Broody bantam - advice please

• 2 Replies

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Broody bantam - advice please
« on: March 21, 2010, 19:52 »
My blue orpington bantam has gone broody in the last couple of days, and tonight I had to remove the egg and then lift her out of the box so that she had food and drink before bed.
I have been talking to the breeder about possibly having another two hens but I am a bit reluctant to upset the status quo by introducing new girls, and wonder if allowing Sky to hatch some eggs from the breeder would be a better answer. I have always read the posts on broody hens and am aware of the housing needs for mother and chicks, also the drawback of cockerals being born.
If I can deal with the cockerel issue with the breeder, do you think this would be a better solution than introducing new birds?
I'd love to hear of your own experiences please - this is not a decision I would take without a lot of thought. Thanks, Sue

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody bantam - advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 19:55 »
I would give her a few more days just to see if she stays broody. If you can cope with the cockerel issue and have a seperate coup with run to act as a broody coup then there shouldn't be any problems (1 of my banties is on 7 large fowl eggs at the moment), these should integrate quite easily with the main flock - although they will be told off and put in their place by the older girls.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Re: Broody bantam - advice please
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 20:09 »
Thanks joyfull - I do intend to give it time and watch what she does, but she's not even coming out for her corn treat which is very unusual! (she loves her treat at teatime!). Today I heard her making a different sound to usual - it was more of a peep than a chuckle, sounded really lovely.
The trouble is she's surrounded with breeding in the garden - robins, bluetits, blackbirds, starlings etc, frogs and toads - it must be catching!! 8)

xx
Advice needed for Broody Bantam please!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 11:50
by joyfull
xx
broody bantam

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 14:48
by bantam novice
xx
bantam getting broody

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 17:53
by lisa123
xx
LF Broody/Bantam

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 09:32
by joyfull

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 39 queries.