Hello from Peterborough

• 4 Replies

theIrvy

Hello from Peterborough
« on: July 30, 2019, 00:50 »
Hello there, N Irish guy living in the flattest bit of the UK. 

I just took over an allotment plot last week, there's a few things growing on it, but most of it is overgrown and a bit neglected.  My plan is to grow our own veg for home, pickling/freezing/drying/preserving it all and increasing the quality of our food from the usual supermarket varieties. 

I cleared a small patch and threw in a few drills of mixed beetroot and some spring onion, I'm hoping i can squeeze enough time in to at least have a big jar of pickled baby beetroots on the Christmas dinner table.

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Hello from Peterborough
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 08:35 »
Hello and welcome. Bet you can’t wait to really get growing next year.

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 09:35 »
Hello and a warm welcome to the forum hope all goes well for next. remember year just a bit at a time  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 11:27 »
Hi and welcome  :)

theIrvy

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 02:00 »
Thanks for all the welcomes :)

Yes, I've managed to console myself with a few late ones, some Spring onions and mixed beetroot, if I can manage to have some Christmas pickles of whatever size, I'll be happy enough this year.

I have an existing shed, which I'm inheriting.  Unfortunately it's last occupants were chickens, so there's a nice job waiting.  I'm working on plans to recycle some plastic bottles and add an awning to the shed, giving me sort of a greenhouse.

I also want to make a clay coil pot style rocket stove for boiling water (well I'm not doing this without coffee!).  I've worked with clay before, and since the Peterborough area is famous for it's clay, I'm going to forage for some and process it for use.

So I should be busy enough until next year swings round :)

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.