Rats in my compost bin - Chicken related

• 15 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Rats in my compost bin - Chicken related
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:49 »
Morning.

I have rats my compost bin next the chicken run. How do I know this? Well I open the lid and there is usually one sitting on top of the pile, which blows a raspberry at me and dives down it's tunnel.

I have a few questions about this which haven't been answered by trawling the site for rat questions and I wanted to get informed opinion on here before calling the local authority who may or may not still pay for rat disposal.

The rats have tunneled into my chicken run, evading the weld mesh at the bottom of the fence panel. Doe anyone know how deep they will dig to get round an obstacle? I've tried blocking the tunnels with bricks but they just dig round them.

I'm thinking of digging a trench along the bottom of the fence and putting in vertical slabs. Do people think this will be adequate?

They haven't got into the coop yet (Green frog designs solid plastic) and I'm removing the food over night so they shouldn't get a food source from me but i do need to check that my neighbours two doors up are removing their chicken food as well.

Assuming that I empty the compost bin I am planning on getting some weld mesh to lay at the bottom to allow worms through but keep the rats out in future.

Does anyone have a view about being able to use compost that has had rats living in it?

Previous posts seemed to be along the lines of "Well, it's up to you...".

If I get a professional to bait the rats in a safe manner (I have small children and dogs as well as chooks and neighbours have cats) is there any risk of poisoning the compost? Rats return to their next to die when baited I believe. Could the compost be used under a hedge rather than on food?

Final question is about the council. I am concermed that if I call in the council they will start giving me grief about the chickens. They a cleaned regularly and to my nose don't smell so I guess it's more about not wanting to draw attention to myself and the girls. I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences.

Thanks

Ben

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Rats in my compost bin - Chicken related
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:07 »
yes the slabs should do the trick.
you could try setting fen traps to catch the rats in the meantime  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33 »
Yes I agree with joyfull, I had a rat problem even before I kept poultry.
Living next to farm land is not so idyllic sometimes, but I use a cage trap and remove all food at night.
Some councils charge for pest control some dont, but theirs no reason why you cannot do it yourself with the right equiptment. I hav'nt seen any rats or runs for ages, so it looks like they have moved to another food source...Aden...

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:31 »
Thanks Both,

Our local council used to do rats for free but that was a number of years ago and with the changing econmoic conditions, no-longer a given.

Any thoughts on being able to use the compost?

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:31 »
you will find rats in a lot of compost bins so I assume it will be ok.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 13:28 »
Add some mint leaves or peppermint oil to your compost bin then mix it in well. Rats hate the smell of mint.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 13:31 »
Hi, I think I may have a similar problem in my compost bin. Though I'm not sure if it is rats or voles. Does anyone know how you can tell?

Every day there is a hole appearing on the top of the compost, which is mainly usd for the chicken poo. I did put a rat trap in, but it's not touched.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 13:32 by heygrow »

Beano

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 15:14 »
Add some mint leaves or peppermint oil to your compost bin then mix it in well. Rats hate the smell of mint.
If I planted mint around the run, would that help to keep them away?
Sorry for butting in.
El.

mr.mellow

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 16:01 »
Voles are smaller and have shorter tails.

kegs

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 17:26 »
Thanks Both,

Our local council used to do rats for free but that was a number of years ago and with the changing econmoic conditions, no-longer a given.

You're right there Ben.  Here are their charges!

http://www.bedford.gov.uk/environment_and_planning/env_health__trading_standards/pest_control.aspx

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 17:58 »
Hi, I think I may have a similar problem in my compost bin. Though I'm not sure if it is rats or voles. Does anyone know how you can tell?

Every day there is a hole appearing on the top of the compost, which is mainly usd for the chicken poo. I did put a rat trap in, but it's not touched.

I would get a few mouse traps and set them up, if they catch a vowl or mouse then you have a vowl or mouse problem. If you have no luck catching anything then it may well be rats. I bought 6 mouse traps, the old wooden kind from the poundshop and have had great success with them if you set them up correctly.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 18:01 »
If I planted mint around the run, would that help to keep them away?
Sorry for butting in.

Its worth giving it a go. Personally i'd grow it then pestal and mortar it (or chop it with scissors) then scatter it in and around the run. On a side note I wonder if Olbas oil works as it has a kinda minty smell.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 18:02 »
look for the droppings to be able to tell what species of rodent you have

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 20:08 »
Thanks Both,

You're right there Ben.  Here are their charges!

http://www.bedford.gov.uk/environment_and_planning/env_health__trading_standards/pest_control.aspx

Thanks Kegs, hadn't got round to looking yet as I don't think getting rid of them is going to be that simple. We live on the edge of farmland and have large drainage ditches running past the backs of the houses. I think my best bet is to keep the food away over night, prevent access to the chicken run and evict them from the compost heap and find a way to keep them evicted. If I kill the current inhabitants I suspect we will have some more trying to move in before long anyway so prevention better than cure.

peppermint oil sounds like a plan. I wonder if I could make an infusion then drill a number of holes from top of heap to bottom, pouring the peppermint mixture through it?

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 12:28 »
I put wire at the bottom of my compost bins to stop them and the b*****s just chewed a nice round hole through the plastic side of the bin! The only way I can keep them down is to put a poison bait tin out, it seems to do some good. I check it every few weeks and replace the bait that has been taken. I did use a snap trap but the last one I caught was still alive and screaming with it's head caught in the trap, I've also had a "foot" left in the trap.

xx
My chicken related funny Story!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2007, 23:47
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chicken keepers and Rats.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 22:43
by Tazzy
xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Fox related...what's all that about then?

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 12:06
by Evansent

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 40 queries.