Hunched and lethargic

• 36 Replies

mick.c

Hunched and lethargic
« on: December 30, 2007, 12:16 »
We have four chickens of different breeds , one of our brown birds (either a warren or Loman trad) has gone very quiet and lethargic , she is not scratching around the run but is standing alone ,very still and hunched up . It appears as if her feathers are puffed up , she is often closing her eyes showing no interest at all she is showing no signs of illness her comb does appear paler than normal, this has come on over night, the other 3 birds are acting normally. Any ideas?

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:20 »
Do you know if the bird concerned has laid recently Mick?

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:49 »
I asked as it sounds like she is egg bound to me by what you have described. You can feel and look to see if she is egg bound as it would be noticeable. Be careful as breaking the egg could scare her enough to cause her severe stress.
Is she walking funny or if shes not walking at all has she got her tail pointing downwards? that is a sign of being egg bound. Is she young as new layers are more likely to become egg bound.
If you check her and you know she is egg bound, move her away from the other hens some where she is warm to relax her muscles and give her some water with dissolved sugar in it.
Get back to me as soon as you can and i will do my best to help you.

Jonny

mick.c

Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 13:20 »
It's hard to tell if she has layed lately , we know the Bueno nero is laying but it could be any of the other 3 . Yes she is standing awkwardly , I will get the wife to examine her as she has a gentler touch than me , thanks for the info will keep you posted.

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 13:27 »
Thanks, let me know as soon as you can and i will give you some more information should you need it

Jonny

mick.c

Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 16:55 »
The wife examined her but she does not appear to be egg bound , however she is still showing all the signs , so we have seperated her given her some sugar water ,the only difference between her and the others is she has not pooped all afternoon. Will check in the morning as they are prolific poopers at night and let you know what is happening thanks again.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 17:03 »
How old is she Mick?  I hate to say this, but often when one of ours stands like that, a few days later they are gone.  Seems like for no apparent reason at times, but have you tried her with some apple cider vinegar in her water?  Is she still drinking?  or perhaps some cod liver oil in a drop of water.

mick.c

Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 17:15 »
We are not sure on her age as she was a gift but she appears quite mature will give the cider vinegar a go tomorrow and take it from there thanks.

mercury

Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 17:37 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
How old is she Mick?  I hate to say this, but often when one of ours stands like that, a few days later they are gone.  Seems like for no apparent reason at times, but have you tried her with some apple cider vinegar in her water?  Is she still drinking?  or perhaps some cod liver oil in a drop of water.

That's what i was thinking as i was reading the posts grannieannie, check her back end, to see if there's any sign of white diarrhea

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 18:35 »
has she had any stress or shock recently. my cockerel spent a few days shy in a corner with his head down after a fox attack, just an idea.

Selkie

Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 18:44 »
I don't know that much about hen illnesses etc but could it just be that she's constipated or has some kind of blockage? (not eggbound as your wife has checked for that)

Bodger

Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 19:05 »
Not very helpful I know, but there's a hundred and one reasons that could be responsible for the symptoms that you describe. With a bit of luck your chicken could be as right as rain tomorrow. We all have off days. :lol:

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 20:24 »
Egg bound is the only thing i can fit with the symtoms.
Even with you saying about her not pooping much as it can build up behind the egg which is blocked.
Just wait a day or two and see how she goes im almost certain shes egg bound , post on here tomorrow and let everyone know how shes getting on.
Jonny

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 20:30 »
If she's egg bound you should be able to feel the egg in her abdomen.  Lubricating the vent and putting her in a warm place (some people recommend putting the hen over hot water to warm the vent with steamy air) could help.

You might consider egg peritonitis if she is an older girl, in which case her abdomen will be swollen too.  This condition would require antibiotics to treat, but it often reoccurs.

mick.c

Hunched and lethargic
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 20:26 »
Thanks all for the help, she is much the same as yesterday eating and drinking a little. Have kept her isolated today will see what she is like in the morning and will try a few more of the tips you gave us , at least she doesn't seem any more lethargic ,will keep you posted .

xx
Hunched up hen?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 20:16
by lucylou
xx
Hunched ill hen

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2019, 18:03
by sunshineband
xx
hunched up, mucky rear

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 22:37
by joyfull
xx
Mucky bottom, waddling and hunched up.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 13:30
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 39 queries.