Poorly chicken

• 12 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken
« on: August 19, 2011, 18:29 »
I have an ex batt who I've had for nearly 2 years now so she must be about 3 or 3 1/2 years old.  Past couple of days shes been sat all huddled up and not eating.  I took her to the vet today and he checked her crop - fine, not egg bound, listened to her heart and couldnt find anything wrong with her.  He wormed her and gave her a shot of anti biotics.
He said that sometimes they develop tumours and it could be making her feel ill but he couldnt find anything. 
Can anyone give me any advice?  Is she old for a battery hen?  He dosnt think shes laying anymore as he said her pelvic bones where very narrow.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 18:45 »
yes she is old for an ex-batt so you must have been taking good care of her. All you can do really is to make sure she is comfortable and happy in her own little way so long as she is not being bullied or in any pain xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 19:12 »
Oh that is sad!!  She is one of 5 ex batts I got.  One lived for 10 months and the other 3 seem fine and they're the same age as her.  I have heard that they dont last as long as normal chickens.  Her comb is nice and red and she hasnt started moulting yet.  The other chickens arnt picking on her.  The vet told me to seperate her from the others in case shes ill but I dont know if chickens like company so I put her back with the others.  Maybe she'll rally round. :-)

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 19:32 »
they do like company, so just keep an eye on her  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:07 »
I think you're best to keep her with the others as long as she is happy there.  If they have been living together all this time, the others most likely have been exposed to all the same bugs so I think any advantages of quarantining her now would be small.

She has done well to live this long, and she might still have a bit of life in her yet!  Just do all the good things you've always been doing - good food, fresh water, clean dry house - and lots of love of course.  :)

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 16:25 »
There hasnt been much change.  Still not eating, still fluffed up.  I've been digging over the compost bins today and the others having been going mad for the worms but she has just sat and watched and having a dose now and again and sometimes she makes this trilling sound - very quietly.
I had a chicken last year that stopped eating and fluffed up and the vet gave her an injection and I'm sure it was to get her crop working again?  When we got home she seemed better.  Could this be the problem now? The vet seemed to think her crop wasnt the problem even though it was empty.  How would he know?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 16:28 »
if she had sour crop her breath would smell and her crop would feel squishy, if it was impacted it would be full and your vey may be able to feel the hard blockage.
So I agree with your vet that she doesn't have a crop problem.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 20:20 »
Well, shes still hanging in there. Still fluffed up and withdrawn but I did see her have a little drink today and she pecked at a crumb of bread.
There is one thing she does - sometimes she stretches her neck up - does this mean anything?
Should I take her back to the vets tomorrow or just leave her?

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 20:23 »
lots of chickens stretch up their necks to help food move down their digestive system.  If you haven't noticed her doing it before it is unusual for her and I always think an unusual sign is worth mentioning to the vet
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 21:31 »
If she is still with us tomorrow should I take her back to the vet?  Shes not interested in food and drinking a little.  How long can she carry on like that?  Is there anything I should be doing like syringe feeding her or will that cause her distress?  Have I just got to watch her deteriorate?  Is there nothing I can do?
I have only ever lost one chicken before and she had died in the night and that was bad enough.  Watching a chicken become withdrawn and not knowing what to do is quite hard.  :(

daisy1990

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 19:34 »
sorry only just seen your reply- how is she now?

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 17:13 »
Well, shes still with us.  I thought she was going this morning as she was abit wobbly and kept closing her eyes and her comb had gone droopy.  Does the comb show how healthy they are?  I've just brought her out of the chickens garden and put her in my bit and shes scrapping at the ground.  I thought I might give her some weetabix soaked in water and put some blueberries and grapes in to try and get her to eat something.  Maybe she has got a tumour or something....  My friend said she had an ex batt that went on for months like this before she finally passed away.  Maybe shes just old and tired.  I'll just try and look after her the best I can.

daisy1990

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 21:47 »
yes the comb is a good indication that there is something wrong with the hen.  If she is not being picked on by the other hens she is best being kept with them, as removing one hen even for a short time can upset the pecking order.  Tempting her to eat with tasty bits is a good idea.  If she is still walking around and eating and drinking, you are doing all you can for her.  If you have access to a vet that looks after hens its worth a visit, but many vets sadly see hens as disposable assets and will just cull a hen that is sick.  Good luck with your efforts she is fortunate to have you

xx
Poorly Chicken - please help!

Started by Beth on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 17:12
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by cheriton on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 21:16
by cheriton
xx
Help with poorly chicken please

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 13:11
by andreadon
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 07:38
by thechicken

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 36 queries.