Shall I, shan’t I, what to do

• 6 Replies

Jim Smith

Shall I, shan’t I, what to do
« on: November 20, 2020, 00:26 »
Hi all, I have a predicament in that I so want an allotment BUT I go to USA every year for 6 weeks start of September. Is it worth my while, I accept I can probably get the kids to weed but how many crops would I be leaving to ruin and how many would I miss out on planting. My kids are not gardeners at all but will help with weeding. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Shall I, shan’t I, what to do
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 08:41 »
Hello, and welcome to the forum :)
I still think it would be worthwhile, as long as you really could get some weeding organised while you're away, or grow crops through weed control fabric, so the weeds don't get out of control.
Obviously you would need to choose your crops carefully, but I think with careful choice of crop/varieties you should still get decent harvests outside of the weeks you're away.
Sowing harvest chart is a helpful start IMO  https://www.allotment-garden.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Vegetable-Sowing-Harvest-Chart.pdf

Ask about particular veg you'd like variety suggestions for in another post, and we'll try to help ;)

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 09:21 »
Mumofstig is right.  Careful planning is the answer along with child labour for the weeding.

Ferreter8

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:29 »
Hi yes definitely go for it it has more pros than cons 👍.
Lesley

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 13:54 »
I think you’d be fine leaving it for six weeks then. Winter veg would be well established and a good mulch around them should control weeds. Things like squash suppress weeds if left to there own devices and could be harvested on return. Onions and garlic would already be harvested.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 11:44 »
You’ll never know if f you don’t try  :D. By September it’s mainly clearing spent crops & harvesting if you’ve kept up with the weeding through the year. Planning will be essential & getting crops in early enough so you’ve harvested most before you go. Plus when your children realise how wonderful Home grow produce is I’m sure they will be able to harvest more. I assume they are not terribly young children to enable you to go to America & leave them so hopefully old enough to access the allotment? Plus there are ways of minimising weeding  :closedeyes:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Ema

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 12:08 »
Septs a good time to go as there will be some rain so the plants will be fine. I wouldn’t worry about any weeds, just make sure someone picks the runner beans

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 47 queries.