Using compost that has ants in??

• 5 Replies

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
Using compost that has ants in??
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:11 »
Right, this morning Im up early and getting on with a few jobs including turning my compost bins in the garden. I have 2 plastic ones and my method is simply to move the whole heap to the side 3ft but I dig and loosen the soil its going to sit in first.

So Ive done that and moved the bin and have a nice pile about 3 foot high in bin 1 though the bottom 18inches as you can see in this pic

is nice and fine compost and looks ready to use, the upper 18 inches are already transferred to the bin again.

The thing is as you can see, the ready to use compost is full of ants which have broken it down nicely, heap 2 which is much smaller

has also got the same issue.

So, I don't mind the ants as some reading seems to indicate they are aerating the compost nicely but I don't like the idea of using the compost as is with ants in it so what do I do?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Using compost that has ants in??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:19 »
Ants hate being disturbed and will probably already be frantically rushing around trying to find a new home (if not, disturb them a bit more until they do - they don't like water either although you might not want to soak your compost if you are about to use it.)

If you knock the pile down then leave it while you go for a cuppa and a nice bacon sarnie the birds will no doubt enjoy dealing with any ant eggs they can find.

(Anyone feeling sorry for ants yet? I am!)  :wub:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:29 »
heh heh, I could let the chickens loose on them I guess but then ill be scraping compost up for days  ???

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:32 »
Yesterday - I emptied out a lot of tubs from last year onto the flower beds and there were a lot of ants - I went to make a brew and when I looked back from the kitchen god knows how many birds were busy at the soil  ;)
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50 »
Ants apparently harvest aphids, so another helpful point about the busy ants  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:55 »
helpful..................I don't think so!
they don't harvest ants, as in get rid of them............they milk them (like we do a cow) that's why they encourage aphids and even protect them when they can  >:(
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4889451

xx
Ants in Compost

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2014, 15:28
by devonbarmygardener
xx
ants in my compost bin

Started by davef on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 18:23
by Yorkie
xx
ants in compost bin

Started by auntyfifi on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 13:39
by compostqueen
xx
Ants in my compost

Started by stu_wat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 11:30
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 39 queries.