Newbie getting nervous!

• 8 Replies

19mart71

• Husband, father, dog walker, chicken feeder etc
    • Blipfoto
Newbie getting nervous!
« on: May 10, 2012, 21:08 »
Hi all,

I have been 'lurking' for a few weeks now, thank you for all the advice and information so many of you are willing to share.

I have ordered a coop and run which should arrive next week.  I have started to erect some othe weldmesh fences in my garden to allow the hens to access other areas of the garden.

I have visited a couple of local suppliers and looked at their hens and purchased food, feeders, anti mite stuff etc.

I am now getting very excited, and nervous about it all.

I have 2 labradors and a cat.  The cat is used to seeing the chickens next door and gives them a wild berth.  My older lab' will be fine, she is livestock proof, but my younger lab (only just 1 yr old) will want to play with them.  

Has anyone got any advice about introducing hens to young excitable (but very soft and sloppy) dogs?

with thanks

Martin

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Newbie getting nervous!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 21:11 »
keep your dogs on a lead until you are sure. It is natural for them to chase the hens even if just to play but in doing so they can kill the birds  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 21:50 »
I have 3 dogs (Dalmatian, Chinese crested and a malamute puppy)the older 2 are fine around the chickens although i would never trust leaving them alone but our 6 month old pup gets soo excited he has a long training lead so it gives him chance to sniff etc but i still have full control of him. when my dogs are relaxed and calm around the chickens i give them loads of praise and treats. My Dalmatian(Diva) tells our pup off if he gets too excited lol.to be honest though my 3 are more bothered about the chickens poop lol.  Like joyfull said a large dog like a lab could kill a chicken without even meaning too. Good luck give it time and im sure your dogs and chooks will live in perfect harmony with each other  :)

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:20 »
also - don't scold the pup as they get close to smell. watch the body language...you'll see the difference/change when they go from curious sniffing to play/stalk/attack mode....

as soon as the body language changes distract them by making a high pitched sound... i do the noise mum's make when kids are about to help themselves to something without asking. 3 short, high pitched noises and pup walks/runs towards me instead to check if i'm ok.

when they arrive by your side, lots of praise and maybe, just maybe a small piece of cheese :)

our boys will be 4 this year. shehra ignores them, veer sometimes forgets and tries to grab them and mahi is still learning but she's only 6 months old!
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Blobbs

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:48 »
It is in a Labrador's nature to retrieve but a quiet but firm instruction to" leave it"  while she is checking the scent should train her to look not touch.
I work Labs and Spaniels on pheasant shoots which means that they are trained to leave birds that are ok but retrieve dead or wounded ones. She will be fine if you are just calm and firm.
That said I have hens coming soon and I think that the Jack Russel might be a bit of a handful. She's only 7 months but is a real rat killer!!

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:01 »
I've had the most horrendous 6 weeks with one of my two Jack Russell cross terriers, (both bitches)....dashing out to the pen, barking, snapping etc and generally challenging the girls, (who dont give a monkeys about the dog whatsoever!!)...but then a break through last Friday..this probably wont work for every dog, but mine hates football whistles....I acquired one and on the first occasion of confrontation, i blew the whistle, her tale went down and she sloped off away from the chickens....i've probably only had to blow it 5 or 6 times in the space of a week, and the dog is now calmly going out to the pen, or doesnt even bother....i know i've still a fair way to go, but i am now able to take the dog outside on a lead whilst the girls are free ranging around her, and she is fine.  I have the whistle in my pocket if needed, and hoping that with patience and effort, i will eventually get the peace and harmony between feathered and four-legged friends.
Another tool could be the empty plastic bottle shaken with a few old coppers in.
And of course i reward with treats when all has gone well.....Good luck!!

Blobbs

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:17 »
Oh lord that doesn't bode well. Maude is already a little beggar for anything that moves. Terriers are soo different from the gundogs. Much more strong willed and less willing to please. But she is a real charater and we love her to bits.
Shopping today so have added footie whistle to list! Thanks for the tips.

PaulineM

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 15:50 »
Hi

We have 2 Jack Russells and when we first got our girls they were bouncing of the wire to try to get at them.  We kept them on a lead and when it was time to let the girls free range we sat out with them all and scolded the dogs if they became too interested (hunt mode).
They now all live happily together, in fact the dogs are scared of the chickens but I still wouldn't leave them alone together.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 16:18 »
We have a garden sprayer set to jet on stand-by, rarely need it, but Bella (labX) gets a little over-excited and when the play-bowing starts you have to watch that her attitude stays playful. The more exposed she is to the chooks the calmer she is, it's just the poo....the lab in her loves it! As does Bonnie-lab. :ohmy: I'm hoping they will soon get over it, and a squirt will stop them, without them knowing where it came from. The chooks follow the dog about in the hope that this will get them into the house! :D

Bums and under wings smell interesting apparently! :lol:

xx
nervous new bantam

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 18:55
by Foxy
xx
Nervous Nellies

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 13:19
by oddpaws
xx

Started by l.bailey on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 14:56
by l.bailey
xx

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 11:27
by chickadee

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 36 queries.