Moving tomatoe plant

• 9 Replies

cc

• Experienced Member
Moving tomatoe plant
« on: September 18, 2019, 14:19 »
I literally dug up a tomato plant and moved it into a raised bed in a garden room. Ordinary roof. Warm and tons of sun as it is at the top of a hill. I moved it because I doubt if the Tom's will ripen. It's a yellow stuffer. Did it about 3 days ago. Leafs are curling, top Toms feel like they are rotting, rest feel alright. I fancied digging up another one which won't ripen on time
 Anyone else done this and was it successful?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Moving tomatoe plant
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 15:50 »
I suspect you will lose more from the disturbance of digging it up and replanting than you will gain from having it in a warmer place.

As long as the tomatoes have reached more or less their normal full size and aren't still hard and green, they should ripen perfectly well off the plant in a warm spot indoors.
They will ripen quicker in a container (e.g. plastic supermarket meat tray) if stored in layers (the ethylene they produce helps ripening) but if some are already going soft you will need to keep a close eye on them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 18:51 »
I suspect you will lose more from the disturbance of digging it up and replanting than you will gain from having it in a warmer place.

As long as the tomatoes have reached more or less their normal full size and aren't still hard and green, they should ripen perfectly well off the plant in a warm spot indoors.
They will ripen quicker in a container (e.g. plastic supermarket meat tray) if stored in layers (the ethylene they produce helps ripening) but if some are already going soft you will need to keep a close eye on them.
I am afraid the are not at full size and they are hard and green.
Oh well worth a try

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 06:43 »
To be honest, having seen how quickly tomatoes wilt just though a missed watering, I'd avoid moving any more as the plants arent really hardy enough to withstand it.

If you haven't done so aleady, remove some of the leaves to allow the sun to get to them, any stem leaves lower than the lowest truss and pinch the tops out to concentrate the plants energy on those fruits. Dont completely strip the plant of all its leaves, just remove enough to let air circulate freely and allow the sun to hit them.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 09:49 »
Sliced green tomatoes, fried with a sprinkle of salt and sugar are delicious with a cooked breakfast.

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 19:22 »
Sliced green tomatoes, fried with a sprinkle of salt and sugar are delicious with a cooked breakfast.
At pub getting rat ar*** sounds like red to remember that

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 10:44 »
Alas not a good idea for these tomatoes.  They are yellow stuffer not much inside them. Have Tom's which will not all harvest before winter will try them. Thanks

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 10:48 »
On the other hand the yellow stuffer is looking a little better may make it after all. Weather station in "garden room " says yesterday (miserable day) was minimum 10 degrees  centigrade with maximum of 35! I have yet to insulate the roof.

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 12:30 »
Well would you believe it??
IMG_20190930_122912_5.jpg

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 13:27 »
Got full harvest in the end and even some new tomatoes appearing. Plant itself looks dire.

xx
Moving tomatoe seedlings to polytunnel

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 16:51
by gavinjconway
xx
Moving a rhubarb plant.

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 11:30
by Yorkie
xx
Moving a rhubarb plant

Started by ian.ford on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 04:14
by paintedlady
xx
Help Please with Tomatoe Problem

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 22:51
by peterjf

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 49 queries.