Raspberry

• 4 Replies

geoffwales

Raspberry
« on: February 25, 2016, 22:14 »
Hi all I'm new to allotments. I only got mine one week ago.

I'm after a bit of advice, ID like to grow raspberry but not sure which variety. I'm looking for one that would grow tall rather than wide. I'm going to put it in 1 x 1mtr pallet collar raised bed with Strawberry's.

Any advice please

BabbyAnn

Re: Raspberry
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:51 »
Raspberries are canes rather than bush so height is irrelevant (about 3-4 feet tall average) - they spread by root.  Personally I would not plant both raspberry and strawberries in the same bed as strawberries also spread via runners.  For a 1 metre square bed I think you would definitely be better off with either one or the other - and you'll need more than one cane to get a decent harvest.  I can't really help with varieties sorry - first time growing autumn ones for me this year, and summer ones in the past have been nameless (cheap ones from Wilkos or something) and again this year have got different ones (early and mid) to hopefully spread the season so not sure.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:21 by BabbyAnn »

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:15 »
Raspberries are fairly shallow rooted so in a raised bed you will need to keep them well watered come fruiting time.

As Babby said I wouldn't be tempted to grow them in a bed with strawberries. Raspberries are quite robust/thuggish and will overshadow the strawberries to their detriment You might get away with it for a season while the raspberries establish themselves but I wouldn't consider it long term.

As for varieties, you need to decide if you want Summer or Autumn cropping. Summer cropping (in my experience) does not produce such a large crop. The pruning regimes are very different so read up on that or ask again here.

I have been growing 'Glen Ample' as a summer crop but am going to get rid of them as I don't feel they pay off their space. I don't have them netted and find the birds take the Summer ones but don't bother with the Autumn ones, I guess there is other stuff around that they prefer in the Autumn. My Autumn raspberries are 'Heritage'. 'Autumn Bliss' seem to be the most popular.

I also have some yellow ones in some tubs just for fun, the fruits are quite big and tasty, I think they are 'All Gold'.

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49 »
I grow strawberries and autumn fruited raspberries in the same bed (admittedly its 7mx2m) but I grow the strawberries along the long sunny edge of the bed and two rows of autumn fruited raspberries (Polka) off-set from the middle of the bed to give them room.

Last year I got enough raspberries to feed us every other day for two months and to fill most of the freezer and a reasonable crop of strawberries.

The raspberries are into their 3rd year and I'm guessing I'm going to have to cut off roots coming forward in the bed.

It all depends how much space you've got.

geoffwales

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 13:51 »
Hi thank you all for the advice. I have a plan now, much appreciated.

Geoff

xx
raspberry

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 06:48
by m1ckz
clip
RASPBERRY

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2023, 09:11
by mumofstig
xx
More raspberry help!

Started by greenasgrass on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 20:51
by greenasgrass
clip
Get rid of Raspberry bed ... please !

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 27, 2018, 09:07
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.