Tomato gamble

• 14 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Tomato gamble
« on: March 25, 2019, 20:20 »
Once again in my fever to get the new gardening year under way, I sowed my tomato seeds in the propagator far too early in the last week of February. I transferred them to small pots 10 days ago but they are now out-growing my large heated propagator so some time in the next ten days I'll need to transfer them into large pots in my unheated greenhouse
I've got away with this for the past four years, will it be fifth time unlucky?
Anyone else in same boat?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato gamble
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 20:59 »
Risk takers obviously need luck on their side - I sometimes struggle even without taking risks!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:45 »
My tomato seedlings are only just through in my unheated polytunnel down here in France but I hope they will be ready to go out mid May but as it was cold last night I brought them into the house. I hope you get away with it but if a really hard frost is forecast I would move them all indoors for the night or you will lose the lot which would be a shame for ten minute work.

Didiaskew

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:49 »
I’m the same I started what most people would say was way too early but I’ve had tomatoes in my unheated polytunnel in North Yorkshire for a month now and they’re fine also got some Charlotte new potatoes in there that will ready in a couple of weeks.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 14:50 »
I've just sown some today and put the pot into my mini-greenhouse with its zipped cover which stands inside the main GH.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 15:44 »
Goosey, you're far too sensible and risk-averse  :D I sowed mine a month ago

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 16:08 »
im in a similar situation although I only did about half that I need and have done a second sowing which are coming along now too.

I think we are in for some really cold nights this week, so im thinking it may be too cold overnight in the greenhouse, so I am now putting them in the greenhouse during the day to give them maximum sunlight and bringing them in at night.

I will have to bite the bullet I think next week when I am back at work.
i suppose i have the 2nd lot to fall back on if they fail.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 16:13 »
Started mine similar time but one big difference, they are sat inside in a nice and cozy grow tent  ;)

Best thing I have ever bought for this time of the year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 19:09 »
Sowed mine 20th February in heated propagator. Pricked them out a couple of weeks ago into modules (40 hole trays) in a greenhouse with just a bit of heat to keep a frost off. They are now into proper leaves above cotyledons and I'll pot them on in a couple of weeks. Naturally I pricked out way more than I can ever grow - I hate to throw growing seedlings away. Mind you - you should see my shed! I never seem to throw anything away. Anybody want any tomato seedlings (you to collect)?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 19:34 »
Started mine similar time but one big difference, they are sat inside in a nice and cozy grow tent  ;)

Tell us more, Aidy. Sounds interesting.

... Naturally I pricked out way more than I can ever grow - I hate to throw growing seedlings away. Mind you - you should see my shed! I never seem to throw anything away. Anybody want any tomato seedlings (you to collect)?
It just feels wrong to throw them away once you've got them growing, doesn't it?

After last year's cold snap I've sown later this year - it's amazing how things catch up anyway.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 13:14 »

Tell us more, Aidy. Sounds interesting.

I bought mine a few years back to start my chillies early (Nov) and 300 watt LED grow light (according to the smart meter 0.02p per hour to run) so by feb I also have the tommys in. Mr PC Plod hasn't come knocking yet however a Chief Constable that I know popped in and noticed a purple hue coming from a room  :lol: and made an enquirey as to what was causing it,  :blush:
If you want to start your plants early and have the room then these are def somethng to look into, they get 12 hours of light per day and temps around 20c so grow on perfectly until its time to put them in the greenhouse.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 13:15 by Aidy »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 13:39 »
I used to be a bit anti grow lights but having calculated running costs, much more in favour. I've got them on my vitopodon. They're actually fluorescents but the heat from the lights just means the propagator heat is off.
The extra light really helps the plants and costs I estimate 5p a day.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 13:44 »
 over ears "la-la-la!"
Goosey, you're far too sensible and risk-averse  :D I sowed mine a month ago
Hands over ears and la-la-la-ing!!!  :lol:

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 08:12 »
Alanincarlisle, how are your toms?

im wondering if the gamble paid off as I may take the plunge in a few days time :ohmy:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 11:27 »
Alanincarlisle, how are your toms?

im wondering if the gamble paid off as I may take the plunge in a few days time :ohmy:
So far so good. Might have to coddle them a little next week as a slight frost is forecast

xx
Sweetcorn gamble....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 21:52
by RJR_38
xx
rich tomato, poor tomato

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:03
by mumofstig
xx
Tomato help please..

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 22:58
by gobs
xx
Tomato - What is this

Started by WelshBoa on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 14:43
by Nadlen

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 54 queries.