitox dealer's website and they stock the 260L rather than 261L.  Is this one OK?  Do you know what the difference is?

The only attachment listed on their website is a hedgetrimmer - would they be able to get the blade?

Thinking of tackling a very very overgrown allotment (not mine!) at the site ... brambles as well as tall couch grass  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gwiz

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 09:49 »
There isn't much difference at all. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it. :)
They should come with a blade when you buy it, and you are quite right, you can get a hedge trimmer attachment for it (should you feel the urge).

Benandbill

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 10:50 »
Yes, I got mine for £79 and noticed it went right by £100 the very next morning after I ordered it...  That's encouraging Dantheman that you managed to assemble yours without too much hassle.  Perhaps when I unwrap it all completely then it won't seem so daunting..  I've never even used one before, let alone put one together, looks like it needs a lot of maintenance as well keeping filters and coolers etc clean!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 13:40 »
Ta, Gwiz

One for discussion in the committee, I think.  :D

xx
petrol strimmer advice please!

Started by Sheena on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 21:05
by GafferGamgee
xx
Help/advice needed regarding petrol strimmer

Started by shamanik on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 15:11
by arugula
xx
petrol strimmer

Started by flitwickone on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 09:38
by Flatcat
xx
Petrol strimmer

Started by The Golden Heap on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 21:16
by bravemurphy

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.