Buying in manure

• 10 Replies

RichardA

Buying in manure
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:16 »
Whilst I have more than enough garden compost for my outside plots from a year's worth of ducks straw bedding and usual garden cuttings and household material I want to revitalise my greenhouses and my poly tunnel beds. I also need some finer material for top dressing flower beds and lawns, strawberry patches etc. Looking locally for an easy to handle and easy to incorporate, ready to spread manure I came across Mr Muck's organic manure at Doncaster. Has anyone tried this and if so has anyone got an opinion on its worth please.
Many thanks
R

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: Buying in manure
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:35 »
i guess any manure is good but if you can get it free then that's even better. Spread it and leave over winter and then in spring dig it all in and mix with soil. acts as a soil conditioner and adds nutrients

i think their manure is treated to kill off any diseases or weed seeds.

st0ne5ish

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:59 »
Whilst I have more than enough garden compost for my outside plots from a year's worth of ducks straw bedding and usual garden cuttings and household material I want to revitalise my greenhouses and my poly tunnel beds. I also need some finer material for top dressing flower beds and lawns, strawberry patches etc. Looking locally for an easy to handle and easy to incorporate, ready to spread manure I came across Mr Muck's organic manure at Doncaster. Has anyone tried this and if so has anyone got an opinion on its worth please.
Many thanks
R

I searched for the word manure on my local freecycle page and saw a lady advertising some. I phoned her up and she has a massive pile of manure which has been there for over a year and covered with thick black polyethylene. It's really good stuff, black and well rotted and she is more than happy for people to come and collect it.

When speaking to other people on the allotment they also get theirs for free from local stables, although the quality varies depending on whether or not the stable has allowed it to rot.

Mine also comes packed with worms but I did read here the worms in the manure tend not to stay in soil prefering manure and compost instead.

I would check freecycle and have a ring around the local stables, garden centres here want up to £5 for a bag!

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 11:55 »
I was going to buy off Mr.Mucks but it is so expensive compared to getting some from a local stable for free, for the amount i took it would have cost in execss of £100 :ohmy:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

veggieman

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 14:34 »
I am off to get a trailer-full of horse manure tomorrow but can strongly recommend Shetland Pony manure which is readily available around these parts.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 16:09 »
i suppose i am repeating myself as i have said on this site before i am a firm believer in spreading manure on the ground i was always told from those more experienced than me you must put back what you take out well rotted manure is like gold to a good gardener well that's my opinion some might disagree :mad:

i have a fine lady that supplies me with horse muck throughout the year ready bagged i just collect it and spread it am i spoiled or what  ;)  i know i read somewhere  that there was some problems from curtain farms using weedkiller that got into the manure and killed off  plants on the lottie i can't remember the weedkiller in question but i have never found any problem from my suppliers i also collect a trailer load of cattle dung that has a bit more straw content 2 year old beautiful 8)

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 16:18 »
I am grateful for the various pieces of advice and perhaps I did not make the question clear enough. I am sorry if that was the case.
The question was -- Has anyone used manure from Mr Muck of Doncaster and if so what was their experience.
R

st0ne5ish

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 18:43 »
I am grateful for the various pieces of advice and perhaps I did not make the question clear enough. I am sorry if that was the case.
The question was -- Has anyone used manure from Mr Muck of Doncaster and if so what was their experience.
R

How much do they charge for a bag of "organic" horse manure?

Is there such a thing as non-organic horse manure? I mean it comes out a horses backside, there can't be much more organic than that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 18:47 by mumofstig »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 19:21 »
It really is bizarre to be selling horse muck as organic. Organic as opposed to what?

If you want a price comparison for this kind of supplier, Dandy's Topsoil also sell 'organic manure' in bags or by the tonne, delivered UK wide.

someoneorother

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 19:57 »
It really is bizarre to be selling horse muck as organic. Organic as opposed to what?

If you want a price comparison for this kind of supplier, Dandy's Topsoil also sell 'organic manure' in bags or by the tonne, delivered UK wide.

Presumably depends on what you feed the horses and perhaps what drugs you use on them. Probably more relevant for cows though (grass fed 'all natural' vs industrial feed + antibiotics and hormones in a shed)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 20:50 »
Presumably depends on what you feed the horses and perhaps what drugs you use on them. Probably more relevant for cows though (grass fed 'all natural' vs industrial feed + antibiotics and hormones in a shed)

Even if the horse is given no hard feed and exists purely on organically grown hay and grass, bedded down on organically grown straw, they will routinely be given wormers to keep the parasite burden under control, they will be vaccinated yearly and they will be given medication by a vet when required. There really isn't an organic/non-organic way of managing a horse. Calling horse manure organic or non-organic really is taking the mick.

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 33 queries.