Poor spud yield

• 12 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Poor spud yield
« on: July 12, 2009, 15:39 »
Bit diappointed with our Duke of Yorks  :(

Dug first lot today and only got about 12 potatoes from 3 plants....what have we done wrong...any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 16:39 by DD. »
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Poor spud yeild
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 16:13 »
How long had they been in, and have you watered them at all - is it quite a dry spot?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SG6

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 16:18 »
Cannot help with this years but I had the same last year.
Poor crop from all 3 varieties I put in. :( :( :(
They all grew a lot of greenery and very little potatoes.

I have given up with putting them in the ground as I find that planting 3 potatoes in a large pot has given me better yields. ;) ;) ;) Recently saw a very large tub in Wilkinsons that I am planning to try next year - bigger and cheaper.

This year I planted up 4 large pots and have been pulling potatoes up for the last couple of weeks. May try and get some potatoes to plant for a Christmas crop in one of the pots.

The used compost gets tipped on to whichever patch of ground looks most in need after they are finished.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 16:21 »
Mine were the red duke of york, and i wasn't impressed either. Got better yields from charlotte  and vivaldi (2nds)

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 16:34 »
I got a great yield from using Charlotte - incredible!  Others' on our plot site also seem to have done well with Charlotte - not sure what is different about them over other varieties, but the weather in York has been almost perfect for spuds this year.   :wub:
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 16:38 »
Charlottes seem to be an all round favourite, they've never let me down.

18 spuds on the root dug for today's dinner, have had more in the past, but only just started on them.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

Re: Poor spud yield
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 17:11 »
I've had a good crop from my Lady Christl and they were so tasty and slightly sweet. I have watered all my veg well this year as my OH has given me stick for not doing enough before. I have raised beds and it's surprising how much they dry out in a day. Until now, I have planted my pots quite deep but this year they were planted more shallowly as I have reclaimed farmland and the soil is silty and tends to water log so I get rot and slug damage. I earthed up as usual but didn't have to dig so deep for the tubers. Also, there was no slug damage. Other pots to come are Sharpe's Express and Golden Wonder later on. See if the slugs go for them later. Sprayed for blight in advance - can't do anymore except pray! :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

greg.t

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 19:58 »
Charlottes seem to be an all round favourite, they've never let me down.

18 spuds on the root dug for today's dinner, have had more in the past, but only just started on them.

Charlottes are great spuds but this year l tryed some nicola and some amarosa and some vivaldi they've all done great with nicola giving the biggest yield.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 20:03 »
Vivaldi did not do great for me this year, but I was panicking for my maincrop (KE) when I saw some dodgy foliage and just pulled the vivaldi.  They tasted great and we had two meals from them (from 5 seed pots) so will put that down to my inexperience and will grow again next year
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

jjbull

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 21:57 »
my rocket and vales emerald didnt do great so far decent size but not many but my vivaldi are brilliant managed to get 1.6kg from 1 seed potato

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 21:57 »
I have been very impressed with my Lady Crystal which were a mistake on the part of the company by sending the wrong ones but I'm sooo glad they did!

I'm getting jacket tatie sized tubers from them now as they should have all been dug up long before now!

Can't really comment on why yours aren't performing well but as Yorkie said there could be any reason as to why they haven't done as well as others...  :mellow:

JulieP

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 12:32 »
I am very very disapointed, I have put Harmony in, hardly any leaf, very small potatoes, have dug half of them up now and planted winter veg instead.

Will buy something different next year.
I Love My Lottie, My own little hideaway and Gym:)

sclarke624

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 00:04 »
Mine were the red duke of york, and i wasn't impressed either. Got better yields from charlotte  and vivaldi (2nds)

I will second that, I am just going to do charlottes next year, as they never let me down (so far).  Well thats the plan but I may weaken by the time next March comes.  This was the first time I planted DOY's
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Spud Yield

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 09:38
by aelf
xx
Yield per spud plant?

Started by LJB12 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 09:04
by richy
xx
Is this an ok spud yield from my 1st attempt?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 09:15
by Stratts
xx
Poor potato yield

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 10:28
by 1st time veg grower

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 41 queries.