I want chickens!!!!!!!

• 31 Replies

stompy

Re: I want chickens!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 12:06 »
Can you not post/copy it here for us to read?

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 12:09 »
Dear Bryan.

I have an allotment plot at the Ely Street site in Tonypandy. Having cultivated the plot for the past 2 years, and enjoyed it very much, I know feel the next progression for me is to keep some hens.

The hens will be for egg production only. There will be no cockerels. I have earmarked an area of around 30sq metres, which I plan on fencing off, and then half of the area will be a fully secured run with coop and the other half an outside area where the hens will be fenced in securely. The plan would be to keep 4 to 6 hens.

I have researched hen keeping fully and would aim to be keeping these hens in tip top health. Any visits from DEFRA or other bodies would be more than welcome. I also have a vermin control plan in place. Eg. Food only in rat proof run. Put away securely at night. Also rat traps and baiting.

The only problem is, when enquiring about hen keeping,  I have been told that the site has been earmarked as for “cultivation only”.

After a little bit of research and a bit of help from NSALG I have learnt of  “The Allotment Act 1950”  where part 12 states the following:

Abolition of contractual restrictions on keeping hens and rabbits.
12. --(1) Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any lease or tenancy or in any covenant, contract or undertaking relating to the use to be made of any land, it shall be lawful for the occupier of any land to keep, otherwise than by way of trade or business, hens or rabbits in any place on the land and to erect or place and maintain such buildings or structures on the land as are reasonably necessary for that purpose: Provided that nothing in this subsection shall authorise any hens or rabbits to be kept in such a place or in such a manner as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance or affect the operation of any enactment.

Therefore, as I see it, there is no legal argument that I cannot keeps hens on mine or any other allotment plot.

As previously mentioned, I have had some help from NSALG. Their area officer has basically told me that it is my statutory right to keeps hens on my allotment, and that I should just go about the business of putting them there, and there is nothing the council would be able to do about it. As long as they were well kept and were not a nuisance.

But, as I see it, I dont wont to go around upsetting anyone. So rather than going about  upsetting the apple cart, I thought I would write this letter to ask your permission. I gather that there are a few sites in the county where you have permitted hens to be kept.

So, I am hereby asking your permission to keep a small group of hens on my allotment plot.(even though your permission is not legally required)

If  permission is refused I would be at odds to find out what reason you have for denying me of my statutory right. Because  act's of parliament are law until re pealled, and cannot even be over ridden by a by law.

Please find enclosed a copy of NSALG's information on hen keeping on allotments.

I look forward to your reply.
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 12:21 »
Sounds fine to me.

Its direct in places, but direct and factual.

I hate signatures but love irony

stompy

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 12:26 »
I think that is a good letter.

You have not said you will keep them no matter what the council say, you have once again asked their permission and asked if it is denied again for a suatable reason as to why it has been denied.

I asked my local council about the self same thing and was told no.
I do get on very well with the council liason for allotments and i was told there is no lawful reason for them to not let you keep them, but there is a financial reason  ;)

If there is livestock held on an allotment the council have to appoint a livestock welfare officer who has to do site inspections on a regular basis.

No is the usual first reason that people are fobbed off with in a hope they are not aware of their statutory rights and usually this works and means the council don't have to appoint anyone thus saving money.

Keep at it if you want to keep hens, there is nothing they can do so long as everything is kept in order.  :)

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 12:27 »
Thanks both. Its off to the post office i go then!

stompy

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 12:35 »
I would email it as well personally, and request a delivery report and a read reciept  ;)

Even if you don't get the read receipt they can't deny delivery so you will have proof they have received it!

Also maybe worth putting at the end please responde within 2 weeks.

They have to respond then within that period as that is the standard responce period for the council, if you don't put that they can take as much time as they like!

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 12:40 »
good idea!! thanks

bantam novice

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 15:13 »
 Having cultivated the plot for the past 2 years, and enjoyed it very much, I know feel the next progression for me is to keep some hens.

Should this read " Inow feel the next progression for me is to keep some hens?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

stompy

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 15:16 »
No it should read I now
We all know what was meant as will the council, lets not get on to spelling and grammar.

We can all be picked up on that  ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 15:18 by stompy »

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 10:14 »
I made a freedom of information request to the council a few weeks ago, enquiring if there was a bye law in place preventing chicken keeping on allotments.

Had the reply today, and as far as the council are concerned, no theres not!!! Result!!!

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 10:43 »
Keep on plugging away heh,

Looks like its only a matter of time before they cave in!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 13:06 »
Fingers crossed for you.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 16:12 »
I have posted and e mailed the letter to the allotment officer and have heard nothing as yet! I have a funny feeling im going to be ignored in the hope ill just go away!!

Just wondering what my next plan of attack should be when the 14 days are up awaiting my reply!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 17:31 »
If they haven't replied in the allotted time I would take it that they have no objections to you keeping hens.   :)

You could always send them a letter stating that as you haven't heard anything from them you intend to keep hens as they have not raised any reasonable objection to you doing so.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 17:34 »
Sounds like a plan. But it just annoys me to think that this council official is getting paid to do a job, and just because he doesnt like being told the facts he thinks its ok to ignore me.

I would like to send the letter to someone above him. Any ideas who this would be?

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Chickens in the loo!

Started by daveonions on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 20:52
by Mr Chookles

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 39 queries.