I want chickens!!!!!!!

• 31 Replies

gowing238

• Experienced Member
I want chickens!!!!!!!
« on: October 15, 2011, 14:31 »
Hello.

I have decided i want chickens. Id like to keep them on my council owned allotment. But on enquiring with the council allotment officer only one of the local sites is permitted for chicken keeping and the rest, (including mine!) are for cultivation use only.

Im aware of the allotment act, but does anyone have any advice on where to start in getting hens on my plot!!?

I have made a freedom of information request with the council to see if any by laws exist and am awaiting a reply, but doubt there is if the site up the road is permitted for chicken keeping.

I dont want to just plonk a coop and hens there and cause chaos!!!!

cheers
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: I want chickens!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 15:22 »
What a shame your Allotment Officer doesn't know about the allotment act.

I'd advise him on this, if I were you....

By-laws cannot override a statute.
The Allotment act is a statute, therefore they cannot stop you keeping chickens (unless you were not looking after them properly, eg not cleanign them or feeding them)

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:37 »
So writing a letter to the allotment officer is the way forward is it? Do you think he is likely to put up a fight or just accept that we both know about the allotment act!!?

He must be aware because, as i said previously, there is an allotment just a mile away from mine and they are permitted to keep chickens

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:26 »
I agree with andreadon here.  I agree that a letter is the way forward.  If you invite the allotment officer to inspect your set up it may help too.  Just make sure that your feed is stored in rat-proof bins and any out for the hens is put away overnight.  Make sure that the hens are securely contained.  Make sure that you have adequate feeding, drinking and cleaning out routines in place for them and the Council will have no argument that you are causing a nuisance.  Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 14:15 »
what should i write in the letter? Im not very good with words and dont want to come over as being heavy handed. Anyone know of any templates or anything of the sort either on here or elsewhere. It would be most aprreciated.

Dominic

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 13:16 »
Now you have a plot, just get chickens.
Theres nothing they can do to make you remove them.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 13:47 »
Hi there

Just found this: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=83991.0 from earlier in the month.

Its not exactly the same as this was about a council trying to prevent a family keeping hens in their garden but it gives plenty of references to the Allotment Act which I hope will help.

As far as I can see you definately have the right and I am sure if you approach it the right way you will be successful.

Best of luck!
Helen

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 14:07 »
thanks all!! Lets get typing then!!!!

featherhead

• I love her.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 22:54 »
I think that law was repealed in 1973. See the amendments just below the law.
There's no place like home <3

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 23:10 »

I thought there was some clause or other too, something along the lines of "unless prohibited by local bylaws "not sure now long while since I read them.

Good luck with your appeal growing 238, hopefully you'll get somewhere. or at least a definitive answer.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

kegs

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 16:03 »
This thread has information concerning the allotment act which may be of help too (although please note that the first part of the thread is from 2010).

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50243.15

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 17:08 »
Just wondered if there was a by law laying around would it apply to all allotment sites in the rhondda cynon taff or each allotment site seperately?

helens-hens

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 14:04 »
Hi there. Have you heard yet from RCT re your request for any info on local by-laws?

I have just had a look at their website (out of interest as I am just down the road in Cardiff!) and if you look at their main page on allotments (http://www.rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk/en/environmentplanningandwaste/parksandopenspaces/allotments/allotments.aspx) it specifies that livestock shouldn't be kept on their allotments. Note it says shouldn't and not 'must not' or 'can not' - there is a difference!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 14:22 »

I thought there was some clause or other too, something along the lines of "unless prohibited by local bylaws "not sure now long while since I read them.

Good luck with your appeal growing 238, hopefully you'll get somewhere. or at least a definitive answer.

Hillfooter has commented on this in this post http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50243.15

Quote from: featherhead on October 18, 2011, 11:31 PM
I keep reading that the Allotment Act says hens are allowed despite of any contracts or tanancies, however, I read the act and it says there was an amendment in 1973 saying this part of the Act was repealed, or in other words withdrawn. So how come everyone thinks its till ok? Is there another amendment?

The right to keep chickens is in section 12 subsection (1) of the 1950 act.  The ammendment in 1973 repealled subsection (2) not (1)

HF
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 12:01 »
Right i have written mne letter. I thought it was quite good. straight to the point. But my OH had a read and seems to think it may rub the allotment officer up the wrong way!!!

Its not rude or aggressive  but straight to the point. Im having second thoughts now though on wether or not i should send it!!

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Am I ok to keep chickens

Started by TheBrowns on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 09:58
by Carla

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 40 queries.