how best to grow carrots

• 5 Replies

Ockers

how best to grow carrots
« on: March 27, 2012, 19:14 »
Hi
Although I have had an allotment for three years now I never seem to get carrots right. I have moved to a larger plot and have been left with loads of substantial size tubs that I was thinking of using for growing carrots. In order to get it right this time could someone offer advice as to what to grow them in please. I've been told allsorts from sifted soil to sand.

Many thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: how best to grow carrots
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 19:36 »
The professional show growers use pure sand but that's really a little unnecessary for a standard grower.

You need to avoid manure and stony / lumpy soil as that will make the carrots fork.  Compost or soil will be OK.

Decent drainage is key.  You could add a little general purpose fertiliser, but possibly also a phosphate based one would be good as they are a root crop (someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 20:13 »
Carrots are very successful grown in pots, they don't even have to be that large. :) Planting pots successionally is quite a useful trick too.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Totty

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 20:26 »
Growing carrots in tubs allows you to be totally in control of the growing medium so if you want some really nice ones, making a little effort when filling the tubs will make a huge difference. If your growing maincrop or standard sized carrots get  your tub and fill it with a mixture of sieved potting compost and sharp sand at the rate of about 3 to 1. Add a little calcified seaweed, and dont sow too thickly and you are more or less assured of a decent crop. So long as you keep the slugs off......keep the root fly away...........keep adequatley watered, not wet, not dry............ ;)

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 20:37 »

You could add a little general purpose fertiliser, but possibly also a phosphate based one would be good as they are a root crop (someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong).

High potash and no nitrogen.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 21:42 »

You could add a little general purpose fertiliser, but possibly also a phosphate based one would be good as they are a root crop (someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong).

High potash and no nitrogen.

I was taught that potash was for flowers / fruit, nitrogen was for leaves, and phosphorus was for roots.

Why do carrots prefer potash?

xx
He says I cant grow carrots?? !!

Started by keepers_cottage on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 20:27
by DavidT
xx
how do i grow carrots?

Started by monkeyboysee on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 09:28
by peapod
xx
Carrots - how to grow?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 10:51
by Ivah
xx
what can I grow with my carrots in sand?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 17:50
by Angelathers

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 35 queries.